93Ford

Anybody use a 300 win mag with the 220/230gr cutting edge bullets. Should i look at using something with a little more capacity like the 300 wby or the 300 rum. Has the shorter neck length on the win mag caused any problems when reloading these long bullets. I origanally wanted the rum but it seems there are very little rifles chambered in the caliber plus ammo and componets are very scarce. The win mag however is chambered in nearly every rifle out there and componets are easy to find and cheap. The wby of course is only chambered in wby rifles but i do like there rifles. Componets for the wby are not to scarce for the most part but they are definitely not cheap. So which of the 3 calibers would you recomend, looking to use as a up to 1300yd rifle. I like the laser line of bullets as they expand down to 1200fps which gives a lot of extra range/cushion to work with. Or should i skip all three and step up to a 338 lapua for these longer shots.

Anybody use a 300 win mag with the 220/230gr cutting edge bullets. Should i look at using something with a little more capacity like the 300 wby or the 300 rum. Has the shorter neck length on the win mag caused any problems when reloading these long bullets. I origanally wanted the rum but it seems there are very little rifles chambered in the caliber plus ammo and componets are very scarce. The win mag however is chambered in nearly every rifle out there and componets are easy to find and cheap. The wby of course is only chambered in wby rifles but i do like there rifles. Componets for the wby are not to scarce for the most part but they are definitely not cheap. So which of the 3 calibers would you recomend, looking to use as a up to 1300yd rifle. I like the laser line of bullets as they expand down to 1200fps which gives a lot of extra range/cushion to work with. Or should i skip all three and step up to a 338 lapua for these longer shots.
Interested to hear the comments on this thread. Just one correction, at least Remington, Browing and Winchester made models chambered in 300 WBY. I own a Win Model 70 CRF in 300 WBY.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy it! Because you have the 1300 yards requirement and Cutting Bullets, "I" would go with the .338 LM/I. Having said that I am building a .338 NMI because it does not need a 4.00" COAL to take advantage of the long bullets.

.338_Lapua_Magnum_vs_.338_Norma_Magnum.jpg

Below is a .338 NM case in a .338 LM CIP 3.875" magazine.

.338 NM in .338 LM CIP mag.jpg

Mono bullets like velocity. If you want to run a heavy mono you need powder to push them. My minimum for what you are wanting would be a properly throated 30 Nosler. Next up would be a 300 Norma or 300 RUM. The problem with the RUM is case length and the COAL. Even with a 4" box you won't make the best use of the long bullets in a RUM.

EDIT: See Feenix's post above.

I dont mind single feeding the bullets so mag length aint really a problem, I believe the CE bullets have to be single fed anyway as there so long. Is there a factory rifle that would have the accuracy required to make the long shots something like a browning xbolt, vanguard/mark v, christen arms, new model 70, tikka, or should i just go with a custom build. The 338 lapua improved is fireformed from standard lapua brass right. I want a round that has relatively available brass.

I like the .30 cal as theres such a large amount of choice and availabilty but the 338 does have higher bc bullets. I already have an ar10 in 308win so i got the small 308 choice as well. I suppose I could just have both. The 308 for up to 400yds the 300 win mag for up to 1k yds and the 338 for anything past that. I was thinking though the rum could take the 338 spot with how fast it can push a hevier bullet. I was thinking If a 300 rum isnt enough then trying to get a little closer to the target would probably be a better idea than more powder.

Seems of all the factory rifles iv looked at the browning xbolt is the only one with a 1:8 twist barrel. Anybody have experience with the x bolt.

Seems of all the factory rifles iv looked at the browning xbolt is the only one with a 1:8 twist barrel. Anybody have experience with the x bolt.
I have two x-bolts. 6.5prc (1:7 twist for the 156eol), and a 308 target model. Both are very good shooters. Triggers are horrible. I changed to the "Mcarbo" springs on both. Helped quite a bit. May change to Tunney later. Took your route and added a 300RUM from Jim See. Probably my favorite rifle. Shooting the 212eldx just under 3000fps. They all have their place for sure.

Mono bullets like velocity. If you want to run a heavy mono you need powder to push them. My minimum for what you are wanting would be a properly throated 30 Nosler. Next up would be a 300 Norma or 300 RUM. The problem with the RUM is case length and the COAL. Even with a 4" box you won't make the best use of the long bullets in a RUM.

EDIT: See Feenix's post above.

I dont mind single feeding the bullets so mag length aint really a problem, I believe the CE bullets have to be single fed anyway as there so long. Is there a factory rifle that would have the accuracy required to make the long shots something like a browning xbolt, vanguard/mark v, christen arms, new model 70, tikka, or should i just go with a custom build. The 338 lapua improved is fireformed from standard lapua brass right. I want a round that has relatively available brass.
I'm going to try the 230 grain CE Lazers in my 300 Norma and I'll be able to mag feed.

what kind of velocity are people getting with the win mag is the 230 to heavy how does the 220 and 200gr work