Christensen arms?

Listen to everyone else and build a better gun for less money. Just look under the "options" for each gun on their website. Action needs truing, trigger reworked and action bedded. You'll be spending over 2k. Not worth it.

I like mine. 30-378 I had them install a shilen wrapped barrel accurize the action, tefon coat it, timney trigger, brake,. On a factory accumark. when I got it back I was shooting 1/2'' at 100, with FACTORY ammo 180 grain accubonds and BT. I moutned a S&B Mil 3x12x50 LP on it with the sling the scope, the stock bullet hold with 2 180 gr. accubonds in it I'm just under 10lbsgun)lightbulb

Myrifle30-378007.jpg

lightbulbOh and another thing if you buy a used gun like I did have a new barrel and all the upgrades done that their carbon one custom $4-5,000 rifle has any anyway. Its a lot cheaper for the same gun. My gun ended up about 2,900.00 outside of the scope and mounts. You dont get the Garuntee, but I took the chance saved a few grand and ended up with a shooter

When "Christensen" first came out they used Shilen match barrels turned down to a thin insert then wrapped..I built one or rather sent them a new Sako AV to have them barrel it. After I received it back sent it to Lonewolf for the excellent stock work Bob does..Result?? Excellent work and state of the art with all the advantages of light weight in .300 WBY as it was a new concept back then.....BUT!!!
The cost was staggering...
AAAANDDDDDDD!!
Upon breaking in my barrel through the painful process of shoot and clean after every round for the first 30 and every 3 for the rest up to 60, all through out the process there was a "BLACK" substance in the barrel which was "HARD AS HELL" to get out during this session and the gun shot like crap till it was all out!! Bore scoped it during the process but after shootin and scrubbin it while hot over and over, this %$#@ started to dissipate....
Believe me I'm no novice to firearms or any aspects pertaining to them including reloading,building them or breakin them in, but I can only assume that this carbon graphite epoxy somehow was in the barrel from the process...
Now!!! after scrubbin the hell out of it with the JB and any other chemical that may assist in the break down of this crap including Acetone ,break cleaner and believe it or not "paint stripper" to get it out the barrel bore is a mirror as it should be and its impressive as far as performance and retaining very small groups with low fouling...
I never called Christensen about this problem because I know I would just hear the words "send it back for our evaluation" with a long turn around time..
In short if you like stiff barrels without the weight and money is no objective , do it..
It should be a great advantage for the varmit hunter that throws a lot of rounds down range without time to cool as they are a very stable barrel when hot like a target bull without the extra pounds...
I'm currently designing one now in a 22-243 or 22-284 with a fat carbon 1.350" and a carbon fiber ,2 point sound suppressor off of the Surgeon 591...
Maybe Christensen thought it was a drive shaft for a helicopter or an artificial limb or something or maybe someone had a bad day after a rough night there and forgot that bullets go through there, but the concept is an awesome one and with the right smith you can't go wrong...

I have exchange several e-mails with Todd Bettin (Bettin Custom Guns) about building me a rifle. I was up front and asked him about the differences in the ABS Barrel vs. the Christensen arms carbon wrapped barrels. I realize he is trying to sell his product/service, but he gave me pretty much the same answers that your have read on this forum. Christensen's do not shoot consistently.

There is also a difference in the way they wrap and the materials used. There are some articles out there which tell you about these differences. I believe it was in "Popular Science" magazine that there was an article about the process as well.

There are several other custom rifle builders that use the ABS method (Jense, MPI). I am sure any of them will give you the same story. It is actually quite interesting to read for yourself. For instance, carbon fiber actually holds heat and shrinks when heated. I guess you can imagine what that does to accuracy. ABS system eliminates this inherent property of the carbon fiber. There are also different qualities of carbon fiber as well.

I have not talked to anyone at Christensen, but the builders that I have talked to about the ABS method are very open about their method and materials. used.

They are more expensive, but you pay for what you get. Bettin guarantees 0.5 or less with his rifles. He is very accessable and willing to answer your questions.
Realize that that barrel is 3x, what most of the other customs on this site. IT does not shoot 3x better, have to think if it really fits your build, mostly a weight saving deal.

Dirtboy,

Just curious, how did they "ACCURIZE" the Mark V receiver with its multiplain bolt lugs and receiver bolt lug supports????

I hear this all the time that these Wby receivers are accurized when in fact they are simply lapped in best they can get them. Sometimes this means ALOT of lapping and this is generally not the best method to do it.

