Bought my first rifle today...on to the scope!

AK4900PA

I finally bought my first rifle today, a Savage 112 BVSS in .300 win mag. I've owned handguns before, but I went shooting with a coworker a while back and after spending a day pulling the trigger on his Savage heavy barrel .223 (shoots 1/4 MOA) I was sold.

As soon as I pick up the rifle I'm going to have a muzzle brake installed and then I need to find a scope for it. I'm completely at a loss at this point. I don't know if I should go with fixed or variable power, 10X, 16X, 20X, SFP, FFP, etc., etc....

I'd like to keep it under $600 if at all possible. I will be using the rifle primarily for long range target shooting, 300-600 yards, but would like to have the ability to go out to 1000 yards if I found a long enough range. I've never hunted before, but I'd really like to try so I could possibly be using it for medium to long range hunting purposes eventually also.

Any specific suggestions or even some direction at this point would be appreciated. There's just way to options out there to pick from.

Shooting just to 600 you are not going to need too much, especially if you have a good cheek weld. I would probably order a leupold from the custom shop. Maybe a 3.5x10x40 vx3 and have one of the short cdl turrets added to the elevation adjustment and a mil dot reticule if you like them. If you think you need more magnification there are other options.
I just ordered one fitted like that to try. I have no experience with it, but run a lot of good glass. I cannot see why this would not be a good platform on a limited budget.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.