Dented shoulder / occasional not cycling 22 nosler

When it jams what does the jam up look like. Just look at it and you should see what is happening. Not why just what.
That means count rounds fired from every full magazine to try to identify if spring pressure is an issue. Will jam on the same or either side of count usually.
When it jams up how many un-fired rounds fall out after you lock it back and remove the magazine.

If I get a Grendel doing that I can usually eliminate the problem by tweaking the front of the feed lips on the mag. I generally tweak new mag feed lips before I even bother to shoot them. I have also changed bolts and had the problem go away. Try a different mag and see if the problem persists. Those dents are from the feed ramps. Usually the bolt will push the bullet slightly forward then override the bullet and jam it into the feed ramp.
Your light primer strikes could be caused by it trying to feed a damaged cartridge that won't allow the bolt to go fully into battery.

Make sure your mags are for a 6.8 spc, you may have to try different brands. Then try this test, with gun on a bipod or rest lock the bolt open. Load a mag with three rounds only. With rifle pointing in a safe direction load the mag in the rifle then press the bolt release and see if you get the malfunction. Most of the time a bolt over malfunction occurs when the round is feeding from the right side of the magazine.

Pull the bolt and check the bottom stars...
If two aren't well worn you can exclude the bolt stars.....then you will know its ramp interference....
Pretty sure it's ramp interference. I'm just not quite sure how to proceed from here…

Attachments

• IMG_5587.jpeg
    IMG_5587.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5586.jpeg
    IMG_5586.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5588.jpeg
    IMG_5588.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5589.jpeg
    IMG_5589.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 44
For the 22n does it require 6.5g mags to operate best? Looks like when the next round is being fed the 1 below is getting run over with the bolt lugs. If spring pressure keeps the rounds high/tight against the feedlips it might be possible for those gouges. I know the 22n uses the 5.56 bolt, but shouldn't it use 6.8spc mags?

For the 22n does it require 6.5g mags to operate best? Looks like when the next round is being fed the 1 below is getting run over with the bolt lugs. If spring pressure keeps the rounds high/tight against the feedlips it might be possible for those gouges. I know the 22n uses the 5.56 bolt, but shouldn't it use 6.8spc mags?
No, Nosler recommends 6.8SPC mags for the 22N.
The OP should be using 6.8SPC mags.
And those mags may need tuning so the top cartridge presents at the optimum angle.

No, Nosler recommends 6.8SPC mags for the 22N.
The OP should be using 6.8SPC mags.
And those mags may need tuning so the top cartridge presents at the optimum angle.
With body diameter being the same (~.002") the mag shouldn't need to be tweaked (unless it wasn't made correctly). That in turn will hold the cartridge in the correct place to not be run over with damage. By the time the bolt lugs get the round out of the mag the hammer reset on the bottom of the carrier should be pushing down on the next round. If damage is done when extraction is occurring, there's pressure at the back/base of the cartridge making the front tip upwards for the bolt lugs to cause the damage.

It is a little quirky. On mine you cannot drop the bolt to load. You have to rack it on the first round. Then it feeds fine. Rebated base causes this issue. I have thought about changing to a 6.8 bolt and making cases. I have an adj gas block and it is tuned. It runs great and is very accurate. I suspect your problem is with the mags. Do not use plastic ones. Steel only