Cartridge poll for curiosity

I have an honest question. Sorry to thread jack. A little back story before my question.
I have been interested in long range shooting for many years, but don't take the time to do it competitively. A few years back a friend of mine wanted to sell his 6.5 creedmoor. I bought it and heard that it was a decent long range shooter. Now long range to me is something out to 1000-1500 yards.
I restocked it, bought a nice scope, I reload for it and love to shoot it.
I keep seeing lots of folks that don't like it, or just plain hate it.
Now here is my question....why the hate for this particular cartridge?
I actually have no idea behind the reasoning. I have no experience with long range shooting, except I want to shoot up to a mile someday, and this was my cheapest option at the time to get a caliber that would get me there.
Just wondering, honestly not trying to open a can of worms.

Couldn't help it…

IMG_3305.jpeg

I have an honest question. Sorry to thread jack. A little back story before my question.
I have been interested in long range shooting for many years, but don't take the time to do it competitively. A few years back a friend of mine wanted to sell his 6.5 creedmoor. I bought it and heard that it was a decent long range shooter. Now long range to me is something out to 1000-1500 yards.
You define your capabilities' threshold. Here, LR is up to 1000Y, and ELR is >1000Y. My threshold for LRS is not the same as LRH.
Now here is my question....why the hate for this particular cartridge?
I actually have no idea behind the reasoning. I have no experience with long range shooting, except I want to shoot up to a mile someday, and this was my cheapest option at the time to get a caliber that would get me there.
Just wondering, honestly not trying to open a can of worms.
Do some research, and you'll find out why. With due respect to the OP, I hope no one responds here.

I'm getting out of the 6.5 Creedmoor business, so I have a pretty complete list of items to sell.
Curtis Axiom SA with a Bartlein #5 7.5 twist bedded in a Grayboe Outlander stock and another Bartlein medium Palma gain twist 9-8 which is fitted to the same action. Timney flat trigger. I have a Grayboe Renegade stock as well since the Palma barrel won't work in the Outlander stock if wanted.
I currently have a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25 mounted in Seekins rings which could go with the rifle or not.
100 Alpha SRP brass, some loaded but probably 80 new.
50 Petersen SRP once fired
200 ish Hornady cases
2 boxes Hornady Precision Hunter 143 and 2 boxes of Norma 140 hunting
100s of 6.5 bullets in various weights and designs and manufacturers
Hornady. Wilson and Redding dies with Lee collet neck die. Redding body die and Wilson case checker.
That's all I can think of at the moment. if someone is seriously interested I'll make a more accurate list. I have probably 200 or more handloaded rounds which I know many don't want someone else's handloads.
I think $3K would buy everything except the scope which I would add for another $600.

I compete as a prone shooter out to 1000yds.
If you want to shoot Fullbore with iron sights your choices are 308 win or 223.
If you want to shoot any rifle which is a combination of iron sights and optics at 1000yds, 243 win 6.5-284 or 7 RSAUM would be good choices.
Steve Bair

What would be your caliber choice for a long range entry level long range competition rifle?
308 Winchester
6.5 Creedmoor
6.5 PRC
7mm PRC
7mm SAUM
Or some other chambering.

Can you be more specific about the type of long range comp you will be shooting??.......

To answer the question 6.5CM and above.....if you really want to learn what wind does to a bullet at long range 308. 😅