You say you spent $2900 which was much less then a full custom rifle, really.... How much does a Wby Mk V cost? Even a used one will give you +$1000 bite in the wallet so now your looking at a minimum of nearly $4000 you have in a USED rifle for that matter. Resell value is gone which is not a concern if you keep the rifle forever but if for some chance it does not shoot well, like you said, you take your chances, $4000 is a hell of a chance.

Especially considering that you could do the following:

Borden timberline Magnum receiver
Seekins 20 moa rail
Holland Comp recoil lug
Jewell trigger
Wyatts extended internal mag box
BDL floorplate, follower, spring and receiver screws
Lilja #4 contour Stainless steel, fluted barrel, 24 to 26" finish length
Barrel fitting and chambering
Muzzle brake
McMillan carbon fiber BDL stock
Pillar bedding
Bead Blast matte finish
Chambered in 300 RUM
Tested and proven capable of 1/2moa accuracy or better
Shipped to your FFL

Total, just over $3800, Less then you had in your 30-378 wby and in a rifle that would likely match its performance pretty easily in standard length barrels and on average, far outshoot the Wby based rifles. Plus this, your not paying $4000 for a used rifle with no resell value. The full custom rifles have several times more resell value then a modified factory rifle.

-To cut the cost even more, you can use a #3 contour barrel, drop the $130 fluting charge and your down to around $3670 for a complete rifle including 20 moa tactical rail base.

-IF you wanted to go even further, replace the Seekins 20 moa rail with a set of two piece bases for the Savage Accu-trigger receivers. These can be made very light and had for $30. This brings you down to a $3580 total rifle cost.

-If you can live with an extra 1/4 lb of rifle weight, you can get the standard McMillan stock without the carbon fiber shell and save another $100, thats down to $3480.

-You can also go with a less costly but still quality Timney trigger and drop rifle price down again to $3380, still for a complete custom rifle that will hold its resell value.

Now your talking about a full custom rifle, no used parts, no highly modified barrels, proven accuracy before shipping, much better resell value, and for only $500 more then you paid for your Mk V........

Weight wise, it may be slightly heavier then your rifle but only by a few ounces I would bet and you would never have to worry about the potential problems with the CA barrel sleeve from heating up like we have seen so often in the past.

I see no real advantage to the Carbon barrels from a practical stand point and this is from someone that has fitted many dozens of them to customers rifles and been able to test them side by side with all steel barrels.

IN actual testing, by hanging weights off the end of a barrel that is chucked up in the lathe by its threads and measuring the barrel flexing, even a relatively small contour all steel barrel had noticably less flex then a large contour carbon wrapped barrel so the barrel stiffness claim is not true. Pound for pound carbon fiber may be stiffer then steel but we can not use a 4" cylinder on a rifle so its smoke and mirrors to be honest.

Another disadvantage, a carbon sleeved barrel from CA can not be set back and rechambered whereas most all steel barrels offer the ability to set the barrel back at least once and refit, rechamber and reinstall offering extended barrel life for minimal cost compared to a complete new barrel fitting. IT will not offer the life of a new barrel but it will offer a life extension which is not even an option with the CA barrel.

Paying this type of money for a shilen based rifle just does not make much sense to me. As a precision rifle builder, the process does not make alot of sense to me, you take a button rifled barrel, turn it down, glue on a carbon sleeve and then screw on a threaded cap to hold things together. Several red flags fly when I look at this process.

The main red flag, When you turn down a button pulled barrel in diameter, the bore diameter will increase in size..... This is not a good thing and it can not really be avoided, especially when you turn the barrel down to the degree that CA turns their barrels down to. I do not know a barrel company that would back their button pulled barrels after such a conversion is done. Generally when a bore diameter increases in size, accuracy suffers.

This is not as much of a concern with cut rifled barrels which makes me wonder why they are not used. To be honest, I believe its simply because of cost. I have not seen where CA will even use the Shilen Select match barrel, just the standard Shilen barrel.

Simply put, do not think that their rifles are a steal for price, they are not, you can get much more for no more or even less money and have a much better investment for your money.

If you want a CA rifle, by all means get one. They generally shoot well enough for any big game hunting. I would not call them a precision long range weapon by any means, at least the 6 I have personally shot did not produce the performance needed for a true precision long range, big game rifle but if your wanting a rifle that you can pack all day and then shoot over shooting sticks or off a bush you lean over which seems to be the CA way of shooting watching their videos, I think you would likely be happy with their rifles.

If your looking for a true long range precision rifle that will hold its value, there are MUCH better places to put your money.

