Daypack Dilemma

The Safari sling stays on and is across both shoulders.I still run this some in real grizzly thick areas, and or with spring bearing the thick stuff.They don't make that pack but they have something in the 2200 size with built in carbon frame, there packs are the lightest.The Gun Bearer is well known KIFARU-loop off web belt and a cam buckle up at shoulder, this is hands free.FHF gear is the bino, suspension off pack D rings, its the best 25 dollars you can spend and use a bind bag with it too.kuiu pro 2300,has meat carry between bag
That gun bearer in the universal version looks to be a very quick and simple solution.

The others more my light bow set up this is my rifle Exo 2000 hold lot more I run without lid have my Atlas and LR on hip and 5 rnd holder too Bladder Nalagen when cold, which it was this day but had blow back in tubeGun bearer for rifle, kill kit,puffy,trek pole,inreach,onX,I have hip pouches and lid but cut all that to save weight as I'm older this has FHF harness and can buckle my kuiu bag on but has to be a blizzard for me to use,don't like the bulks up front my Swarovski s have caps on top ran em this way for 20 years IM at 9500'
Yup nalgene is going to work much better than a bladder in the cold. Last trip out though it was so cold we had to put gallon water bottles inside the ice chest in the truck to keep them from freezing solid overnight! Some people sleep with their water bottles and fuel cartridges and who knows what else, but can't see being a slave to the gear. Hot water in a pint stainless themos will keep 24 hours. If collecting water backpacking, boiling it is the most effective way to kill pathogens, otherwise it takes a filter and a disinfectant to remove everything, especially viruses like hepatitis.

Don has my thoughts and my setup basically. I go between packs pending the hunt. AGC Ravus Bino harness holds binos, kestrel and rangefinder. Pack is either a Kifaru Shape Changer or Hellbender. I strap rifle across front of my chest for quick grabs. If I'm hiking it goes into the harness.

Been at it for for basically 50 years, and im real particular with my set up.I have a spot for everything,modify most things .Dedicated bow set up with double hooks for carry and dedicated rifle packs.Several old frames just for packers also This is bow hanging on double hooks for hands free, I also have the exo lo
IMG_0018.JPG
op holder for on back, if on bike or long hike This was my Nimrod set up

That SlikSling is nice! Looks to be you could run it with just the rifle butt in the sling in the 'port arms' position for a faster deploy, yet still have the weight of the rifle on the hips.
Absolute game changer as far as hiking goes. I hike away faster and farther with this setup. You can keep a normal sling on the rifle if you feel a shot will be eminent.

If collecting water backpacking, boiling it is the most effective way to kill pathogens, otherwise it takes a filter and a disinfectant to remove everything, especially viruses like hepatitis.
Sounds good in theory until you have to hike camp to your water. Meals take up a decent chunk of said water plus..hydrating. Between walking and boiling, and managing dirty water vs clean water it would get pretty annoying pretty fast imo. While I can only speak for myself, I go out of my way to make things efficient and comfortable so I can concentrate on hunting.

A filter does just fine. At least in the US. There's not many cases of virus's from water in the US noro being the general concern. There was a recent issue of a hiker off the PCT who collected standing water next to a latrine in the "backcounty" that warranted a CDC investigation. My investigation concluded that guy was an idiot.

In the mountain alpines though, it's pretty darn safe as long as people continue to follow basic backcountry rules. For those that rather have a purifier rather than a filter, grayl makes a pretty sweet one. Probably worth checking out. https://grayl.com/products/24oz-geo...Sixq8u6MXxnDnJUogx-R1DfFHZ3M4LscaAtxmEALw_wcB

Attachments

• B70A13DF-22DB-4A81-92A2-642E9D4B60EB.jpeg
    B70A13DF-22DB-4A81-92A2-642E9D4B60EB.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2599.jpeg
    IMG_2599.jpeg
    688 KB · Views: 41
Sounds good in theory until you have to hike camp to your water. Meals take up a decent chunk of said water plus..hydrating. Between walking and boiling, and managing dirty water vs clean water it would get pretty annoying pretty fast imo. While I can only speak for myself, I go out of my way to make things efficient and comfortable so I can concentrate on hunting.

