Big 7s vs Big 30s final decision

I put at least a couple thousand rounds down range at 1000yds a year. Pretty much shoot 1k every weekend. Have done so for about 15+ years. I wont shoot an animal at 1k because I have missed enough to know I cant do it 100% of the time, but if you are going to do that and your not going to practice Id recommend a 338 Lapua improved for the animals sake. They will center up better and the environmentals will simply effect them far less. Plus they stay in tune better. Much better.

Last edited:
Why would you want to push them that hard? At longer ranges, the 100 fps (or whatever) difference at the muzzle is insignificant.

I had a 28 Nosler. Moved to a 300 NMI. Both are fine cartridges. Like the 300 better simply due to using heavier bullets.

I used a 230 Berger this past year for elk. Running a touch under 3K. Thats where the rifle liked them. Last test was 3, 3 shot groups at 300 (dang that's a lot of 3's!). Average was .97. Well under minute of elk :)

Before you start thinking about shooting living animals at long(er) ranges, make the commitment to learn how and practice religiously. You owe it to the animal.

Guys curious why the 338 Lapua "should" be improved. Friend just got one, gonna do some loading for it so I'm in the process of getting educated on the caliber.
Shallow shoulder angle on the non improved case. Promotes case stretch which "can" cause case head separation.

The extra powder capacity is a benefit and there's varying thoughts on flame containment within the case longer to help preserve the throat.

The 338 Lapua parent case allows for a substantial gain in MV, when improved.

If you're gonna go with a Lapua sized bolt face, might as well get the full potential performance from that cartridge casing.

While the numbers you stated are obtainable, they are not always (seldom actually), where your rifle might run them best.
I have a lot of experience loading and shooting both the 28 Nosler and .300NMI. None with the other 7 and 30 you mentioned. Most 28 Noslers will push a 195 accurately between 3050 to 3090ish. Seems to be the sweet spot fpr a 26", unless you go to a 28" or 30" barrel and gain velocity in barrel length alone.

.300NMI pushing a 230 @ 3150 is possible. But again, I have found them to shoot best between 3050-3090. Might want to look at a 245 too. Pushing them at 3000+ would be wicked on game.

Hi all! Kinda of narrowed it down to 4 cartridges that are pretty similar but just looking for any experiences or reasons to go towards one over the others

The 4 I'm looking at are the 28 Nosler, 300 Norma Mag Improved, then the 7 and 30 RBH from RBros.

This is for a gun that would be a North American game rifle, built around 10 pounds when field ready. After it's broke in and I'm comfortable with the rifle it would be lucky to be shot more than 5 times in a year. Simply only used when I pull a tag out west(which is hardly an annual thing), and to make sure it's still shooting straight after the summer. So barrel life and case life is not really a factor to me, it will take enough time before I need one that a new barrel or a new set of brass would be fun to shop for at that point. The rifle would be a longer range(up to 1000 yards)hunting gun for elk and mule deer mainly.

I would be pushing all these rounds pretty hard: 28 Nos would be using the 195 and going about 3150, 7 RBH would use the 195 going 3200-3225, the 300 NMI would be using the 230 going 3100-3125, and finally the 30 RBH would use the 230 going 3150-3175

Again, any experience with any of these, advice with them, or reasons one may be a little more of a pain to deal with than the others is helpful
Nope. Im calling you out to hopefully save you slot of hassle. If your only gunna shooting a 5 times a year you have no business trying to hit take game tst those distances.

Nothing wrong with any of the cartridges. Just pick one. Also nothing wrong with only shooting a few times a year but keep ranges within reason please!

While the numbers you stated are obtainable, they are not always (seldom actually), where your rifle might run them best.
I have a lot of experience loading and shooting both the 28 Nosler and .300NMI. None with the other 7 and 30 you mentioned. Most 28 Noslers will push a 195 accurately between 3050 to 3090ish. Seems to be the sweet spot fpr a 26", unless you go to a 28" or 30" barrel and gain velocity in barrel length alone.

.300NMI pushing a 230 @ 3150 is possible. But again, I have found them to shoot best between 3050-3090. Might want to look at a 245 too. Pushing them at 3000+ would be wicked on game.
No Sherman Suggestion(s)? 😉 I had to Bite my Tongue 😁