Can changing primer lot change group size

I want to thank everyone for the great advice. I received the shipment of 215 primers and did another test. This time the group (three shots) was 1 1/2 inch by 1 1/2 inch in a clover leaf patten at 200 yards. But the velocity was 100 f/s faster than my load I was trying to duplicate. The Norma brass was the second firing for both tests.

From reading through everyone's comments, I think I had a combination of issues. One being the change in primers, and the other is the velocity being out to the "good" node. Another factor might be that the barrel is so new. It now has a total of about 80 rounds down the tube.

I will describe my load process to see if that helps you all advise me. I start out with five or 6 powders with 2 shots each. The bullet I am using is seated to SAAMI depth. I use the velocity of the 2 shot tests of the powder to make adjustments in Quick Loads. After adjusting QL I choose two powders that had the least ES. I test the two selected powders with 3 shost each to fine tune QL and test for which load has the lowest ES. Then I fire 5 shot groups moving seating depth 0.010" closer. In this case I started at 0.096 and did six loads to end at 0.045 off the lands. The groups for 0.076 and 0.066 were both 3/4 inch (in a clover leaf pattern) at 100 yards. So I figured the node was at 0.071. That is when I ran out of the box of primers I was using and switched opened a new brick. I then tested at the seat of 0.071 at 200 yeads and got a three in group. That's what preplexed me and promped the start of this thread.

My next step is the retest with the powder adjusted to match the velocity that was so good on the 0.076 and 0.066 tests.

Thanks again everyone. This forum is a valuable source of informaiton for me. I hope that someday I will enough knowledge to help other like you all have helped me.

Your not going to get a valid es with two or three shots. I do know you can chase your tail a lot by relying on small sample sizes and then not being able to repeat the results. Been there done that got the tee shirt.

Your not going to get a valid es with two or three shots. I do know you can chase your tail a lot by relying on small sample sizes and then not being able to repeat the results. Been there done that got the tee shirt.
Neither should anyone be judging accuracy by a single group. A single good group is only a "potential indicator" that requires further qualification.

Lots of chatter made about wasting components chasing a load but the fact is that "shooting" is both soort and recreation so bench time is never wasted and is the real arbiter on the accuracy of any load.

Neither is ES. Some wonderful accuracy loads are found to have what we would term excessive ES. We can be too easy criticise a load with higher ES but a tight groupnis a tight group and qualifying with more shooting will teach where as walking away immediately will generate assumption.

Remember, its a very short time ago where benchrest shootersntook their prepped brass to the firing line on a tray and bolted/G Clamped their powder thrower onto the side of the bench and dumped into the case to see what shot best and never ever, was there a chronograph present to measure velocity or Extreme Spread.

Accuracy was a requirement, anything else was irrelevant and absolutely neither the equal of accuracy nor a requirement to know.

Neither should anyone be judging accuracy by a single group. A single good group is only a "potential indicator" that requires further qualification.

Lots of chatter made about wasting components chasing a load but the fact is that "shooting" is both soort and recreation so bench time is never wasted and is the real arbiter on the accuracy of any load.

Neither is ES. Some wonderful accuracy loads are found to have what we would term excessive ES. We can be too easy criticise a load with higher ES but a tight groupnis a tight group and qualifying with more shooting will teach where as walking away immediately will generate assumption.

Remember, its a very short time ago where benchrest shootersntook their prepped brass to the firing line on a tray and bolted/G Clamped their powder thrower onto the side of the bench and dumped into the case to see what shot best and never ever, was there a chronograph present to measure velocity or Extreme Spread.

Accuracy was a requirement, anything else was irrelevant and absolutely neither the equal of accuracy nor a requirement to know.
I remember those days, they couldn't even tell you what the load was. Just 42 clicks of H322.