Bottom Metal For Custom Rifle

Aloha All,

I have never owned a custom rifle in my life, and as I am getting older, decided to have one built on 7mm PRC. I have decided to have a Lone Peak Arms Fuzion Ti long action; 24 inch carbon Proof Research barrel (8 inch twist); Trigger Tech trigger. I am having a difficult time finding bottom metal for this set up. The only one that I could find was Hawkins with the Wyatt box. I have no problems with this hinge plate system, however I would prefer a Detachable Magazine. This is not a deal breaker for me, just a personal preference. Any suggestions on the bottom metal, or anything else would be greatly appreciated. Trying to keep the gun without optics to 7 lbs. or less. Will probably be shooting 175 grain bullets, and would wish the rifle to shoot to 800 yards.

As I mentioned earlier, this is my first build, so I am not very knowledgeable on building a custom rifle. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. You will not offend me.

Also, any stock recommendation would be greatly appreciated. So far, looking at Manners, Mcmillan, and Pure Precision.

Looking at American Precision Arms muzzle brakes also, but they are heavy.

Thank you all......
Aloha,
geraldhawaii

Since stock choices kind of determine bottom metal options I would say get a Manners with a mini chassis that is cut for an M5 pattern bottom metal. Their Pro Hunter and Long Range Hunter are both great stocks which tend to be readily available at distributors (Altus is a personal favorite) and on their direct website without having to wait months for them to be built.

For bottom metal, Hawkins has a bunch of great options including the hunter set up mentioned above or if you want to run an AICS pattern magazine. APA actually makes great bottom metals too if you want to run an AICS magazines that don't have a barricade stop and use a low profile release. Snowy Mountain Rifles also has some interesting convertible options that I don't have any personal experience with but am considering for the future.

For lightweight muzzle brakes I am also a big fan of Hawkins self timing tank brakes. They are just lightweight and easy to install/index and don't blast you too bad.

Snowy Mountain Rifles makes a convertible M5 kit that can be either floor plate or detachable box, it's called a "Flex". I read a review somewhere where someone was building a 7 PRC around their bottom metal and action, cannot find the thread now. I don't see it on their site, but may be worth a call.

"Using the same bottom metal body, you can change from BDL to Magazine-fed anytime in minutes. It is revolutionary and the first of its kind in many ways. It is The only all-aluminum ultra-lightweight magazine system that allows you to make your BDL rifle a magazine-fed rifle while only weighing 5.4 oz. The kit uses the same Bottom Metal body, a BDL configured body with proprietary cuts, and a tensioning system to allow the all-aluminum magazine to fit snugly or remove the magazine and tensioner and attach the lid, converting it back into a BDL."

I have their standard M5 DBM and it fits nicely in a M5 Hawkins inlet. It does hang down a little more than the Hawkins, maybe an 1/8" - 3/16". I have both the S/A & L/A Hawkins STD & MAG and the S/A Snowy Mountain STD and I would not hesitate to use either in the future.

May only pertain to the S/A versions, but both will accept AICS style traditional magazines, I have a flush Curtis magazine that sits perfectly flush, it's just a pain to remove since it doesn't want to drop out of either bottom metal. I have had 3rd, 5rd and 10rd mags in both bottom metals and they fed fine.

Since the action is cut for a Wyatt's Extended mag, I would go with that, Hawkins M5 BDL with the stock cut with that floor plate. You will have plenty of room to grow the 7 PRC with any bullet

Give Jordan a call at Redhawk Rifles. They've got a bunch of PP, Manners, and McMillan stock on blowout clearance now and will set you up with the right bottom metal also. They sell all the Hawkins, Wyatt's, and also other brands of bottom metals. They also will give you solid guidance!! I personally like a M5 type bottom metal. Good luck and you're well on your way to a solid build.

IMG_2681.png

Really wish to thank all of you for your opinions and suggestions. I learned a lot from this thread. Right now, Hawkins is in the lead, but will wait for my final decision when I receive answers to my questions from the different maufacturers.
Aloha to All & Take Care!!!