Bubble level

This is the one I use when I have a 1913 rail. Eliminates the need to mount on the scope.

Attachments

• 1272C1B2-B128-4010-B116-D814DA08B4C3.jpeg
    1272C1B2-B128-4010-B116-D814DA08B4C3.jpeg
    20 KB · Views: 47
This is the one I use when I have a 1913 rail. Eliminates the need to mount on the scope.

By mounting the level left side, forward of the turrets, it's in my off eye line of sight with my right eye centered in the scope.

I'm right handed & strongly left eyed. My brother was left handed - and right eye dominant. Genetics. Anyhow, have always had to close my left eye when shooting rifles as that left eye image 'argued' with the scope image.

Since beginning to use bubble levels I find it more possible to keep both eyes open. My dominant left eye 'sees' the bubble instead of the distant target area & it's easier, at least for me, to concentrate on the scope image. It only takes a split second to shift awareness to the brightly back-lit bubble & center it. No disturbance of sight picture / POA (firearm is ALWAYS in shooting sticks, across backpack, etc for long range).

All this does not apply for most folks. It does for me - & when beginning to use levels I found that what 'felt' level was often at least a half bubble off. Tends to be less now as having the device has made me more aware of what 'level' feels like.

Even 20 yrs ago this tool wasn't broadly available. Along with far better optics & reticles at moderate cost, improved bullets, temp stable powders, stiffer & more ergonomic stocks & better barrels, more of us can practice & successfully connect with game animals at distances that weren't realistic decades ago.

I'm glad to have it all.

Do any of you use anti cant bubble levels on your hunting rigs? Debating if I want one or not. Rifle will be sighted in out to 750 yards
I have and do use typically available shooting bubble levels. Encourage everyone to use on every rifle you have. The affect of cant will have one chasing their misses like a man possessed. Least expensive accuracy tool you can invest it. One would be shocked at the visual illusions one buys into in the field....trees, phone poles, fence poles, buildings are not vertical in the precision shooting realm. However, that said, typical bubble levels are the hand grenades of cant precision, not the precision cant solution one assumes. Why do you think Starrett gets $100s for precision vial levels when one can buy a string line level for $0.99?? Same concept applies in cant shooting levels.......but, but, 12" Starretts are hard to mount on a rifle. For really ELR, I use nothing but the SendIt! electronic level from Long Range Arms from Idaho Falls, Idaho. Only have to discern the light color illumination (Blue left cant; red right cant; Green.....SendIT!) rather than having to line up the bubble with stadia lines....and maintain the alignment.....while doing the same with reticle on your target. Regardless of how great we think we are, humans are **** poor at multitasking!!!. Especially beneficial for anyone with close focus vision issues.....we old geezers....laugh, you'll get there...hopefully!! . User selects between 5 sensitivity settings...0.2 to 1.0 degrees. Typical bubble levels, as checked with very precision machinist levels, are often off up to 3.0 degrees through manufacturing inaccuracies and/or user reading error......a sure miss at range regardless how many $1000s or $10,000s you spent on your gun and glass. Also, bubble levels become unreliable shooting high angle.....above 15-20 degrees up or down. Unit easily moves between shooting platforms. A little expensive at $225 (for original model; lower priced options available), but not even a discernible rounding error of sales tax in what we spend on gear. Great investment to better ensure you get the performance downrange that you spend big dollars in chasing. Also, the colored LEDs start many interesting conversions, develop many new friends, at ranges. YMMV, but for my old geezer money I choose to "SpendIt to SendIt!!".....

See YouTube video "Long Range Arms "SendiT" Electronic Anti-Cant Level Product Review." for a demo of SendIt!, and demo of cant effect at range. Also, "User Zeroing the Long Range Arms SendiT! electronic level."

Last edited:
This has peaked my interest, but I’m a little conflicted on which level system to buy. Pro2A provided an option, but I’m hesitant to add more weight to a hunting rifle. I need to buy a couple of sets of new rings and have looked at Hawkins. I believe they use a lower grade of aluminum than some other manufacturers. Not really sure how much difference this will make. Nightforce has an add on option for a level, but not sure if the $$ is really worth it. Like everything else it seems, finding rings in stock from some of better manufacturers is tough right now.

I usually link to these two articles when this type of question gets asked , I didn't think of it until now . one is exactly about anti cant devices , the other one kind of goes hand in hand with this topic . hope this helps .

This has peaked my interest, but I’m a little conflicted on which level system to buy. Pro2A provided an option, but I’m hesitant to add more weight to a hunting rifle. I need to buy a couple of sets of new rings and have looked at Hawkins. I believe they use a lower grade of aluminum than some other manufacturers. Not really sure how much difference this will make. Nightforce has an add on option for a level, but not sure if the $$ is really worth it. Like everything else it seems, finding rings in stock from some of better manufacturers is tough right now.
You will be happy with the Hawkins! Great product and great people!