Deer farts?

I too thought this was going to be about deer flatulence. So, "Do deer look behind them selves to see where the sound came from like Dogs do?"
When deer fart, does it form a protective barrier around them? (which would account for some bullets exploding on impact and not killing them)

I am very disappointed in this thread too. Even more so that it got picked up in the email blast......

I actually (dead serious here) thought this thread was about imitating a deer farting as a deer call! I often use a grunt or a bleat or a whistle to get a deer to stop moving so I can pull off a perfect shot. When I saw the subject, I figured somebody had realized that a deer fart was much more effective! So much for professional discussions.......

That said, I have laughed at all the humour! All very well done.

I am lucky. I don't fart more than once a decade or so. I am a carnivore. It's that **** green stuff that generates methane. Green stuff is food's food. I don't eat food's food. I eat meat. Meat is highly processed food's food turned into food by a vegetarian animal. Meat does not generate gas on its own during the digestion process.

I fully expect that all those here who have flatulence changes after eating Venison are experiencing some sort of digestive cleansing. If they stopped eating foods food, this would not happen. Venison (and other real foods) do not smell at all - no matter how they are killed.

We are what we eat - I eat meat and I smell awesome - just like meat......

My wife and my dog are both VERY HAPPY.

Last edited:
It's funny that you would wonder about deer passing air , I was in my stand early one afternoon in bow season .Two doe stopped under my stand to feed on some acorns . One passed air , and yes I did hear it , the other one jumped away from that one and stared at it . I couldn't help myself , I burst out laughing so hard I had to leave the stand

It's funny that you would wonder about deer passing air , I was in my stand early one afternoon in bow season .Two doe stopped under my stand to feed on some acorns . One passed air , and yes I did hear it , the other one jumped away from that one and stared at it . I couldn't help myself , I burst out laughing so hard I had to leave the stand
This is what we're looking for! first hand accounts of deer farts!

Rule 1 when deer fart - control the laughter!

How about keeping head outside the backend.....
OR......AND THIS IS A BIGGIE....DRUMROLL PLEASE....
Quit shooting them in the guts..........

Only time i ever smell something nasty is if someone gut shot the critter....and if they did..i am not taking care of it for them......hope they get your 'fragranceodourve' too....ode to a bellywhacker.......

Amen!! During my 76 years on this earth and after personally dressing, butchering and processing a great many Whitetails, the only foul-smelling carcasses have encountered were gutshot or have experienced a considerable delay in time between the time of death and disemboweling and or packing the body cavity with ice in warm weather. Further, I have hunted and managed a large whitetail hunting club for 40+ years affording me the witness of an enumerable number of deer being processed and prior conditions mentions were the only accounts of foul odor.

To add to that story , when I burst out laughing , I thought those doe were going to turn themselves inside out trying to get away . That's why it was either get down out of the stand or fall out of the stand

Over the last 15 years that I've been white tail hinting (all MN) I have (more so my wife) notices that my farts smell REALLY bad after I gut some deer. Ive never used gloves before this year to gut dear, but this year I used surgical gloves and its still bad. A couple of my close hunting buddies have also noticed and addmitted to this.
I speculate some dont want to admit it. My farts during deer season are so bad, I will leave an area myself after I pass gas.
I know some might not want to admit this publicly, just shoot me a pm, does this happen to you as well or is it just me and a couple buddies? Should I be wearing thicker rubber gloves?
This phenomenon is real. I thought dad was joking when we were kids and he said after we clean pheasants your farts are going to smell like pheasant guts. He wasn't joking though and all of my family and friends notice too. When I met my wife and hunted with her and her dad the first time they said the same thing. When it was time to clean birds or gut a deer. Maybe its like asparagus and only some people can detect a distinct odor in their urine after eating it. I can't explain it either but maybe breathing in the gut fumes makes your farts smell like guts.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.