Choosing between scratch build and gently used Savage 112 varmint

Which option for new long range shooter with custom interests?

• Get the short action new

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I have recently been racking up a list of items that I would like to put into a custom rifle. I went to a gun show today and found a nice gently used Savage 112 BVSS in one of the calibers that I was looking for and now I can't decide which direction would be better to go in. Part of it is monetary concerns the other is shoot now versus shoot later. I'm a college student looking for something to use varmint poppin and deer hunting and possibly doing some low-key competition shooting as a hobby. Any suggestions on course of action would be great.

1. Custom build using
Savage short varmint action $415
Pac-Nor barrel in .260 $425
Stocky Stock from current sale $200ish
Undecided $300 scope
Mount/Rings $60

Total $1400 plus dies and expensive brass

2. Buy 112BVSS in 25-06 and upgrade after the barrel is shot through
Accutrigger model
No immediately visible action wear
Minor surface imperfections in laminate stock
Some bolt scuffing
Told the barrel should be in pretty good shape and I have an opportunity to shoot it Thursday.
Buy a better $400 scope and rings on it

Asking price is $620 plus tax with a relic Tasco scope but I think I should be able to get it down to $550 before tax without the scope. MSRP is $980 new for a 12BVSS from savage.

Total: $1000 plus dies and cheaper brass

The other concern is upgrade path for short versus long action. Not really concerned about going to 200gr+ high BC bullets in some super mag cannon but I may go to a 6.5-06, 6.5-284 or similar versus only .260 or 6mmBR in a short action.

I originally liked the 25-06 but moved to .260 to get a 6.5mm bullet (as suggested) in a short action since they don't sell long varmint actions anymore. Then I began to like the .260 but barrel life seems about the same between it and the .25-06 so now I'm torn in between the two.

Thanks for the input,
-B&C

BAC,
I have two of the 112BVSS's; one in .300WinMag, the other in 6.5-284Norma. The .300WM I bought used for approx. $550.00 (tax included), the 6.5-284 I bought new for $632.00 out the door.
Both are sub 1/2" rifles with tailored handloads and both run about 12-13lbs with scope(s). Not light but manageable for most men. The length of pulls are about an inch too long (with heavy clothing) but that can be corrected. I never noticied this until I shot my Sendero SF in .25-06 and felt the difference.
Pre-chambered barrels are available for the Savage and swapping tubes out is pretty easy and straightforward. I haven't done it yet but there are plenty of fellows on this forum who have. Check it out. JohnnyK.

I think I would go #2 for two reasons, you can upgrade optic and it has a ton of potential for an even longer range shooter with that long action!! Getting to shoot it before buying would make it a no brainer for me, if it shoots decent I would get it!

Either direction would be a good one. I think you will like the Varmint/Target action with a much lower trigger setting. Right now I am thinking about taking my Accu-Trigger off and putting a lighter Rifle Basix trigger. I want to be down around 12 to 14 ounces instead of the 1.5-2lbs right now. You can find some pretty good scopes at $300 to get you started until you can afford a better scope.

Tank

I was in a similar dillema and I bought a used (minty!) model 12 F/TR in .308 for $830... I couldn't be happier bit I havn't shot it yet. If I later want a different (caliber) barrel, McGowen might get the nod at around $275 and install it myself....

Can't wait...

I'd definately jump on the 112 if it shoots well. Also don't overlook the Tasco relic, there was a time when Tasco used respectable glass, if it was made in Japan and the power range suits you it may be a pefectly useable until you can upgrade.

Chris

Last edited:
I think 112BVSS is a great rifle. I have a 12F in 6.5x284 that I really like.

You can look at sold items on Gunbroker as one measure of market value.

If the deal looks right, buy it and shoot it as-is with the Tasco. You might be pleasantly surprised. Upgrade later to the best glass you can afford.

You might even like the 25-06. Bullet selection isn't as vast as 6.5's. But, there are enough good ones to choose from for every application you mentioned.

If you want to be a serious competitor, then you may consider rebarreling to one of the 6.5's. I haven't rebarreled a Savage. But, it sounds very doable with the proper due diligence as compared to most rifles that absolutely require a gunsmith.

There's a good forum on savageshooters.com. You'll get lots of help there.

Good luck!

I think I'm leaning toward getting a used 112 since it's a long action and cheaper in the short run with better upgrade paths. Although I will still be very tempted to buy one of the orange and gray stocky stocks while they are on sale... Here's a gun broker listing for an identical gun with a 6-24x50 scope of unstated brand on it for $575 starting, that's $600 shipped if no one else bids, although there is the downside of not getting to see it first...

Savage Model 112 Cal25/06 : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

-B&C

Caveat Emptor.

I personally have had good luck buying on Gunbroker. But, there's always risk. So, do your due diligence. Amongst other things, I always ty to ask a question or two from the seller beforehand to see how they respond. You might even throw one in that you know the answer to and see if they BS you. If they won't answer straight up before the sale, you can forget it later.

Don't forget the FFL transfer fee. If you haven't bought like that previously, you'll need to find a local FFL holder/dealer that will recieve the rifle and process the paper work. Fees range from $25-45.

Some dealers will not accept shipments originating from individuals who are not FFL holders. Some sellers are unwilling to ship from an FFL holder or they may be willing to if the buyer covers the cost.

So, be sure to sort all of that out before you bid.

To be on the safe side, if I can't afford to get screwed I usually don't bid.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I asked the seller what the details are on the scope and if he could attempt to take a picture of the "light scratch" that is described in the listing. Seller has 100% positive feedback with 25 transaction. The gun in this listing is described better than the gun that I saw at the gun show I went to as it looked like it had several hundred shots through it based on bolt wear and typical hunting stock damage, so this auction looks promising although I will be cautious. I should be able to go shoot the gun this Thursday and see if it shoots before looking at the auction although if I tell him I am looking at a gunbroker listing of a better condition gun he may match the price then I would be at another hard decision if end price is equal.

My friends father is a FFL holder and said he would charge me $10 for the transfer fee for Gunbroker transaction.

-B&C

I think those Stocky's Stocks were also going to come out for the long action Savage as well, might be worth giving them a call but I'm sure they said it was in the works.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts