Building a .260 Remi

kc

I have a new project, its a .260 on a Remi short action. I need to find the right barrel twist.
In shooting Times Long Range Rifles the auther Sheppard Kelly states SAAMI standardized the twist @1:9 but many match shooters suggested the faster 1:8 twist to ensure stablization for long heavy match bullets out to 1000 yards. Will I have a problem here? I will have my barrel @24 inches in length. I will be shooting deer well over 300yards along with some other critters. This rifle will be my own version of the M40A5.. But it will be chambered in a .260. I would like to know what you would recomend in barrel twist for this cailbre? and what bullet weight and design would you recomend..I shoot the A-MAX in my .223 and I was thinking of the SST boat tail for Deer in the .260 and the A or V-MAX for the critters.
thanks for all the input.

Get the 1-8 twist so you will have no trouble shooting the heavier long VLD bullets , have your chamber cut on the tight side of SAAMI spec. With the tighter chamber you can either use 308 Lapua brass and lightly turn the necks so you have the benifit of a tight neck gun or use 243 Lapua brass and just size it up and let it go , you will also be able to shoot factroy ammo if you ever need/want to.

The 140gr Berger seated over a decient load of VihtaVuori N-165 will easly get your velocity to 2800+fps and that makes for a respectible 1000yd deer gun.

(Time for the Shamless plug for myself)

if you look below in the classifide ads , I have a 260 for sale that is just about exactly what your looking for a very low price considering what it has in it.

Get the 1-8 twist so you will have no trouble shooting the heavier long VLD bullets , have your chamber cut on the tight side of SAAMI spec. With the tighter chamber you can either use 308 Lapua brass and lightly turn the necks so you have the benifit of a tight neck gun or use 243 Lapua brass and just size it up and let it go , you will also be able to shoot factroy ammo if you ever need/want to.

The 140gr Berger seated over a decient load of VihtaVuori N-165 will easly get your velocity to 2800+fps and that makes for a respectible 1000yd deer gun.

(Time for the Shamless plug for myself)

if you look below in the classifide ads , I have a 260 for sale that is just about exactly what your looking for a very low price considering what it has in it.

"Shameless is, as shameless does."

kc, James is right about the 1-8 twist works very well with 140gr bullets. I would not overlook the 140 a-max for deer, it does have a very high sectional density and penetrates well on deer sized critters. I have killed 10 deer and goats in the last 3 years using the 260AI with 140 a-maxes. I can only claim one bullet "failure" I shot a mule deer buck quartering to me at 300 yards and hit the knuckle on the lower end of the scapula. That bullet never entered the chest cavity but many dice sized bone frags sliced up the lungs, the deer ran about 30 yards. I use factory rem brass and have had no issues, just 1/2moa accuracy to 600 yards.
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts