Caliber for medium range Elk

I have used/owned a 7mm Rem Mag (sold), 300 WSM (own), 270 WSM (own), 30-06 (own), 28 Nosler (own) and 6.5 PRC (own) for elk. I have only killed elk with the 28 Nosler but it is punishing to shoot. Hopefully it will be better after I install my TBAC Ultra 9! The PRC is a recent buy and I've only taken an antelope with it so far. Without a doubt the lowest recoiling rifle out of the bunch is my 6.5 PRC (Seekins Havak PH1, 8.9 lbs with scope and sling). The factory 143 Gr Hornady ELD-X has ~1600 ft-lbs of energy at 500 yards, and my handloads with 130 Gr Sierra TGK at 600 yds has 1452 ft-lbs of energy. Most would agree this is sufficient for a well-placed shot on an elk at 600 yards. These ballistics are of course very similar to a 6.5-284 if you found a nice rifle in that caliber and you handload. One other great consideration with reasonable recoil at the 7mm diameter is the 280 AI. With Hornady 162 Gr ELD-X this round has ~1681 ft-lbs of energy at 500 yards and would do the job at 600 yards as well. Have fun with your choice!

OK, here is the scenario.....you are a medium range 0-600 yd elk hunter. You are looking for a rifle with moderate(light as possible without a brake) recoil, under 10lbs with scope and on a model 70 action.....

the real question is what caliber? 284 Win, 280 AI, 30-06(AI or regular).....or jump to the magnum bolt face and 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Wthby, etc..

thoughts?

Merry Christmas!
I've been thinking long and hard about this one. My choice would be a 300 WM with 215gr Berger. But a ton of good info here from knowledgeable hunters. After researching this for a long time, depending on the load, a 270 Win to 300 WM will work. As of now my go to rifle is a PF Model 70 FWT in a McMillan stock 22" barrel 30-06. But I consider it more of a reliable 400 yard rifle. I shoot it to 750-800 yards but 400-450 yards is my comfort zone with that rifle for big game hunting. I hate muzzle brakes but if I get a 300 Win Mag I'll put a brake on it. Not because the recoil bothers me, but to spot my shots. To be honest even if I went with a lighter caliber I'd brake it now just to be able to spot my shot.

What is the advantage of building a gun around a cartridge that you have every intention of loading down to (to avoid recoil). You are purposely Limiting the range of bullets you will likely shoot and whatever you do end up shooting will have less-than-ideal BC for that caliber

if your goal is to shoot 177 gr bullets, why not build something in .284 so that you can practice with 140's and 150's, then shoot the heavies for hunting (which will have even better BC than the lites)?

it's been mentioned before, recoil is subjective; so while you might feel that the 300 win isn't too much recoil, others might. You might think they are being ******'s, but they might look at you shooting your thunderstick and think you are a big knuckle-dragging Neanderthal. we can all think that everyone else is crazy, but what's right for you isn't right for everyone.

I killed a bunch of mule deer and elk with a 300 WM and it was very effective. I had a 7RM built and have killed a bunch more critters. I found it to be just the right amount of recoil in an 8-1/2 lbs scoped rifle with no brake shooting 160's. i would build it again.

my bad. I see where the person you quoted specifically mentioned loading down to 2900 FPS. Apologies.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts