Custom Build? Help me decide

I don't want to sound like a snob, but if you ever have a custom rifle built to your specs and fits you then you will probably never go back to a factory one. Just my experience anyway.
my ocd has brought me to not but production rifles again. the issue i have with production rifles is that finding 1 with everything the way i want. part of the other issue is some cost 5k and way more and there will always be something about that rifle (mainly twist rate and cartridge available) that's easily remedied by custom! i have enough fully built rifles on hand that waiting on barrels and actions aren't an issue. would be nice to not wait over 6 months though.

I think I'm gonna do it. I think 20 years and a few barrels down the road I'll still be happy with the build. Not sure I'll feel the same about the factory rifle.

Still doing this on a tight budget. Here's my list.

-ARC CDC action
-Proof research carbon barrel in 280AI (off the savage 110 Ultralight)
-Grayboe Terrain stock
-Greyboe M5 DBM CIP bottom metal.
-Triggertech Primary, Curved, no bolt release.

Should come in just over $1.5k Hopefully I can sell the savage 110 ultralight action/trigger/BM/stock and re-coup a little.

Well, I was hoping if others could tell me why they decided one way or another.

Here's a more direct question. Will a factory savage action last through 5000 rounds and a few barrel changes, or do I need the durability of the ARC action?
I have many thousands of rounds down on 4 different savage actions .3 of them are built to be switch barrels that I change out regularly. Look after the bolt lugs with lubricants and I can't tell you how long they will last ! Mine all show know signs of any wear !

It sounds like you're not craving a specific type of rifle and only half hearted considering a built. Odds are you will be disappointed in dollars spent for the end result. We have all bought or built something that we don't end up liking and or using. Be sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

It sounds like you're not craving a specific type of rifle and only half hearted considering a built. Odds are you will be disappointed in dollars spent for the end result. We have all bought or built something that we don't end up liking and or using. Be sure the juice is worth the squeeze.
Good point.

I'd say my goals are:
1. Having a lightweight, relatively compact hunting rifle that I can carry for high buck hunts and also use as a back-up for long-ish range elk hunts in open desert (I have a 28 nosler for open desert elk, but it's not small enough for high buck backpacking)
2. Have something that's highly customizable as I evolve as a shooter.
3. 1/2 MOA accuracy.
4. Have an excuse to get hands-on and learn about stuff works and why.

A factory savage 110 checks boxes 1 and maybe 3. A build based on R700 checks all 4. So yes, I'm answering my own question, but it helps to get feedback!

part of my budget constraint is that I only allow myself to own 2 rifles at a time. To me the advantage of a R700 build is having something I can keep for life and customize as needed.

Is this going to be a range gun or hunting gun? If it is going to be a range gun you could save some money and get a stainless barrel. I have both and for long strings of fire I still prefer a steel barrel with a heavy contour.

I just checked Graf & Son, they have Petersen 280 AI brass in stock.

As to your build, I have several Grayboe stocks and they're ok, stable but certainly not lightweight, and they usually require some fitting and a bed job. I know you're trying to save money but the stock is so important, I would not buy a Grayboe just because of price. If you can do the work yourself then it works but if you have to pay a gunsmith to properly fit the stock and bed it, you're better off in the long run to spend that money on a better, lighter stock. If you're looking at Red Hawk Rifles who sells Grayboe, Mesa (now Pure Precision ), AG, Manners and McMillan are all good lightweight stocks and will be about the same cost or little more than buying a Grayboe and having the work done.

I see in your list of components that you plan on using the barrel from your Savage, you have to be sure the threads are exactly the same and the breach is cut correctly for the bolt because they are different.

I applaud the effort, most of my guns are customs or modified factory, just make sure that you take everything to a good gunsmith to at least have him verify that ALL of your components are compatible and will work as expected and never compromise.

Good point.

I'd say my goals are:
1. Having a lightweight, relatively compact hunting rifle that I can carry for high buck hunts and also use as a back-up for long-ish range elk hunts in open desert (I have a 28 nosler for open desert elk, but it's not small enough for high buck backpacking)
2. Have something that's highly customizable as I evolve as a shooter.
3. 1/2 MOA accuracy.
4. Have an excuse to get hands-on and learn about stuff works and why.

A factory savage 110 checks boxes 1 and maybe 3. A build based on R700 checks all 4. So yes, I'm answering my own question, but it helps to get feedback!

part of my budget constraint is that I only allow myself to own 2 rifles at a time. To me the advantage of a R700 build is having something I can keep for life and customize as needed.
Since your budget constraint is two rifles at a time if your Nosler 28 only needs to meet compactness, a folding stock can mitigate that issue. On my last custom build (.338 Thor), I used a CA MPR chassis/folding. There are other chassis options available; just do a search.

1724503967356.jpeg

Is this going to be a range gun or hunting gun? If it is going to be a range gun you could save some money and get a stainless barrel. I have both and for long strings of fire I still prefer a steel barrel with a heavy contour.
Hunting. Yeah, If it were a range gun I'd build totally different.

I just checked Graf & Son, they have Petersen 280 AI brass in stock.
Awsome! Thanks!

I see in your list of components that you plan on using the barrel from your Savage, you have to be sure the threads are exactly the same and the breach is cut correctly for the bolt because they are different.

I applaud the effort, most of my guns are customs or modified factory, just make sure that you take everything to a good gunsmith to at least have him verify that ALL of your components are compatible and will work as expected and never compromise.

The guys from ARC are awsome. I've called them several times and they have been happy to confirm compatability. I don't think there's anything I'll need a gunsmith for.

For the barrels. My understanding is that there's only two types of savage take-off's, a large and small shank. As long as it's a small shank, it's supposed to be compatable with my action.

Here's a more direct question. Will a factory savage action last through 5000 rounds and a few barrel changes, or do I need the durability of the ARC action?

Does the Pope poop in the woods?
Is a bear Catholic?

I purchased a used Stevens 200 in 7mm-08. Shot it for a few years before I got the hankering for something different.
Took the barrel off and reamed to 7mm-08AI.
Shot the heck out of it.
Throat was getting to the point where I couldn't seat a 140gr Berger VLD to 0.005" off the lands and still be in the neck sufficiently.
Last horrah for the barrel was my first attempt at 600 yard F-Open match.
Shot a 173, 173-1X, 173-2X.

Barrel and action had 6,000 rounds put through it by me. I bought it used, remember and have no clue how many rounds the previous owner/owners put through it.

I rebarreled with an "over run special" barrel from E.R. Shaw in 250 Savage.
I put about 300 rounds through it in this configuration.

But I was finding that I really wanted the 7mm-08AI back.
So bought an Axis II in 7mm-08. Swapped the barrels And reamed the Axis barrel to AI.

I have about 600 rounds thus far.

So my action is sitting at 7,000 rounds plus.

Yeah, I think it will last you.

Recent Posts