Bullet Not Feeding Properly

geraldhawaii

I have just put together a 7 mm PRC build. Proof Reserach Barrel, Lone Peak Fuzion Ti action. Hawkins Hunter Bottome Metal, with the Long Action Magazine. Trigger Tech Trigger. Pure Precision Stock.

Problem: When there is only one bullet in the mag, it almost always jams with the bullet tip going downwards. If the mag has 3 bullets in it, the first 2 feed smoothly. There is a lot of play where the magazine can be jiggled quite a bit while it is in the bottom metal. If I hold the magazine up from the bottom, the single round will feed. Put washers between the bottom metal and stock, and it didn't make any difference. I have attached some photo's and video. I would welcome any suggestions.

Attachments

• 7 PRC. Bullet Jamming.zip
    13 MB · Views: 52
  • 7 PRC.Magazine Loose.zip
    16.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 7 PRC. MAG Loaded.jpg
    7 PRC. MAG Loaded.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 7 PRC. Bullet Jammed.jpg
    7 PRC. Bullet Jammed.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 51
Hard to say without the gun in hand but… If you look at the 2nd photo, you can see that the cartridge does not contact the feed lips evenly. It "noses down". Likely the reason why rounds 1&2 of 3 feed properly is that there is enough spring pressure with 2-3 rounds in the magazine to overcome the problem. You can correct this by bending the follower spring so that the case contacts the entire feed lip surface. A little bend goes a long way. I'd try that before messing with the distance between the bottom metal and the receiver.

Your pure precision stock …..what was the bottom inlet cut for? A lot of them are cut bdl. Did you order it to be a m5 cut? Also the pillars may not be the correct height which is what looks like is going in with the mag being loose.

Main thing I see other than the loose is you may have their LA standard or 284 mag. You need the magnum and even the NM version will work also. In a nut shell your cartridge is too wide for the mag.

Last edited:
bill123, I see what you are saying. Thank you. Longtine88, it is cut for the M5. I don't think it has anything to do with the pillars, as I've tried putting 1, 2, and 3 washers between the bottom metal and stock, and it doesn't make any difference. The mags are the LA Magnum Hunter mags from Hawkins. Thank you for the info.

bill123, I see what you are saying. Thank you. Longtine88, it is cut for the M5. I don't think it has anything to do with the pillars, as I've tried putting 1, 2, and 3 washers between the bottom metal and stock, and it doesn't make any difference. The mags are the LA Magnum Hunter mags from Hawkins. Thank you for the info.
If I understand where you are putting the washers, it's making things worse. If anything, I think you want to move the BM closer to the bottom of the action. Doing this, however may cause other problems if you don't solve the follower spring issue first. With a fully loaded magazine in place, push the bolt forward until it just touches the back of the top cartridge. How much vertical contact do you have? I like to have the bottom of the bolt touch just above the top edge of the primer. If it does, it's not a bedding issue.

I believe its something to do with the mag. Tiny Tim, yes I have another mag of the same brand and model. It does the same thing except it sometimes feeds the single bullet. But, it still rattles like the other mag.

If I understand where you are putting the washers, it's making things worse. If anything, I think you want to move the BM closer to the bottom of the action. Doing this, however may cause other problems if you don't solve the follower spring issue first. With a fully loaded magazine in place, push the bolt forward until it just touches the back of the top cartridge. How much vertical contact do you have? I like to have the bottom of the bolt touch just above the top edge of the primer. If it does, it's not a bedding issue.
Long shot, but could clean the follower with alcohol then use hot-glue gun to glue a small 'blob' on the right front of the follower. If tha works, even if not permeant, could show it is the follower.

So I have two of these mag and bottom metal set ups and occasionally have the same issue. The follower gets hung up a bit inside the mag on the last round. I took mine apart and put just a dab of greeze on the follower to allow it to slide in the mag better. Just a tiny bit though as you don't want that getting on your cartridge. BTW, I have the long action version too and have never had an issue with the LA version.

I agree with the spring tension that was mentioned, however, your first call should be to Hawkins and see what they tell you to try before you start tearing into it and causing another issue. I am sure they have seen this and can recommend what to do.

I had a similar problem with a Hawkins Hunter DBM in short mag. Upon inspection I found that the follower had a piece chipped off it so it wouldn't ride straight up on the last round. Contacted Hawkins and sent some pics. They were great to deal with sent me a new follower priority mail had it in like 3 days. No problems after that

I have just put together a 7 mm PRC build. Proof Reserach Barrel, Lone Peak Fuzion Ti action. Hawkins Hunter Bottome Metal, with the Long Action Magazine. Trigger Tech Trigger. Pure Precision Stock.

Problem: When there is only one bullet in the mag, it almost always jams with the bullet tip going downwards. If the mag has 3 bullets in it, the first 2 feed smoothly. There is a lot of play where the magazine can be jiggled quite a bit while it is in the bottom metal. If I hold the magazine up from the bottom, the single round will feed. Put washers between the bottom metal and stock, and it didn't make any difference. I have attached some photo's and video. I would welcome any suggestions.
I had the same feed problem with a Weatherby Mark V. Looking at pictures one, the case is centered in mag. Picture two with one shell the case is to the right. Called Weatherby and they sent a new follower that centered the last shell and solved problem. Not sure if this is your problem, but it is worth a look.