Coated bullets and optical chronographs?

Philward

I get some odd readings using coated bullets when shooting over an optical chronograph. Rifle is a 270 win with 22" barrel. Shooting a Nosler 140g AB that is coated with a black coating and red tip, from shooters pro shop. Using IMR4831 powder, Nosler data for this bullet weight shows a max of 53.5g @2910fps. Middle load is 51.5 @2790fps. I have an accurate load with 52g but velocity is only reading 2500-2550. I did not have a chrono when putting this load together. Is the chrono reading off because of the coated bullets? I do have some regular uncoated 140AB bullets so next step is loading a few with same load and chrono them.

I would think that those velocities are good. I have a 22" barreled Browning BBR 270 Win. With the 140 gr Sierra my load is 57 grs IMR 4831 and vel is 2822 ft/sec. 52g would be a very mild load in my rifle. JME
Just checked my notes and see where I used 52g of IMR4831 with a 150 gr Sierra, Velocity was 2577 ft/sec. Seems to match up somewhat with your load..

Last edited:
17284534851446539061298292448312.jpg

Do you use the diffusers? If you don't, the shadow may be being missed.
Have seen those chrony's behaving strangely several times, most often it was the time of day for the cause.

Cheers.
Are you sure it's set up perfectly level? That can cause false readings.
This! This is just one of the few frustrations with my old Crony (I glued a level and laser light on it). I still have it, though, and it works (backup).

I get some odd readings using coated bullets when shooting over an optical chronograph. Rifle is a 270 win with 22" barrel. Shooting a Nosler 140g AB that is coated with a black coating and red tip, from shooters pro shop. Using IMR4831 powder, Nosler data for this bullet weight shows a max of 53.5g @2910fps. Middle load is 51.5 @2790fps. I have an accurate load with 52g but velocity is only reading 2500-2550. I did not have a chrono when putting this load together. Is the chrono reading off because of the coated bullets? I do have some regular uncoated 140AB bullets so next step is loading a few with same load and chrono them.
While some may think that the color of a bullet should not matter, when it comes to using a radar type chronograph it may. Radar uses reflected signals in order to determine time, distance and speed. Shiny things, cars, aircraft and bullets will reflect the radar signal back much more reliably than a dark/flat object. You may note that most military aircraft, especially those of stealth design all have dark or flat finishes. This is because the radar signals are absorbed or the reflection decreased to keep radar from picking them up. In my sometimes muddled mind, it seems that it would work the same on bullets. Shiny bullet, good reflection, dull bullet limited or no reflection. Anyone else have thoughts on this?🥸