Custom Remington M7

casey36

Going to build a short, stand gun for whitetails here in PA. Pretty much decided what it's going to be, just wanted to see if anyone had thoughts were i could go better.
I already have the donor M7 rifle with a Timney trigger.
Going with a 23" 1-10tw. Hart barrel. Remington mag. contour.
H.S. Precision stock.( I know, I just like them)
Leupold 2.5-8 V-3 with the CDS.
Talley one piece.
Cerracoated to match the scope.
Anything I'm missing?
Here comes the grief, it will be a std. 7mm-08.

Last edited:
Haha hey man, if it's what you like, don't worry. You'll never please 'em all. I just built a little woods gun myself on a Savage action in 6.8 SPC, I know there's a hundred better rounds to build up but the smile on my face when I shot it yesterday was worth it to me.

Do you plan on using factory trigger? Do you have the bottom metal figured out? What do you plan on shooting out of it with the 10 twist for bullet weights?

Sounds like a nice rig. 7-08 is a fine cartridge! In the process of building a 308 "stand rifle", but went 20" barrel (considering a suppressor). I might consider a slightly faster twist barrel.

Make what you want. When its all done, you will be pleased.

Haha hey man, if it's what you like, don't worry. You'll never please 'em all. I just built a little woods gun myself on a Savage action in 6.8 SPC, I know there's a hundred better rounds to build up but the smile on my face when I shot it yesterday was worth it to me.

Do you plan on using factory trigger? Do you have the bottom metal figured out? What do you plan on shooting out of it with the 10 twist for bullet weights?
The donor rifle i have has a Timney on it already. Probably going to stick with 120gr. Nosler BT, 120gr. Barnes, and 140 AB'S for anything else. Bought the gun originally as my old man gun. Leupold 1-4 vx-2, Talley light wts., Booney packer sling. Couldn't make it much lighter. Shoots great. Just wanting one with a bit more muzzle weight and a bit more velocity. I'm using the Remington bottom metal. I'm sitting in my stand more than walking these days, due to severe arthritis in my back. The extra weight won't matter and if I need more bullet, I've got 20-30 heavier calibered rifles. I've often said i could get by in North America with my 7mm-08, 7mmSTW, and my .338 Jarrett. Maybe throw my .45-70 in once in awhile just cause I like it!

Last edited:
That sounds like a complete rifle to me! With a 10" twist you may even be able to get good groups out of the 150gr eld. I've always liked the 7-08, just never owned one.

That sounds like a complete rifle to me! With a 10" twist you may even be able to get good groups out of the 150gr eld. I've always liked the 7-08, just never owned one.
I'm still debating a 9 twist or the 10 twist. I will mainly shoot 120 grn. Noslers and Barnes out of it. I've had great performance from both bullets in a couple of M7, 7MM-08 rifles. If I remember correctly the factory twist is 9.5. I may be wrong, but that's what is sticking in my head.

Interesting, my own 7-08 was going to be a Howa 1500, but I sold it to fund a REM 700 SPS Stainless in 308 that was cheap, old stock NIB at the importer. It is now 7-08 and 6.5x47 running 8" twists in both.
Yours will be lighter than mine and I still haven't decided on a replacement stock yet.
I wouldn't go 9" twist even if you only shoot the 120g, you may like a Barnes in the future and faster twist increases terminal ballistics effect.

I like your cartridge choice.

Cheers.