Breathing life into an oldie but goodie

Chadp82

my wife is going to finally give hunting a run! She may like it, may hate it, we will see.

I had an old 243, Winchester 670, I inherited. The stock was too long so I bought a Boyd’s at-1, and added a bushnell elite hunter scope that was laying around. This rifle always shot well, and was my first deer hunting rifle.

I just thought it was kind of cool to repurpose and oldie but goodie rifle for a new hunter. Eventually, maybe when my daughter is old enough she will give it a try. If my wife likes it, I will look at a new setup, but due to unsurity on whether or not she will like it, don’t want to go all in. This was my alternative to shortening the original stock.

I would have left it alone because it shoot great, but was a quick and fun project. Maybe not the appropriate section of the forum, but we can all appreciate bringing new family members into the great sport we all enjoy.

My photo didn’t attach to the original post…

Attachments

• IMG_0365.jpeg
    IMG_0365.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 76
That’s great. Hope your first hunt together is successful. Good luck!
We have cow elk tags, Colorado Ranching for Wildlife. We get to hunt a private ranch through the draw.

The success rate is pretty high. I will let her shoot first and be ready for a follow up if needed. 243 is okay for elk, but not the first choice. She was pretty good at shooting it before the shorter stock, so this will fit her better and be more comfortable.

I will be the backup with a 300wm. 😀

For a first hunt we should be fine. We will be hunting elk winter range so we should have shots on them grazing or in a fairly calm state if we do it right. We just need to look at under 200 yds which we should be able to do.

We will see come January! It will probably cold and snowy in northwest CO.

Don’t underestimate the .243 on elk, we have on hand a Remington model 7 youth that my son started on then passed to my daughter, both eventually moved on to bigger calibers but that .243 with a Sierra 85 grain hollow point helped keep the elk herds in units 10 and 11 for late season in check, good out to 300 yards. Best of luck to her and you, keep us up to date

Congratulations on a number of levels!

1) Bringing a potential new hunter into the fold!

2) Realizing that what fits us Neanderthal men (ugh, broomstick good) doesn't necessarily fit a woman.

I put a Boyds AT-One on a Mauser for my daughter's build.
Along with being purple (yup, special place in the afterlife for me putting a purple stock on a Mauser) we got some of the accessory items. Larger, more rounded forestock & grip pieces. And the fully adjustable butt stock.
My daughter is 6'3".
It's not the lightest rifle, but carries well.