Bullets that don't care about seating depth

Nosler Accubonds aren't sensitive to seating depth at all and are very accurate,
Wow! Everyone needs to understand that this statement is NOT TRUE! However his perceived lack of seating depth sensitivity is due largely to his personal qualification of "very accurate". You will NEVER hear a benchrest shooter utter that blasphemous phrase!

Nosler Accubonds aren't sensitive to seating depth at all and are very accurate, ABLR are highly sensitive to seating depth, however, they will shoot faster than their equivalent weight Accubond. Have seen this in several calibres now, right up to 338 and 375, 300gr in both cals.

Cheers.
I don't have a problem with this quote. The standard AccuBonds shot well at published COAL because they have a forgiving tangent ogive. I haven't shot the ABLR's but I'd expect them to be sentive to seating depths due to a more secant ogive. And could be faster if the bearing surface is less.

My 7 mags, custom and factory like the 140g Accubonds seated .003 from the lands, even .020 off the lands and groups start to open up to 5/8-3/4". I sort the accubond by ogive length, then Rock On!

I'm a new reloader. I am working on load development for my 270 Win using 130gr Berger VLD hunting pills. I've read, and in fact Berger states, that they can be sensitive to seating depth. I also read that some bullets, like Lapua Scenars, aren't sensitive to seating depth. I was hoping some people on here can give some real world analysis on which bullets are picky and which ones aren't. I'm not downplaying the importance of seating depth, but would rather not have to chase it at the range. I appreciate all of the input in advance.
In .277 Cal.,.. the Hornady 145 gr. ELD-X's and, the 140 grain, Berger, Classic Hunters shot, the Best and, Killed, the BEST, for Me and our, Family.
Both Bullets, like some, "Jump", so they Fit and "Shoot" well from, most Magazines with, "Best in Class",.. BC's !
I'd look no further than, either of, these Two, Bullets with, the correct Powder charge. My Next Choice would be, Sierra Game Kings.
HVLD'S are Fine,.. IF you have the TIME to, "Play" with them ( "Tune" bullet with mucho,.. "Jump" Testing )

Last edited:
While not very sexy or even hyped/ marketed the berger classic line is relatively easy to find a load and I've had very good results on animals up to mule deer with the 95gr out of a 243. This bullet can be pushed very fast with good results in the 2 rifles I launch it from.

Berger states, that they can be sensitive to seating depth. I also read that some bullets, like Lapua Scenars, aren't sensitive to seating depth.
139 Lapua Scenars had a sweet spot (in MY barrel) ~8thou off the lands, with a window of +/- 3thou.

Don't write off VLDs as problem bullets. They just come into/out of windows more sharply.
If anything, it's easier with them to clearly see what they like and don't like in your barrel.
That's important too. I like it when I know that I'm in the right seating.

I have not had a barrel-bullet combo yet that was totally immune to seating adjustments.
Even when they shoot good enough across the board, there is something better and something worse.

139 Lapua Scenars had a sweet spot (in MY barrel) ~8thou off the lands, with a window of +/- 3thou.

Don't write off VLDs as problem bullets. They just come into/out of windows more sharply.
If anything, it's easier with them to clearly see what they like and don't like in your barrel.
That's important too. I like it when I know that I'm in the right seating.

I have not had a barrel-bullet combo yet that was totally immune to seating adjustments.
Even when they shoot good enough across the board, there is something better and something worse.
I've seated VLD out to mag length in 308 win. I still got the 168 gr Berger VLD to shoot 3/8" or less at mag length. Well away from the lands.

I've never shot the newer mono's, but every bullet I have tried over the last 35 years definitely showed a preference concerning depth.
And it's usually similar from gun to gun to some degree, with the same or a similar reamer.
Gives you a closer range to start in.

Wow! Everyone needs to understand that this statement is NOT TRUE! However his perceived lack of seating depth sensitivity is due largely to his personal qualification of "very accurate". You will NEVER hear a benchrest shooter utter that blasphemous phrase!
I think you need to remove your hand off your member!

And the conversation goes infantile! Great job dragging this conversation down to pure childishness. You are what is wrong with online conversations. Your lack of insight sent most viewers running from this thread. You think you're witty..... and you are.... at the local Jr high.

And the conversation goes infantile! Great job dragging this conversation down to pure childishness. You are what is wrong with online conversations. Your lack of insight sent most viewers running from this thread. You think you're witty..... and you are.... at the local Jr high.
I have ZERO time for foolish statements such as yours…bringing BR shooters into a hunting forum. Hmmmm, okay!
If you believe your statement was conversation, you are sorely mistaken. Move on…

Anyone, including long range hunters, concerned with accuracy should understand that all bullets will perform differently as seating depth is changed. Lack of personal observation of this fact is simply due to a person's standard of measurable outcome. The fact remains a fact regardless.

Very few people on this forum come here to be told that paper plate accuracy at 100 yds is acceptable. The vast majority visit this site to gain knowledge regarding improving accuracy and group size. Statements contrary to factual evidence should be corrected or at least qualified. For all here to improve their accuracy and reloading standards the original statement needs to be understood to be false. Even if the poster's personal observation made it appear true to his standard and sample size.

Again, my statement is true regardless of infantile and factless posts of criticism. Please bring some logic or at least Google yourself some internet knowledge to bring to the conversation when disagreeing as opposed to your childish reference to a personally gratifying act.

2 weeks ago I did load development on my new Browning X-Bolt in 270 WSM using Hammer's 122gr HHT over RL16. 4 shots at the starting powder charge for cleaning/warmup shots. Powder charges increased in 1% increments. 5th increment showed an ejector mark on the head and the head grew 0.001". I back off 2% and fired 2 more rounds to check the group. 11 shots fired to find a 0.40" 3 shot group.

As far as seating depth, I used the Sinclair OAL gauge to check maximum allowed for my particular rifle. I then loaded the Hammers to the first groove and put a medium crimp on them. I ended up with 0.025" jump rather randomly....but as been said previously, Hammers are very insensitive to the amount of jump.

1703254395557.png