Daypack Dilemma

My two cents worth. I'm finally making my own design of a day pack because I just never liked what was offered. May be finally ill be happy. Lol.
Always a great option if you have a heavy fabric sewing machine. Might be easier to modify an existing design though.

This a small Kuiu 1800 do what you need, safari sling.Get small pouches for radio ,laser on hip,My own harness for bio on QD.But FHF makes a kit for packs.Have one on my late season set upView attachment 523111
This!!
The safari sling is on all of my, both my Son's and a couple buddy rifles.
No interference with pack shoulder packs, always at the ready and both hands free when needed!

This was my spring bear set up. Kuiu bino harness with rangefinder and bear spray. Pack is Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45. Keep the basics for day hunting and always a sawyer squeeze for water filtration and a jet boil too.

I've hunted three days back country out of this pack with a one man tent elk hunting too in the fall. Basically forces me to keep just what I need and nothing extra.
+1 on the Sawtooth 45. This pack is compact enough to keep you from over packing. If one is frugal, an overnighter can be accomplished. More nights sleeping on the ground would require something bigger/more volume for me though. The meat shelf for pack outs are second to none on the Mystery Ranch packs.

Got an LL Bean backpack that has a single shoulder strap & a waist belt. You can switch shoulders in a matter of seconds, and there's nothing in the way when you shoulder the rifle. It could be a bit bigger internal capacity, but I've learned to adapt.

Many many options but packing a long range rifle and wanting quick access off a sling is iffy. I've seen options for a sling and a pack that allow quick carry to shouldered rifle but I've not messed with them. I run a team elk scabbard pack mainly and find it to be fine for what I do but I don't kick bush either generally. I can get to fairly quickly, not as fast as a shoulder sling or in my hands of course. I run cup mounts and qd sling on my rifle now and can configure the rifle for front carry, think patrol style carry for a M16, and it works fine. The issue with front carry is a bino harness does interfere a bit. I did use a harness style fanny pack for a long time and it works well enough and something you may consider if you really want to sling carry. This style of back pack incorporates a load carrying harness to distribute weight on the shoulders and hips, allows enough room for day pack essentials, and allows a user to run a sling system, and a bino harness is not negativily effected.

Many many options but packing a long range rifle and wanting quick access off a sling is iffy. I've seen options for a sling and a pack that allow quick carry to shouldered rifle but I've not messed with them. I run a team elk scabbard pack mainly and find it to be fine for what I do but I don't kick bush either generally. I can get to fairly quickly, not as fast as a shoulder sling or in my hands of course. I run cup mounts and qd sling on my rifle now and can configure the rifle for front carry, think patrol style carry for a M16, and it works fine. The issue with front carry is a bino harness does interfere a bit. I did use a harness style fanny pack for a long time and it works well enough and something you may consider if you really want to sling carry. This style of back pack incorporates a load carrying harness to distribute weight on the shoulders and hips, allows enough room for day pack essentials, and allows a user to run a sling system, and a bino harness is not negativily effected.
I like the slick sling.
https://youtu.be/78xP_tycCSQ?si=UaxRAjcwUCTGh4zT

Great looking country! Seems like a nice setup except the sling, which is why I'm looking for a better sling system. Holding the sling low, the way you are in the pic, if it slipped off your shoulder, it might fall muzzle down.
I don't remember what sling that is but it's some form of rubber that grips pretty good. I haven't really found a system I like for carrying on a pack that gives you good access to the rifle quickly. In truth there haven't been too many times I needed instant access to my rifle but I have walked right up on critters unexpectedly.

Ya that looks similar to Kifaru,I spend most spring in thick grizzly country.I would feel hindered by that access .Super slow compared to Safari,front.My binos ar small 10x 32 el and I don't have interference. I now prefer the Kifaru for my rifle and I sometimes run it lower, Like last spring .When I was walking in on fresh grizzly tracks solo

yeah that's it. I might get that to use with my mystery ranch pack which is much much lighter than my team. My last 2 hunts were 9.5 and 6.5 miles, 2500 foot climb, and snow. I was getting my *** kicked with all my gear.
I love it. Hands free for trekking poles. I also use my trekking poles as shooting sticks. Shot my elk this year using that sling setup and my trekking pole/shooting stick setup!

I feel like I can run up and down the mountain now. Plus, I'm way more confident and slip way less when the white stuff is on the ground. Climbing over dead and down is way easier too.

Oh one more thing…12-13 # rifles aren't a bear to carry 15 miles now!!! I have yet to find any down sides.

Got an LL Bean backpack that has a single shoulder strap & a waist belt. You can switch shoulders in a matter of seconds, and there's nothing in the way when you shoulder the rifle. It could be a bit bigger internal capacity, but I've learned to adapt.
A sling pack, I have one for camera. Pretty cool because you can spin it around in front and access contents. A pack maker was making one or two for hunting, Tenzing I think. Sitka did one too. None of them have frames I don't thing. Might be good for hydration and lighter stuff, mainly just a day pack.

I love it. Hands free for trekking poles. I also use my trekking poles as shooting sticks. Shot my elk this year using that sling setup and my trekking pole/shooting stick setup!

I feel like I can run up and down the mountain now. Plus, I'm way more confident and slip way less when the white stuff is on the ground. Climbing over dead and down is way easier too.

Oh one more thing…12-13 # rifles aren't a bear to carry 15 miles now!!! I have yet to find any down sides.
I ordered one for my mystery ranch. I always carry hand free no matter which pack so I have access to bino's etc anyway. I have the wiser mount for my poles to turn into shooting sticks and I think on those big elevation and snow shoe style hunts I'll leave the tripod at home. Maybe I should hit the gym a lot harder......

I ordered one for my mystery ranch. I always carry hand free no matter which pack so I have access to bino's etc anyway. I have the wiser mount for my poles to turn into shooting sticks and I think on those big elevation and snow shoe style hunts I'll leave the tripod at home. Maybe I should hit the gym a lot harder......
Good call. You'll be happy.

The wiser clamps are what I use too