A filter does just fine. At least in the US. There's not many cases of virus's from water in the US noro being the general concern. There was a recent issue of a hiker off the PCT who collected standing water next to a latrine in the "backcounty" that warranted a CDC investigation. My investigation concluded that guy was an idiot.

In the mountain alpines though, it's pretty darn safe as long as people continue to follow basic backcountry rules. For those that rather have a purifier rather than a filter, grayl makes a pretty sweet one. Probably worth checking out. https://grayl.com/products/24oz-geo...Sixq8u6MXxnDnJUogx-R1DfFHZ3M4LscaAtxmEALw_wcB
Sounds like the line for the latrine was a bit too long ;)
That looks like a great filter, well worth the expense.
It depends on the situation though. A filter in the winter here would just freeze solid, destroying it.
I remember a WY backpack elk hunt with my dad where the zone started on a ridgeline 3 miles above the trailhead. There was a muddy, trampled spring about a mile from the ridge where the outfitters would water their mules. I hauled a couple of gallons of the water up in my gore-tex jacket and we boiled all of it over a fire. All of it.
We sometimes boil the water in the winter because there is no choice. Fuel cartridges weigh much less than water, and snow doesn't require hauling. Boil water, do the cooking, fill the thermos, some in a bottle for immediate use or in the sleeping bag - done.

Last edited:
Sounds like the line for the latrine was a bit too long ;)
That looks like a great filter, well worth the expense.
It depends on the situation though. A filter in the winter here would just freeze solid, destroying it.
I remember a WY backpack elk hunt with my dad where the zone started on a ridgeline 3 miles above the trailhead. There was a muddy, trampled spring about a mile from the ridge where the outfitters would water their mules. I hauled a couple of gallons of the water up in my gore-tex jacket and we boiled all of it over a fire. All of it.
We sometimes boil the water in the winter because there is no choice. Fuel cartridges weigh much less than water, and snow doesn't require hauling. Boil water, do the cooking, fill the thermos, some in a bottle for immediate use or in the sleeping bag - done.
Ha!

Yeah, freezing temps IS the sawyers weakness for sure. The grayl idk. The manufacture says to change the purifier cartridge 2 freeze/thaw cycle, and the cartridges I think are like $30. The sawyer itself is $30.

It's certainly not the only way. Just a convenient popular way.

I've had to sleep with the sawyer many nights and hike around with it in my pockets to keep it from freezing.

Snow is pretty convenient too. Though I haven't had to boil snow, live in a snow cave or drip water out of a jacket for sometime.
You're right, everywhere is different. Water availability, conditions and collectibility.

I hiked and camped out for 20 years and drank out of ceeks and springs, never had a problem.Then my 6-5'' BIL came dragging *** into camp on our main archery elk hunt.Been sick all day on mountain , we had to leave.He got the bug, and I went filter from there on out.One day I got a drink and was walking upstream to cross and there was a dead bloated elk in creek, or the time I drank out of a green slimy pond when I ran out of water chasing speed goats. I did decline the stock tank that had a dead duck in it at first 5 miles of No water

This was my spring bear set up. Kuiu bino harness with rangefinder and bear spray. Pack is Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45. Keep the basics for day hunting and always a sawyer squeeze for water filtration and a jet boil too.

I've hunted three days back country out of this pack with a one man tent elk hunting too in the fall. Basically forces me to keep just what I need and nothing extra.

Attachments

• E10A5BB9-2ACF-4153-8865-A26A4173CC65.jpeg
    E10A5BB9-2ACF-4153-8865-A26A4173CC65.jpeg
    559.4 KB · Views: 57
This was my spring bear set up. Kuiu bino harness with rangefinder and bear spray. Pack is Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45. Keep the basics for day hunting and always a sawyer squeeze for water filtration and a jet boil too.

I've hunted three days back country out of this pack with a one man tent elk hunting too in the fall. Basically forces me to keep just what I need and nothing extra.
Great looking country! Seems like a nice setup except the sling, which is why I'm looking for a better sling system. Holding the sling low, the way you are in the pic, if it slipped off your shoulder, it might fall muzzle down.