Cooper bolt extractor claw removal

doverpack12

Anyone know how to remove a cooper model 52 bolt extractor claw? I have some rust behind mine I think and cannot figure out how to remove it. The ejector has a pin holding it in place like you would expect but I cannot find anything holding the extractor in place. There is a plunger and spring below the extractor.

You will need a very fine flat blade screw drive like used to do up the screws on sun glasses. You will also need a pair of needle nose pliers. With the screw driver push the plunger into the bolt body and hold it there. Now grasp the end of the extractor at the end where the case sits with the pliers and lift the extractor out of the grove that it sits in. The whole extractor must be lifted not just the end that holds the case. Be careful as when the extractor comes free the spring force behind the plunger can flick the plunger a long way and it is easy to lose the plunger and or spring. One end of the plunger is turned to a smaller diameter which slides into the coils of the spring. The other end is ground with about 1/4 of the diameter longer than the rest. When you resemble the extractor the longer section sits at the top and you push the spring and plunger back into the bolt with the extractor.Once the extractor is fully pushed back you then push it down toward the centre of the bolt and the longer section of the plunger will click over the rear end of the extractor. Hopefully this all makes sense and good luck.

Last edited:
Perfect thank you kiwi.

I found a video by BAT last night that I think showed what you described but his extractor popped out much easier. I snapped a screwdriver off last night and got it back out. I'll try again tonight with some pliers to get the extractor lifted out.

Tried again tonight and I've decided it's just not coming out. Actually bent the lip the case rim has to slide over and rounds don't chamber as smooth now. Might just take it to cooper since I'm close to them.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.