Buying a used Labradar, what do I need to know before I buy

DartonJager

Now that a lot of guys are buying the new Garmin Xero C1 I am seeing Labradar complete kits used for under $300 on Ebay and even new units for well under $400.
Always wanted one but my optical chrono worked well enough I couldn't justify spends $600. But $250-$275 for a used one I can do.
Is it a good idea to buy a used labradar or not? And if YES should I buy one particular generation or model VS another? I don't know much about them and right now there is one advertised as LNIB on ebay entire kit including hard sided carry case for under $300.
What little research I have done tells of some issues with used Labradars ports for connecting cables to becoming so loose they need replacing and people have posted claims that Labradar is not that welcoming about repairs to second hand unit bought used I have no way to confirm this as true but it does make one think. Also can there be any software update issues with older Labradar models that can cause problems.

Like to add or should I wait a bit and see if used Labradar prices for them come down any.

I would use it for everything from 22lr to centerfire rifles HG's and archery.

Advice from Labradar unit owners would be of immeasurable help,

Last edited:
Save up for a Garmin. It is a quantum step up from the LR. I owned a LR for about five years and it served me well for the most part. My biggest problems were missing shots and not being able to capture velocities above 3900 fps. Also having to reposition the unit when switching between rifles with and without a break was a PITA. My unit experienced intermittent connection issues with the battery pack and it took some jiggling to get a solid connection. Appeared that the connection within the LR would likely require replacement at some point. Firmware updates are available online and can be installed easily via an SD card.

If you go the used LR route, I would recommend checking the classifies here. I would rather buy from someone who has used the unit than a reseller.

I would buy a used Magnetospeed - cheap. Market collapsed with the introduction of the Garmin. The Garmin is one of the few shooting products that truly lives up to its hype. Have not touched my Magnetospeed since getting the Garmin and do not even try to sell the Magnetospeed as market for them collapsed.

I have had my LR since they first came out. I use it quite a bit, and have had no issues with it. I plug my battery pack into it as well as the trigger. You can get magnetic power cord adapter, that eliminates socket wear. But I have had no issues.
Mine does not miss shots. I put an aiming device on top and the trigger with the magnet from JKL precision. Also I position the LR next to my rifle, about even with the objective bell of my scope.

The best advice I can give on buying a used labradar, is save your money and buy a Garmin.

I picked up a used labradar pretty cheap, like $100 or something. A friend got it with some other stuff and had no use for it. I had it about a year, maybe a little more and the sucker bricked on me.

I would miss a shot occasionally if it wasn't aimed at the target just right, and it absolutely refused to work with my 460s&w. Just too much boom for it's little brain I guess.

There was a guy at my gun club a couple weeks ago cussing his LR almost every shot. Although, in his case I think he was the problem.
With the Garmin, you get it out, turn it on, point it downrange, hit the button, and you're off to the races. No muss, no fuss, it just works.

I would buy a used magneto speed over a LR. I owned both at the same time. I never noticed any harm towards accuracy from my magnetospeed. Maybe a little poi shift, but it wasn't much, if any.