Bull Elk at 425 Yards with a 7mm-08

Very cool!
Shot placement is key, I left the 30cal/338 magnum bandwagon a few years ago.
My buddy dropped an elk last year at 400 yards with a 100 grain .243.
I've taken 3 bulls at medium to long range with my 6.5 saum.
I've seen the worst shots on big game made with magnums by shooters that didn't practice due to the recoil...

Very cool!
Shot placement is key, I left the 30cal/338 magnum bandwagon a few years ago.
My buddy dropped an elk last year at 400 yards with a 100 grain .243.
I've taken 3 bulls at medium to long range with my 6.5 saum.
I've seen the worst shots on big game made with magnums by shooters that didn't practice due to the recoil...

I agree. I think people get lazy with the big magnum calibers, thinking that a so so shot will because it is a big gun. The 6.5 SAUM is a great round the 6.5 bullets are like poison.

she is all smiles , congrats to both of you ! I'm a fan of the 7mm-08 , I feel they kill above their pay grade .
She is still smiles. We got her skull mount last week and hung it at the head of her bed. The 7mm-08 has impressed me so far. I was really impressed with its performance on this elk.

Congrats! I shot a bull at 400 yards this year using a Berger VLD 168 gr for the first time and was very impressed. I also hit it right behind the shoulder and wow did it make hamburger of the vitals with no exit wound. I have always used partitions. I would have like to see what it does when it hits bone.
Thank you everyone.

She hit a rib on this elk. It just busted the rib and went on in to boiler room. I would like to see what it would do if it hit the shoulder.

Thank you everyone.

She hit a rib on this elk. It just busted the rib and went on in to boiler room. I would like to see what it would do if it hit the shoulder.
I saw what happens a couple of weeks ago in Montana. My grandson was shooting a .300 WSM with 168 grain Bergers. When he shot at 320 yds, the bullet sounded like it hit a tree when it connected with the elk. It ran into some trees nearby,limping badly. We waited for a half hour and found the elk dead about 100 yds from where it was hit. The bullet hit an upper front leg bone and didn't penetrate the rib cage. There was a lot of blood on the ground, we figured the bullet exploded and severed an artery, causing it to bleed out. I prefer a bullet that will keep going after it hits a front leg bone and does some internal damage. We were lucky!

I saw what happens a couple of weeks ago in Montana. My grandson was shooting a .300 WSM with 168 grain Bergers. When he shot at 320 yds, the bullet sounded like it hit a tree when it connected with the elk. It ran into some trees nearby, limping badly. We waited for a half hour and found the elk dead about 100 yds from where it was hit. The bullet hit an upper front leg bone and didn't penetrate the rib cage. There was a lot of blood on the ground, we figured the bullet exploded and severed an artery, causing it to bleed out. I prefer a bullet that will keep going after it hits a front leg bone and does some internal damage. We were lucky!

Was he using one of the target bullets or one from the hunting line of bullets?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.