Day pack ponderings

I have been through this as well and also run the Kuiu frame. I got the Venture 2300 and it is a great scouting and predator pack, but not a meat hauler. I do have 7800 bag and the 4000? bag, I found no real gain with the smaller bag and have only used it twice. They are all noisy, but like DFA I drop the pack to stalk.

I have been through this as well and also run the Kuiu frame. I got the Venture 2300 and it is a great scouting and predator pack, but not a meat hauler. I do have 7800 bag and the 4000? bag, I found no real gain with the smaller bag and have only used it twice. They are all noisy, but like DFA I drop the pack to stalk.
Thanks! That kind of confirms my suspicions... Maybe I need to rethink my hunting strategy, or just deal with a noisy pack, but one that can haul some meat out. The specific hunt that I'm thinking of is really mostly taking my rifle for a walk anyway. If I see a deer I probably won't get much of a stalk where I am, just terrain and visibility wise. Could always drop the pack if the occasion occurred for a stalk.

Thanks! That kind of confirms my suspicions... Maybe I need to rethink my hunting strategy, or just deal with a noisy pack, but one that can haul some meat out. The specific hunt that I'm thinking of is really mostly taking my rifle for a walk anyway. If I see a deer I probably won't get much of a stalk where I am, just terrain and visibility wise. Could always drop the pack if the occasion occurred for a stalk.
To solve the noise I have a couple blaze orange T-shirts I got at the craft store. I cut them up the back and wrap them on the pack and secure with the compressions. It really deadens the normal movement sounds and keeps me from getting plugged on public land.

To solve the noise I have a couple blaze orange T-shirts I got at the craft store. I cut them up the back and wrap them on the pack and secure with the compressions. It really deadens the normal movement sounds and keeps me from getting plugged on public land.
Exactly what I was going to suggest. Get a quiet material & wrap your bag. The material may also come in handy should you get stranded, etc. Hunting public land can get quite risky for sure. We had a fellow break a leg a few years back that needed carried out. Luckily he had cell phone reception.

"funny" story about that... I shot a small bear on public land this year. Like 75-80 lb live. I eventually strapped him to my pack frame. Not wishing to be shot, I strapped my orange vest around him and packed it out. There was a warden at the gate when I got there, and he threatened a citation for not wearing blaze orange 360* on my head and torso. But, he "could see what I was trying to do". I was too happy about getting a bear to be very T'd off at the time but it did get me pretty riled up later.

I guess long story short, some extra blaze fabric would probably benefit me 🤣. Because he made sure to let me know next time WOULD be a citation.

I like a small pack for moving threw woods and brush.My typical is Kuiu 1800 day archery.It is small and not enough if you don't bone output I get full deer myself.I have nimrod pack frame and old frame in rig if I'm doing trips, depends with friend or not.Rifle I prefer my exo 2000 packs weight better
IMG_0107.JPG

My son and I both have the Kuiu pro 7200 for extended backpacking, but we switch out to the 3600 bag for regular day type hunts.
Plenty big to carry out a deer and compacts down for a day pack.

I am surprised no one mentioned mystery ranch pop up. Love mine, plus they fixed the frame to bag issues of the Popup 38 with the new 40. Wish they sold the bag only option for the 40. Bought my 38 on sale at scheels for $210. I am sure you can find deals for the 38.

I am surprised no one mentioned mystery ranch pop up. Love mine, plus they fixed the frame to bag issues of the Popup 38 with the new 40. Wish they sold the bag only option for the 40. Bought my 38 on sale at scheels for $210. I am sure you can find deals for the 38.
I have the pop up 38 and I thought about mentioning it in my first post, but it just didn't seem like what the OP was looking for.

Plus, years on this forum I've concluded many don't seem too big on Mystery Ranch packs oddly enough. Just like many aren't skilled hikers. So people probably aren't carrying filters, layers, kill kit, food, maps, etc that require a 3800 for a day pack.

That said, i wasn't aware of an issue with the 38.

The new 40 attaches the bag to the frame up top, I just added some Velcro to the top strap to tighten the pack to the frame. So when I am running light and shed hunting I don't worry about the bag moving. But everyone has their preferences, I like both the popup and sawtooth.

Attachments

• IMG_2217.jpeg
    IMG_2217.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 65
Thanks, I think I did look at them as well... Just not sure it's really that different from my current setup. I also saw Alpz has a pack that converts from a fanny pack to full size day pack for meat hauling. However, 1. It's Alpz which seems like of "cheap", 2. It still seems like it would be loud, 3. No frame for meat hauling. While it would "work" it certainly doesn't look like it would be pleasant!

The perfect pack might not exist for what I am thinking... But that might be because what I'm thinking in my head doesn't translate well to real world hunting. Or something similar

Last edited:
You might like the ALPS pursuit pack. It is decent size for a mid-size pack, with lots of organizing pockets. I tried one of their convertible packs but found it bulky when in the fanny pack mode, and more trouble than I wanted to convert effectively to full pack mode.

I think you may be disappointed with a day pack after using your current pack when it comes to hauling loads, especially meat. I use an inexpensive Badlands Superday pack for day hunts, but would not consider it for hauling heavy loads.
Agree. I have one and when it gets cold, I have to strap some layers on the outside. It also doesn't have a frame.

If you want something smaller and still have carrying capacity, get a smaller bag for your beloved frame and as others stated, cover it with some quieter fabric if you feel the need.