Cleaning question

I hardly clean. Except when I first get them. New guns get a quick clean to make sure there are no contaminates in the barrel.

I had not cleaned my personal rifles in over 2 years. And 2 years is a LOT of shooting for me.

300PRC had 140 rounds before the first cleaning.
6CM went about 600 rounds.
I have two 25CMs that went about 400-500 rounds each.
6.5PRC, 280 rounds.
.260AI was 300ish
22GT was about 450.
Etc.
Anxiety alone never lets me go beyond probably 75.
Witches Brew and some bronze brushes will make your job not as bad, in the unexpected event you decide to clean after Trump's term is complete.
It will make things happen !

My dad always said that you should never put away a dirty gun. I probably clean more than I should. I try to go 100 rounds max. Sometimes when Prairie dog shooting I've gone way over. In my defense I bring cleaning equipment with,and do clean at the end of the day.

For those that wait and clean until accuracy diminishes or anything over 100 or 200 rounds, don't you worry about the dreaded "carbon ring" forming?
My impression is most people its not even on their radar, but after experiencing a carbon ring I always clean my chamber neck and throat area along with the bore after every range session.

How do you clean the throat and chamber? Just curious on all the methods folks use.
I just use a chamber brush occasionally and a chamber mop regularly. Bore solvent, let sit a few minutes to break up anything forming then mop clean and dry, Doesn't need it every bore cleaning but I do it every other. I inspect with a borescope every now and then, I had to replace my old barrel in part from the carbon ring, bore was pitted too... was one of those never need cleaning guys till accuracy dropped off.... not anymore.

Anxiety alone never lets me go beyond probably 75.
Witches Brew and some bronze brushes will make your job not as bad, in the unexpected event you decide to clean after Trump's term is complete.
It will make things happen !
I actually got caught up on all my reloading a few weeks back, and cleaned all my rifles. Took 3 straight weekends.

Recent Posts