Caliber choice, chasing the fad.

If we never improved or chased ,'fads' we'd still be using 30-30s. Lol or 44-40s
308s and 270s are certainly a step up from that. 6.5s and 7s are just another evolution. Not a lot difference between the tried and trusted .277 cal vs .264 or .284 in displacement.

I'm guilty of downsizing. I used to love the 300 win mag and .338 lapua. But I got bite by the creed craze. After taking lots of game with my .25 I realized that practice, Bullets selection and limiting yourself to what you know you can do is better than any large caliber.
I just took a large audad with my 6.5 and 124gr bullet. I shoot very tight groups with it and that builds my confidence which helps. I limit myself to 600 yards on game because I know I can hit it right where I need to with that rifle. If I can get closer I will. Spotted audad at 404 and closer it down to 100 easily and made my chances of harvest go up. Now on pigs I don't mind trying. That being said I can say for sure a gut shot hog with a .375 Am doesn't go far like it would with the creed.

Seriously though - how hard is it to get within 600 yards of game? It's not hard. Those who choose to shoot them farther is because they want to, not have to, which I am totally down with by the way - I am not anti-long range. But I have never felt like I lost an opportunity because i needed to get to within 600 yards if I was carrying my 25-06. It just means hiking a little bit further.

Seriously though - how hard is it to get within 600 yards of game? It's not hard. Those who choose to shoot them farther is because they want to, not have to, which I am totally down with by the way - I am not anti-long range. But I have never felt like I lost an opportunity because i needed to get to within 600 yards if I was carrying my 25-06. It just means hiking a little bit further.
The longest shot I have killing a cow elk is 1127, but you are right I can always get 600 from them. And that goes to say I know they can be killed with a 6.5x47 because I did it. Elk aren't magical I know hit them with a 80 grain 224 and they die. But after taking a lot of people hunting and watching them make not so perfect shots the bigger rounds tend to brake the game down better and offer a better chance of follow up shots or leave a big enough blood trail to find them again. So while I still will keep my 6.5 saum and 257 wby for use myself, I'll bring a 30 nosler for people I take for a little better chance to recover in a bit so favorable shot. I am not arguing that it can't be done with smaller calibers I am only saying it can be done better. And what's wrong with better?

I think a lot of "fads" are created by those that can't shoot looking to find success in a new product. Whether that be guns, ammunition, bullets or cartridges doesn't matter.

Horsepower very seldom makes up for shot placement. I have read a lot of Chuck Hawk articles on recoil and accuracy. He believes approximate 15-20lbs of recoil energy is the most a "typical" shooter can withstand without flinching.

But then again, what the heck would we talk about for hours if nothing changed (for better or worse)? LOL

Steve

I think a lot of "fads" are created by those that can't shoot looking to find success in a new product. Whether that be guns, ammunition, bullets or cartridges doesn't matter.

Horsepower very seldom makes up for shot placement. I have read a lot of Chuck Hawk articles on recoil and accuracy. He believes approximate 15-20lbs of recoil energy is the most a "typical" shooter can withstand without flinching.

But then again, what the heck would we talk about for hours if nothing changed (for better or worse)? LOL

Steve
I think the new technology in muzzle brakes has changed shooting high recoil guns. I have a 338 Norma with a zrodelta muzzle brake and it's like shooting a 6.5 with no brake. Very nice to shoot.
And your right about the new products, they keep us chatting about them! I am sure that won't ever stop.

I think the new technology in muzzle brakes has changed shooting high recoil guns. I have a 338 Norma with a zrodelta muzzle brake and it's like shooting a 6.5 with no brake. Very nice to shoot.
And your right about the new products, they keep us chatting about them! I am sure that won't ever stop.
Muzzle brakes are nice if you can deal with them. Even with ear protection they drive me nuts

laker, we're not fad chasers, her cartridge was developed in 1958, and has worked very well in the field ever since. She absolutely hates brakes.....she has developed a mental attitude to deal with a little recoil. She hates to shoot paper from the bench...but from field positions at game, prone, sitting, from sticks, etc., I want to be well beyond 500 yards if I'm her intended target! memtb

Last edited:

Steve

Good point - a lot of guys like to brake the big mags thinking flinching is only a product of recoil...just as many people flinch at the extra noise of a braked rifle if they don't have/use hearing protection. Its easy to forget to put the plugs in when the excitement sets in...i have pulled the trigger too many times with the plugs still hanging around my neck. Thats why I don't use brakes - the tinitus I already have is plenty fun to deal with.

To keep piece (for myself) on this forum I will not give my opinion on muzzle breaks.

I freaking hate them, and I hate hunting with guys who use them. I hope they can spot their own shot, because I am sure as hell using my hands to plug my ears instead of watch through my binos Or spotter.

I could understand having time to put hearing protection on out west and/or for long range shooting. However, when a big buck chases a doe through the saddle at 50 yards and is headed down the hill, just getting him to stop is enough to worry about much less remembering the dang ear plugs.

I only shoot rifles that I can handle the recoil on without flinching. If I start develop a flinch, it's back to the range to condition my brain and work on fundamentals.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.