Buy 270 brass for 25-06

It is impossible to find new 25-06 brass so I started to experiment with 30-06 and 270 brass. 30-06 is the parent cartridge for both cases. Using my 25-06 bushing die I was able to neck both sizes down to 25 cal with no problem. The issue is that after sizing the necks are too long for the 25-06 chamber so all that I need to do is to trim them back to SAAMI length. I found that if I adjust the neck bushing down almost as far as it will go and still have it loose the necks are sized down almost to the neck shoulder junction with no 'donut' visible.
They produce extremely accurate ammo using Berger 115g VLDs.
I'm posting this because I've read several posts on here about the need to turn the necks to get them to fit because the brass will be too thick. I've not had that issue. I buy Starline 270 brass and it works perfectly.
I had this same problem with my 25-06 in the early '70s. I called the RCBS tech line, and he suggested I use their trim die to file down the LC 30-06 brass I had. It worked like a charm.

Many decades ago, I was blessed with a multitude of 308 brass but had several 243 rifles. I set about converting the cases by running them thru 7mm 6.5 and 250 dies. Then reamed out the inside of the case necks. I will never do that again, not worth the time ir effort. But new cases!

Recent Posts