Colorado elk hunting license change

From what I've read the only changes with elk hunting is the allocation percentages. I also read the other day that while everyone was watching the wolf release mess the commission had a meeting and increased prices on black bear and mountain lion. The article also said that Polis proposed a wolverine introduction in the southern part of the state. So that's fun. 🙄🙄🙄

Colorado does a 5 year plan so after next year they will change things up. Rumor has it no more over the counter tags. That is the biggest thing I've heard I know there is some small changes on table.

The biggest thing is mountain lion hunting and Bob cat hunting there trying to get rid of that too which is horrible.

I seen that there also trying to protect p-dogs now so it just keeps getting crazier and crazier.

I hope polis gets voted out but hard to say anymore I'm born and raised in same spot my whole life and Colorado has changed so much not even funny. It really sucks

This is Polis's last term. Hence the reason we are seeing many of the things we are now, he cant seek re-election in '26 so I'm sure he's pushing many of the things he probably wanted in his first term but had to think of getting votes in '22. He could run again in 2030 and might be banking on voters having a short memory generally speaking.

I honestly feel it's time for OTC to end. Point creep is beyond insane for non-res and a huge part of that is from being able to get a point and also hunt that same year. So with the current system you can get a garbage OTC tag and also build worthless points for hunts you're never going to catch up to. It's a lose/lose system. Points need to have some value, and the crowding is getting ridiculous.

I quite archery hunting OTC because it stopped being enjoyable. Rifle hunters are generally a little bit less motivated and a guy can still sometimes get away from the crowds but even that is getting tougher.

I honestly feel it's time for OTC to end. Point creep is beyond insane for non-res and a huge part of that is from being able to get a point and also hunt that same year. So with the current system you can get a garbage OTC tag and also build worthless points for hunts you're never going to catch up to. It's a lose/lose system. Points need to have some value, and the crowding is getting ridiculous.

I quite archery hunting OTC because it stopped being enjoyable. Rifle hunters are generally a little bit less motivated and a guy can still sometimes get away from the crowds but even that is getting tougher.
I couldn't agree more.

The OTC tags I think are way out of hand and I think it's a good thing. I believe it will give the elk a chance to settle a bit. I'm happy they are getting rid of them. Yes it might cause more points but make the hunts better overall. There is a few spots I know OTC and a lot of the elk when they left they just didn't come back because way less people after them and in the woods. I think there are bigger issues and Colorado failed to address with our wildlife.

I hadn't heard of the OTC thing, but will keep an eye on it.

If it gives point relief on the premium units it's good. If it reduces pressure and helps herd in the current OTC it's good.

I do think they need to require you do put in for a 1st choice tag, no building points only. That way the people with high numbers of points need to burn them, they can't just keep going higher. Put in for a tag already.

My opinion is your going to see a point hike in every unit on the next 5 year plan. Which I guess wouldn't be the worse thing because hopefully it helps with crowding and pressure.

I just think colorado has messed up with there game management and we are worse off than we think. The unit I hunt Antelope takes 12 to 14 points give or take for a buck tag 2 to 3 for doe but the buck quality had dropped so bad its not even worth it. The numbers are way down overall as well. I believe we need less tags for the next 5 years to breathe life back into certain herds.

For example in 59 581 ect they count the elk herds on the fossil beds which can't be hunted but they count that extra 350 plus head in the census for tags but really you don't have the elk to support the tag numbers. Something has to give I think for better overall of Colorado wildlife and hunting.

I ran across this, I would be curious to see the survey questions if I don't get one. If someone did get it, can you share what was asked if allowed to do so?

I got the survey on antelope and elk this year not deer. But they were the same asking what unit or units I hunted. How long I hunted there. If I filled my tag and what unit it was in. They asked about crowding of other hunters and also crowding from non hunters. If I was happy ect. Then they asked If I'd rather have more tags or hunt less but better quality of animals.

I got the survey on antelope and elk this year not deer. But they were the same asking what unit or units I hunted. How long I hunted there. If I filled my tag and what unit it was in. They asked about crowding of other hunters and also crowding from non hunters. If I was happy ect. Then they asked If I'd rather have more tags or hunt less but better quality of animals.
So it sounds like it was similar to past surveys. I have done a few over the years when they call me. I was thinking maybe it would be more focused on crowding, etc.

So it sounds like it was similar to past surveys. I have done a few over the years when they call me. I was thinking maybe it would be more focused on crowding, etc.
I don't remember them asking much about crowding and crowding from non-hunters to much which was nice.