Christensen Arms Rifles

My brother owns one of the CA .300 ultra mags. All I can say about it is that I HATE it with a passion. the thing kicks the crap out of you, even with their brake that they put on it. It also has a problem shooting very well. It will, most of the time, shoot their 1/2" guarantee that they offer but only at 100 or 200 yards. It has trouble preforming as a long range shooter. This may be because of the light nature of the gun but I dont know. He thouroughly loves it, but i think that is because he has to since he paid so friggin much for it. The gun had some problems with the pillars being spongie, but CA fixed that free of charge for him. I personally would never buy one of these things. the really stupid thing is that he has another one built. It will be a 7mm ultra and his exact words were "well they say this one should shoot though". I just laugh.

Micheal, I heard that so I called and talked to tony at shilen and he told me he only send match grade select blanks to CA.

I have a CA 300 Rum and it has very little kick with the break on... But again I think these rifles are great under 800 yards after that you are better off with a heavy custom rifle..... JMO

I think that they get a bad rap because of price plus people have a hard time shooting the big Cannons on that light of a platform.gun)

Never had nompreblems with mine. I have a 30-378 with a brake and it hardley kicks at all. It will shoot 1/2 and less at 100yrd with FACTORY ammo. My gun was used and I had them put a new barrel on it, accurized the action, timnet trigger, teflon coat, free float, all for about 1,600 plus 1,300 for the gun. My gun weighs under 10lbs with scope and sling.

Never had nompreblems with mine. I have a 30-378 with a brake and it hardley kicks at all. It will shoot 1/2 and less at 100yrd with FACTORY ammo. My gun was used and I had them put a new barrel on it, accurized the action, timnet trigger, teflon coat, free float, all for about 1,600 plus 1,300 for the gun. My gun weighs under 10lbs with scope and sling.

Under 10lbs LOL you would hope so....lightbulb

@ Aussie, yep I get just at or just under 10lbs. It could be a few oz's off, but for the heavy action, scope and bases and rings I'd say that on the light side. I figured the probably started out at just under 9.5 than I had it carbon wrapped. I did not weigh it when I got it back because I wanted the scope on asap. It had to at most be 8 lbs scopeless. Even if the scale was wrong I can't picture it being more than 11lbs. Which after seeing some guys on here hauling 15-20lb monsters. I did see a Demo on a video of a CA 300 rum with scope the got scaled at 7.5lbs and if the same guy shot targets at 800.lightbulb

I had a Sendero re-barreled with their "match grade" barrel in 7stw, all it will shoot is 140 grain bullets. Come to find out the shillen barrel they used has a 1 in 11 twist, what a waste. I guess I learned my lesson on this one, I should have asked or told them what I wanted for a twist, I assumed a 1 in 10 would be the standard twist. On the other hand, it is a light rifle and will usually shoot 5 round groups under 1 moa with Berger 140 grain hunting VLDs.

I know the original post was made several years ago but I'm going to reply anyway concerning the Christensen Arms rifles. I bought my first Christensen in 2008 and took it on a sheep hunt in the Brooks Range of Alaska. Nasty weather, hard hiking the whole bit...Anyway the rifle was awesome to carry because it was so light and the 300 Ultra Mag ended my hunt with a 610 yard shot on an awesome dall. I couldn't have been happier. In fact, I've ended up buying two more Christensen rifles since then. Lightweight, durable, 1/2 inch group guarantee, not effected by temperature...These are some of what Christensen claims and from what I've experienced, all are dead on!gun)

@ Hillacious, Man that must have been a great hunt. What kind of bullets are you using? I'm shooting factory 180gr accubonds out of my Charms 30-378 as soon as I get all my reloading stuff, I was going to try 210 bregers..

I've got a Christensen Arms .270 WSM and a .375 H&H Mag. Both have performed flawlessly on several hunts but my overall favorite is still my .300 Ultra. I've been shooting 180gr Hornady Interbonds as well as 180gr Nosler Accubonds out of my .300 and have found both to shoot comparable 1/2" groups...gun)

I have 4 of them. A .280 that was custom built for my dad. A .300 ultra mag. A 7mm ulta mag and a .375 ultra mag with iron sites for close up and personal use for brown bears. I took a Sitka Black tail at 400 yards up hill with my .280 on Kodiak Island... I love all of mine. The 375 kicks like a mule but what do you expect...

I think if you want a rifle that is very light for a backpack hunt or where you are limited on weight a CA rifle might be for you. I have a couple of concerns though. The carbon wrap is an insulator right. That is a bad thing in my book, especially when you turn that barrel down to a very small diameter to wrap it. Where is the heat going? Nowhere but building up in the thin walls of the barrell. I have not tested this, but I would think that would cause very short barrel life. Second by turning down the barrel to that small of a diameter can you maintain a stress free barrel or as close as possible. I personally think it is inducing stress into the barrel and could cause accuracy problems. I also wonder if the metal expands and contracts at one rate and the carbon expands and contract at another if this could cause stress as well? Does anyone else have any opinions or tested these heat and stress issues?

Newest report on Christensen Arms rifles.
I have the Summit Titanium TH in 26 Nosler.

There are three commercial loads available. I have tested 2 of them.
The Nosler 129 ABLR and 142 ABLR
The 129 will shoot 3 shot groups of3/4 - 1"
The 142 can put 5 rounds into 1/2" my 3 shot groups are .25-.375 or 1/4" - 3/8".

It likes the 142 ABLR. No reloads to report. With the factory stuff shooting this good I will just use it.

I just received my Christensen Arms TFM in .300 WM. It is also guaranteed to shoot 1/2" groups. We shall see.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.