I am not saying these are bad rifles, they are just not precision long range rifles, they are lightweight packing rifles pure and simple. This may sound like a pretty harsh opinion of CA rifles. IN some ways that is correct but more accurately, I am much more passionate about the customer getting a good return for their investment and in my professional opinion, there are MUCH better ways to go for the person that wants a quality precision rifle.

Just checked the CA web sight, to get a rifle based on the Rem 700 with the options listed above, not counting rail base, you would have $5000 into the rifle alone!!!!!

Not sure what the price cut is if you supply the receiver but that is a hell of a price for a rifle based on a Rem 700.

One thing I find interesting is the charge of $995 for a "MATCH BARREL SLEEVE"

There are no match barrels out there that cost $995 so I do not see why there is this extreme cost for a match barrel. Hell, buy a Lilja or Hart or any other top end barrel and you can save at leat 1/2 the cost and possibly much more.

Better yet, get ahold of many of the smiths here on LRH and they will get you alot more for your money. I could not sleep at night charging that much for a factory based rifle, hell, most of my full custom rifles do not cost this much but I guess to each their own for setting prices.

Good thoughts from Kirby, but I'll make one exception - you can often find used Weatherby Mark V's in the $500 range, commonly in the $600 range especially if you are not concerned about the stock material or figure of the wood.

Here is an example:
Weatherby Mark V 300 WBY Bolt Action Synthetic : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

New ones are under $1000.

This doesn't change the rest of your argument, but does affect the prices you discuss.

Dr. Vette,

You are of course correct but review the post I am replying where Dirtyboy mentioned that he had an "ACCUMARK" in 30-378 Wby. You will have a very hard time finding an ACCUMARK chambered in one of the large diameter Wby chamberings, those being the 30-378 or 338-378 Wby for under 1000 yards.

Standard calibers in standard MkV rifles, certainly but that is not what I was referring to. My comments were directed toward purchasing a used Wby Accumark in 30-378 which is the rifle that was purchased for this particular project, much different beast then a standard MkV in 300 Wby.

Just wanted to clear that up so others realized what I was referring to with my numbers.

No problem.

You're correct - Accumarks tend to be $1000+ (just bought one yesterday) and it's a rare one under that price. If so, it's usually a "normal" caliber like 30-06.

However, if one just needed a donor Weatherby action....

Dr. Vette,

To build something the size of the 30-378 Wby you really need to start with a receiver set up for that sized chambering. Getting replacement parts to convert a Wby MkV from 300 Wby to 30-378 Wby is pretty difficult. Wby does not release replacement or conversion parts and no one makes them so unless you want to have some headaches in the conversion process, you have to start with the big MkV set up for the large diameter Wby case, not the standard.

I guess kirby is angry with the way dirt boy spent HIS MONEY..not sure i would have used such strong language but its his money to do what he wishes..
I own several 338/378 wby rifles and one was done by christensen arms ...
I love it,,, no matter the cost..Ido understand what you are saying but just like cars or trucks we all buy what we want .

Extreme,

Why do you say I am angry at anyone?

THe post asked opinions about Christensen arms rifles and offered solid, factual comparisions between what they sell and what you get from them compared to what you could pay and get from another company.

If you do not like the comparisions I am sorry but I was just offering a comparision so everyone could see what you could get in real world numbers.

Do not see how you can read any anger into anything I posted.

You may have been offended for some reason from what I posted but again, I do not see why.

How about you post how much you paid for your rifles and we can compare that s well, just more first hand experience and comparisions that will help others make their decision for themselves.

As mentioned in my post, if youwant a lightweight packing rifle, CA rifles will get you what you want, if you want a precision long range rifle, there are better places to invest your money. This is not my opinion alone but one shared by many in the long range shooting circles and by more then a few that have had CA rifles and were not satisfied by their investment.

Do what you want with your money, I am simply offering a comparision and it that offends you, I apologize but that does not change my feelings as they are based in fact, not opinion.

I have delt with several situations that involved CA rifles, one I was intimately involved with and to say things had happened on the side of CA that were FAR less then ethical would be an understatement, in fact legal action had to be threatened before the situation was corrected by CA. I do not care much for companies that work this way and deal with their customers in this way but my recommendations are based on factual comparisions more then any personal feelings.

Again, if I offended you because you have two CA rifles, I do not understand why, again, it was just a comparision of factual numbers from one rifle builder to another. Make your own decision. I am not trying to drum up business, I know there are around 75 members on here alone that would hope I do not get any orders for the next year or so so that they can get their rifles!!!

Simply a factual comparision, like it or not. No anger at all. Sorry if you misunderstood my post. In my opinion they charge alot for what they offer, that by the way is opinion but that is what was also asked for.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts