Building a rifle? Ask questions so you dont screw it up!

Straight Jacket Armory

LRH Sponsor
The questions we get on a daily basis are sometimes head scratchers. Someone online told them something and they took it as gospel, well not everyone is always right including us! If you have questions ask, we are happy to help even if its not us building the rifle! Of course we would love your business, but we understand there are tons of options out there.

Let us help save you time and headache so ask away and ill attempt to answer in a timely manner!

Attachments

• k3.jpg
    k3.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 58
Not a question but I had a 28 nosler barreled action built by you guys a few years ago that I'm finally getting around to some load development on. 180 hybrid and h1000 is looking promising! Origin action and bartlein barrel. Any questions and I'll be sure to reach out!

The questions we get on a daily basis are sometimes head scratchers. Someone online told them something and they took it as gospel, well not everyone is always right including us! If you have questions ask, we are happy to help even if its not us building the rifle! Of course we would love your business, but we understand there are tons of options out there.

Let us help save you time and headache so ask away and ill attempt to answer in a timely manner!
Agreed! I have worked closely with my go-to GS and have respected his input since 2003.

I think some of the most important questions have no "correct answer" and can only be answered by the customer. In no particular order:

1) Do I ever plan on selling this rifle? - If yes, you may want to make some of your choices based on "resale attractiveness"; i.e., have I created such a unique rifle the pool of potential customers is limited.

2) Cartridge selection - am I creating a rifle where ammunition and component availability is going to be a problem. Remember, cartridges are more alike than they are different within caliber selection. Brass is usually the big issue.

3) Am I selecting components or a gunsmith with long lead times? am I going to lose interest before the rifle is even delivered?

4) I am over "specing" my rifle. As FEENIX says, the nut behind the trigger is a big factor. Kinda like a double bogey golfer debating whether or not they should buy a 60 deg or 59 deg wedge.

5) How much do I care about the CDI factor as it can override all logical and technical decision making. For those of you that are uninformed, the CDI factor has led to many bad decision in many purchases decisions. CDI equals the all important "Chicks Dig it".

Last edited:

Recent Posts