Case neck lube

I started using graphite years ago when fooling with some wildcats I had to neck brass down. The smallest amount on case bodies seemed to miagrate up to the neck and dent exists and shoulders.
Graphite and problems went away.

I have a small towel in my other hand to wipe off the outside after sizing. But I'm not sure it makes any difference since the graphite's a powder and if there are any scratches, they'd be miniscule.

I notice differing seating pressure when seating bullets.

Firstly I guess I would ask myself why this is occuring?

My first answer would be inconsistant neck tension due to working the brass which annealing will help with.

The second would be your die set up which I presume is using the factory expander??

A lot of guys are now using their sizing dies without the factory expander & then using a specific sized expander mandrel to give then a more consistant inside diameter.
Imo dies tend to oversize the neck which is why there is an expender in it but using it often leads to higher runnout which is another reason people use a mandrel.

Using lube on either the neck or the bullet base isnt solving the inconsistant neck tension issue, just masking it.
Run your loads over a crony & see your ES.

This is a very interesting topic. I used to use a dry lube inside the neck of the case just prior to bullet seating. About 4 years ago, I started cleaning the inside of each neck, by chucking a RCBS Neck Cleaning Brush ( White Nylon ) or a bore cleaning brush ( 30 cal. for example ) , into my drill press, and running the 270 Win cases, or .308 Cases up on to the spinning brush, making the inside of the necks very clean. This is done after all tumbling media has been removed from each case. Then Prime the case . I have not used Dry Lube since, but perhaps I should use it again !!??? Thanks Boys!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.