Diet

I look at it this way, if I get my cardiovascular exercise outside, I will choose good fuel. When I don't , my choices are not as good...exercise is the key. Good food is not fast food and nothing out of a deep fryer.
Meat, noodles and a few raw vegetables work for me....and beer to wash it down with .I made it to 61 and still sheep hunting. All sheep hunters drink beer....and the odd scotch and creek water. Cheers

Don't over think this, it was, is, and always will be calories in vs calories out. Hundreds of thousands of tax dollars have been spent to prove and reprove, ad nauseum, the benefits of exercise, even for brine shrimp.
Walk your dog, for like 20-30 mins twice a day.
When you shop stick to the produce, and butcher shop areas... avoid everything else.

I've watched the physical training forum ever since I've been a member. It's one of my favorites. As my username states Guns and Fitness are what I do! So I feel like I can weigh in here.

Before I start this know that when I use ("diets") that's all encompassing for paleo, keto, fasting... etc.

The unfortunate truth about most "diets" is they are to harsh/unreasonable for most people to maintain long term. So this leads to the yo-yo of +/- weight loss weight gain. Which is frustrating right? It went off... why didn't it just stay off!?
It's because it was either it was to harsh to maintain... or the goal was reached and no maintenance was done to upkeep the results.

It's been said in the thread, as an umbrella simple way of stating it...

Calories in > calories out = gain
Calories out > calories in = loss

There's multiple ways to attack this, you can think about attacking form the "diet" side... consuming minimal calories... (no fun). You can attack from the exercise side and blast away with hours of cardio and HITT training (will wear down your mental fortitude over time). Or the true best option go at it from both ends, finding a balance that is maintainable.

This is about diets and so here's my 2cents. A "diet" will make you loose weight, but it will come back. If you wish to loose and maintain the loss a lifestyle change needs to be made.

Habits form over 90 consecutive days. It takes 90 days of conscious continued effort every single day to form a good habit. Finding a balance that is maintainable to the individual is where success in weight loss is found.

Keeping known and general rules in mind and adherance to them while forming good habits is key. Limit empty calories: Soda, Sugar, processed foods, Beer... you all know the list... its important. It's scientifically proven that in excess those things just aren't good for us. Increase your physical activity, weightlifting, dog walking, running, whatever it is that you like and will do continuously will be your best option, because you like it and you will continue to do it, and doing it continuously over time is how you make it part of your lifestyle.

Stop with "diets" and focus on changing your lifestyle. It won't feel like you have to give up everything and you will be able to reach and maintain your goals.

Way to go Backcountry......how about next time you ask what everyone thinks is the best Valentine's present for the wife.....
Gee....talking about religious.....taking away a beer..or a delicious snack...just to keep a pound off...........liposuction..............lol:)

Most runners drink gobs of beer, most sheep hunters too. A beer hid away in the creek when you get back to the truck is gold!
I have never had to develope a habit of exercise, it is always on my mind and how I can fit it in.
Food is fuel and I will gas up and burn it, it is a matter of choosing premium fuel so it burns clean and doesn't carbon up your system. Reheating boiling fat to cook food in will plug up things. I believe if you stay away from any food that is boiled in oil / deep fried junk ,you will feel better. You will heal from injuries faster and be more clear headed. The waistline will look after itself.My little old opinion folks

I measure, weigh and log everything I eat.
I don't believe in trendy diets. Other than dietary restrictions I personally have (dairy allergy) I don't eliminate any food groups.
The only supplements I take are Creatine Monohydrate and Vit D
I like being lean and strong all year long. I also like to set a good example for my athletes.
As well I plan, log and quantify all my training.
I thrive on structure

if lifting weights, consume 0.8g of protein per pound of bodyweight and 0.5g of carbs per pound of bodyweight to stay lean. If you're not satisfied with your bodyfat percentage, should be less than 15%, drop the carb intake to 0.3g per pound of bodyweight. I'm still the same pants/waist size (33") at 51yrs old as I was when I was 25. I'm 5'10" and 211 lbs. I never get above 15% bodyfat or I'll drop carb intake and total calories. I eat 7 times a day plus lift weights 4 times a week with cardio. Snacks I eat unsalted peanuts and sunflower seeds. Drink a minimum of 0.5 ounces of water per pound of bodyweight. So if you weigh 200 lbs drink 100 ounces of water a day. If exercising, more. Urine should be clear to light yellow in color. I aslo drink 4-5 cups of coffee/green tea a day. I've never been on any type of medication. Very low blood pressure and sugar levels.

And watch your hart rate.
Try to stay between 118 ish and 138,,, or better known as the 120/140...

Nothing below the 118 happens,,, going above 140 burns mussels,,, try to run in the 136 rate steady... "If" your starting out...

My good friend went from 385 to 250 in 15 months... Either the switch is on,,, or its off... There's no middle ground...

My friend did this on his own,,, if you need help ask,,, there are lots of folks willing to help anyone stay on track if they want it...

Protein smoothy for my morning start. 7 lite snakes through the day,,, and no supper.

Unless you call 40 minutes of smasher mountain bike time food. LOL...

PS: :D don't over think it,,, try the plan and slowly add to it with change-ups...

Each person gets to find what works,,, nothing wrong with being selfish and don't fear the word "no".

We call the shots for our selves, and we own our words and actions,,, that's what really counts...

And watch your hart rate.
Try to stay between 118 ish and 138,,, or better known as the 120/140...

Nothing below the 118 happens,,, going above 140 burns mussels,,,...
That's not how gluconeogenesis works.
That's also not how the body prioritizes burning fat for energy over lean tissue works either

Last edited:
Low carbs, lean protein, veggies some fruit- No soda/sugary drinks, almost no processed sugars...that's what I have to do to stay in hunting shape.

I log everything I eat daily in the my fitness pal app, it's free. Unless you start weighing and logging your food for at least awhile you have no clue what macros your eating. I'm 5'10" 180. Eat lots of green veggies, lean unprocessed meats and healthy carbs. On workout days I eat 2-250g of carbs, 180g of protein and 45g of fat. All my carbs are eaten within 1-2hrs pre and post workout and I limit fats around workouts. Non workout days I'm at 200g protein, 105g of fat and 105g of carbs. The key to it is consistency. I've done keto and got super lean but felt like hell on it. I change my macro numbers slightly based on goals. This model has worked best for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.