Choosing between scratch build and gently used Savage 112 varmint

Which option for new long range shooter with custom interests?

• Get the short action new

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
For rifle stocks check out Boyds first they are cheaper than stockys.
For scopes every one always says buy the most expensive one you can afford
I have 2 lupy's that cost over $800.00 and I just bought 3 BSA's 6x24x40 for $49.00 each that are just as good as the lupy's.
then for barrels why pay 4 to 5 hundred dollars when you can get an
E R Shaw for less than two hundred I have bought 3 of them and all of them shoot 1/2" groups or less.
save your money for reloading supplies.

savage7mag139sst.jpg

this is my total cost $366.00 dollar savage 7 mag boyd stock and cheap 6x24x40 tasco scope muzzel brake I made myself.
SAVAGE7MAG.jpg

B&C,

There are plenty of facts you can research about the value of a good scope and what constitutes a good scope for some particular application.

Probably the best thing you can do is to shoot with and around a lot of different people, rifles, and scopes in different conditions and decide for yourself.

If you want to hunt long range, there are some very specific attributes you'll be looking for. One guy might be happy with BSA and another guy won't be satisfied unless he has a Nightforce. They are not the same. Not even close.

A BSA will not perform to the same level as a Leupold under a variety of conditions and criteria. But if you get the performance you need out of a $49 scope, then that may be just good enough and you saved a bunch of money.

I'm one of those idiots that suggests you buy the best scope you can afford even if you need to start out with something inexpensive.

OKIE2 - Nice target. One ragged hole.

regards,
richard

Just thought I would come back and say thanks for the input from everybody. I bought the rifle off of Gunbroker, got it by Christmas, and shot some test loads through it today. I did get a box of Win Supreme loads from relatives but they didn't shoot so well and the nickel that came out on the swab I ran through it means I'm not shooting anymore of that ammo unless I pull the bullets and chamfer the cases. The curls of nickel and peeled up bullet/coating is actually visible where bullet meets the case.

Gun is overall in great shape, still had some copper in the bore but got all that out before shooting my test loads (85gr Combined Tech BST 50-52gr in .5gr increments). No visible action wear and the "scratch" in the stock isn't even through the finish and took me over a minute to find the first time.

Scope is not branded but is good enough to hold me over till my birthday anyway.:rolleyes:

Here's the gun after I got it all cleaned and tuned up.

DSC00386.jpg

Here's the load I don't think anyone can argue with, although I take it more as "luck is a sign" as I wasn't holding that steady and my heartbeat is enough to move more than a 1/4" when not braced properly. If the hole had been any cleaner I wouldn't have even known it was a 3-shot group. Win brass, CCI primer, 52gr H 100v, 85gr CT Ballistic Silvertip.

DSC00398.jpg

Although one question I have is about the stock... I can't seem to find pictures of any 112 BVSS with a stock that doesn't have the black cap on the foregrip (like mine) but still has the accutrigger. What are the odds it's an aftermarket stock?

I have heard there are replacement springs to change in the accutrigger to bring the pull down to 1.5lbs as in the law enforcement and target actions with the red triggers, any source on those springs?

-B&C

Although one question I have is about the stock... I can't seem to find pictures of any 112 BVSS with a stock that doesn't have the black cap on the foregrip (like mine) but still has the accutrigger. What are the odds it's an aftermarket stock?

I have heard there are replacement springs to change in the accutrigger to bring the pull down to 1.5lbs as in the law enforcement and target actions with the red triggers, any source on those springs?

-B&C

In all honesty, that looks a lot like the VLP stock like on the Mod 12 VLP's. I have one and that is a spitt'in image of it. Also the springs can be bought at Sharp Shooter Supply.

Tank

It does look identical to the VLP stock but mine does not have a lower magazine dump.

Can't find the springs listed on SSS, I assumed they were listed under Savage replacement parts?

-B&C

I've seen one other model 116 with that stock from the factory but I don't remember what it was other than a good deal on a 300RUM that I didn't take. Looks like you did good :D My buddies VLP doesn't have the hinge floor plate either. Call SSS on the springs,not everything is listed.

In all honesty, that looks a lot like the VLP stock like on the Mod 12 VLP's. I have one and that is a spitt'in image of it. Also the springs can be bought at Sharp Shooter Supply.

Tank

Call Savage directly for a parts list and then order the parts from Midway... I have found their technical department to be pretty helpful and pleasant and reasonable.

BE WARY of Sharp Shooter Supply. Do an internet search on their customer service.

By all accounts their work is top notch, however I have personally had an experience that supports the other accounts i found by searching the internet... unfortunately i didn't find out until they had almost stolen my money.

The short synopsis is: if they have it in stock ready to ship = good. If you have to wait for anything, communicate only with email or written letter as documentation...pay only with CC and allow them to charge the card ONLY if the item is going to arrive within the dispute period provided with your cc. If the item has not arrived near the end of the period, dispute it immediately.. you will have ZERO recourse but to await their whim... hopefully you haven't ****ed them off. My cc saw it my way, though it took good documentation.

Their spoken word is not binding, Their customer service is NASTY when there is a dispute. They are unreasonable... and often exceed promised lead times by factors of multiples and since they already have your money, you are stuck.

I have recently been racking up a list of items that I would like to put into a custom rifle. I went to a gun show today and found a nice gently used Savage 112 BVSS in one of the calibers that I was looking for and now I can't decide which direction would be better to go in. Part of it is monetary concerns the other is shoot now versus shoot later. I'm a college student looking for something to use varmint poppin and deer hunting and possibly doing some low-key competition shooting as a hobby. Any suggestions on course of action would be great.

1. Custom build using
Savage short varmint action $415
Pac-Nor barrel in .260 $425
Stocky Stock from current sale $200ish
Undecided $300 scope
Mount/Rings $60

Total $1400 plus dies and expensive brass

2. Buy 112BVSS in 25-06 and upgrade after the barrel is shot through
Accutrigger model
No immediately visible action wear
Minor surface imperfections in laminate stock
Some bolt scuffing
Told the barrel should be in pretty good shape and I have an opportunity to shoot it Thursday.
Buy a better $400 scope and rings on it

Asking price is $620 plus tax with a relic Tasco scope but I think I should be able to get it down to $550 before tax without the scope. MSRP is $980 new for a 12BVSS from savage.

Total: $1000 plus dies and cheaper brass

The other concern is upgrade path for short versus long action. Not really concerned about going to 200gr+ high BC bullets in some super mag cannon but I may go to a 6.5-06, 6.5-284 or similar versus only .260 or 6mmBR in a short action.

I originally liked the 25-06 but moved to .260 to get a 6.5mm bullet (as suggested) in a short action since they don't sell long varmint actions anymore. Then I began to like the .260 but barrel life seems about the same between it and the .25-06 so now I'm torn in between the two.

Thanks for the input,
-B&C
You have a known commodity in the gently used gun. If it shoots well it's a no brainer to me.

Is it where you can shoot it or see some targets? If it is, let the paper make up your mind for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.