Big 7s vs Big 30s final decision

BVold

Hi all! Kinda of narrowed it down to 4 cartridges that are pretty similar but just looking for any experiences or reasons to go towards one over the others

The 4 I'm looking at are the 28 Nosler, 300 Norma Mag Improved, then the 7 and 30 RBH from RBros.

This is for a gun that would be a North American game rifle, built around 10 pounds when field ready. After it's broke in and I'm comfortable with the rifle it would be lucky to be shot more than 5 times in a year. Simply only used when I pull a tag out west(which is hardly an annual thing), and to make sure it's still shooting straight after the summer. So barrel life and case life is not really a factor to me, it will take enough time before I need one that a new barrel or a new set of brass would be fun to shop for at that point. The rifle would be a longer range(up to 1000 yards)hunting gun for elk and mule deer mainly.

I would be pushing all these rounds pretty hard: 28 Nos would be using the 195 and going about 3150, 7 RBH would use the 195 going 3200-3225, the 300 NMI would be using the 230 going 3100-3125, and finally the 30 RBH would use the 230 going 3150-3175

Again, any experience with any of these, advice with them, or reasons one may be a little more of a pain to deal with than the others is helpful

So shot less than 5 times a year, but will be shooting out to 1000 yards on game?

How do you know within 25 fps what the velocity node will be if the rifle isn't even built yet?

I would collect components for whichever one you decide before building any of them.

Good luck
Steve

I agree with boomflops question. Even if i shot other rifles for practice I'd want more than a few rounds behind the trigger of the gun I'm using to send lead to 1k.

Assuming you're competent at that range and are an experienced hand loader they'll all work.

I'm running 230s at 2985 from a 30 nosler and feel the numbers at altitude are good to 1k. I'm limited to 800 yards at my range so that's been my perfect world limit.

I like the NM Imp and think if I went to that level of horse power I'd step to a 338. That 300 berger would be deadly medicine.

Hi all! Kinda of narrowed it down to 4 cartridges that are pretty similar but just looking for any experiences or reasons to go towards one over the others

The 4 I'm looking at are the 28 Nosler, 300 Norma Mag Improved, then the 7 and 30 RBH from RBros.

This is for a gun that would be a North American game rifle, built around 10 pounds when field ready. After it's broke in and I'm comfortable with the rifle it would be lucky to be shot more than 5 times in a year. Simply only used when I pull a tag out west(which is hardly an annual thing), and to make sure it's still shooting straight after the summer. So barrel life and case life is not really a factor to me, it will take enough time before I need one that a new barrel or a new set of brass would be fun to shop for at that point. The rifle would be a longer range(up to 1000 yards)hunting gun for elk and mule deer mainly.

I would be pushing all these rounds pretty hard: 28 Nos would be using the 195 and going about 3150, 7 RBH would use the 195 going 3200-3225, the 300 NMI would be using the 230 going 3100-3125, and finally the 30 RBH would use the 230 going 3150-3175

Again, any experience with any of these, advice with them, or reasons one may be a little more of a pain to deal with than the others is helpful
Don't complicate it unnecessarily; pick one and go for it. And do NOT let anybody, including myself, talk to you out of your want/need.

Last edited:

Going with the 300PRC or 300Rum would greatly simplify your life.

If you're dying for a big 7mm then build a 7mm-300PRC or just come over to the darkside and join the 7mmSTW club. :D

Long range hunting doesn't jive well with "5 shots a year to make sure it's still shooting good after summer".
Take a step back and think about the skills you need to hone before taking 1000 yard shots at our Western game.

A heavy for caliber bullet like the 195 or 230 bergers need at least 1800 fps for reliable expansion to put anything in North America on the ground.
You'd be better off focusing on a cartridge that will propel those bullets to said expansion velocity at 1k, and spending more time behind the trigger.
A 28 or 30 Nosler would be fantastic choices, don't worry about barrel life with either that's the cheap part