Best Value Long Range Hunting Rifle up to $5k

note: both of my custom rifles have HS stocks. Considering restocking the 338 in a KRG whiskey 3. The picture above is of our current prs and long range guns. Tikka TSR 1 308, Custom 6.5 cr, Sako A7 range with Atlas works metal 300WM and Custom 338 RUM. The tikka and sako have sako triggers in them. The customs both have timmneys. Barrels are bartlein and sako.

You lived here, but are you still in AZ? There are some awesome gunsmiths in the Phoenix area.
I would look at R-Brothers, or Quarter Minute Magnums out of ID. For a custom. Or look at the Seekins Havak PH2 great rifles and you could be into your rifle and a tier 1 scope for about the 5k mark. This is with factor 6.5 prc ammo at 100 yds. The calipers are calibrated for a center to center measurement already. This was the standard Hornady ammo.
128A1136-F0E5-4020-92D4-1D811DB69EB6.jpeg

I consider having Alex Wheeler build my LRH rifle one of the best decision I’ve made in firearms acquisitions. Do it all over again and I don’t think I would change a thing, if I did it would only be to spend even more on my action.

Find someone who specializes in the firearms niche you want to fill and then let them help you, instead of taking opinions from people who have only experienced 1-4 rifles these guys have seen,held, shot, used, and have customers reporting back on thousands of items. Listening to the master smiths will save you money in the end.

Lots of good advice and options offered up on this post, hopefully you can decipher all of it and make a decision based on what you are expecting from a rifle. I personally don’t have anything to add, I think most all of the bases were covered here. Good luck 🍀. My only custom shoots less than a 1/2” MOA and does what I need it to do.

Dan,
If you are looking for a manufactured rifle in your price range you can not go wrong with a Sako 85 or TRG. I own a couple Sakos in 300WM and 375H&H and both shoot 1/2 moa. The 375 is my Alaska and Africa gun. The 300 we shoot long range with on a regular bases, out passed 1000 yards. Running 215/220 bergers in the 2800fps range it rarely misses and is supersonic and stable enough to shoot a mile. Other than a Sako if I were going to spend upwards of 5000 I agree with others build a custom rifle. For probably closer to 4000 you could build a custom rifle on a defiance or surgeon action with a bartlein or kreiger barrel in a manners or McMillian stock or even a krg chassis with a timmney Calvin Elite trigger and shoot better than most of us could think possible. I have a few customs in 6.5 and 338. Look up Meredith rifles in Athens, Alabama. Tooder Meredith builds some of the best rifles around. If nothing else he would be worth a conversation.
I have a sako 85 in 30-06, and a cz550 in 375 H&H
Both accurate out the box
Good luck

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase the best rifle possible up to $5k (I could go higher if it met my goal explained below or half that amount in a very comparable rifle). I figure if I am going to mostly be using 1 main gun for a very long time then spend the money now and get the best. But with spending a lot of money I'm looking for the absolute best value in that price range. I'm also open to non traditional hunting rifles like reasonably weighted ELR or MPR if need be with my goals in mind. I believe these are considered more accurate typically?

Like I also stated I'm open to paying around $2500 on a factory rifle if that rifle was incredible value and very, very comparable to a much higher priced rifle. I'll give you an example with Christensen Arms brand. I know the Ridgeline or Traverse are excellent factory rifles at around $2300 and they also offer the MPR for $2400 which might be more accurate and I've read that rifle could cost double that amount for what you get. I've seen Proof Research custom rifles that range from $4k to $7k range. This again is an example of what I'm processing with any brand and trying to make the best decision on (is that extra money worth it and which brands and guns people recommend for both price ranges).

I'm set on the .300 Win Mag for my hunting needs and for that distance range so not looking for any other caliber advice. Id like to have a 26 or 27" barrel. I'm looking for the best of the best in accuracy as my main goal. I don't mind a slightly heavier gun with an ELR or MPR.

Thanks in advance as I greatly appreciate everyone's experience and taking time to respond!

Dan
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase the best rifle possible up to $5k (I could go higher if it met my goal explained below or half that amount in a very comparable rifle). I figure if I am going to mostly be using 1 main gun for a very long time then spend the money now and get the best. But with spending a lot of money I'm looking for the absolute best value in that price range. I'm also open to non traditional hunting rifles like reasonably weighted ELR or MPR if need be with my goals in mind. I believe these are considered more accurate typically?

Like I also stated I'm open to paying around $2500 on a factory rifle if that rifle was incredible value and very, very comparable to a much higher priced rifle. I'll give you an example with Christensen Arms brand. I know the Ridgeline or Traverse are excellent factory rifles at around $2300 and they also offer the MPR for $2400 which might be more accurate and I've read that rifle could cost double that amount for what you get. I've seen Proof Research custom rifles that range from $4k to $7k range. This again is an example of what I'm processing with any brand and trying to make the best decision on (is that extra money worth it and which brands and guns people recommend for both price ranges).

I'm set on the .300 Win Mag for my hunting needs and for that distance range so not looking for any other caliber advice. Id like to have a 26 or 27" barrel. I'm looking for the best of the best in accuracy as my main goal. I don't mind a slightly heavier gun with an ELR or MPR.

Thanks in advance as I greatly appreciate everyone's experience and taking time to respond!

Dan

SAKO, SAKO, SAKO

I have a sako 85 in 30-06, and a cz550 in 375 H&H
Both accurate out the box
Good luck
I love the Sako 85. Here is my 375 H&H. I have owned several including two customs. This gun is not only accurate but the way Sako builds their stocks reduces felt recoil. This is one of the lightest recoiling 375's I have ever shot. There is no need for a brake as the rifle recoils straight back into the shoulder. I have actually shot this gun when I was sightng it in off the bench in the same manner we shoot our long range guns. The 300WM vision comes with a set trigger. This is a Sako 85 Custom with a Leupold VX 3 with a german 1 reticle. One of my favorites.

Attachments

• 20200901_124617.jpg
    20200901_124617.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 109
Much appreciated. Their website is impressive. Have you had that personal experience from them or someone you know? As far as quality and accuracy, how would you rate them compared to piecing it together like it has been suggested? With their pricing I feel that I would be spending more than piecing it together. Although I could spend more than $5k I definitely would prefer not to.

Is there a dream scope/tube diameter or one that you would highly recommend for a custom rifle like this?
Scope: Leupold Mark 5

Sounds like you are getting a lot of options. I will through in another one. Integrated Arms and Ammunition. www.integratedarmsandammunition.com. Heath is meticulous and will help you design your perfect rifle. Extreme quality with a personal touch. Here is a 6.5x284 target from a recent build.

His tag line sums it up nicely, Precision Built, Deadly Results.

Attachments

• 6.5-284 target.jpg
    6.5-284 target.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 95
Much appreciated and sounds like a beauty. Any particular reason you went with the Brux #3? I saw they offer quite a selection. Who do you recommend contacting to order and put a custom rifle like this together for me? Not sure if a local gun store will do or is it better to find an experienced person on a forum like this that would provide a service for me for possibly less than a store?

Do you feel that piecing this together is better than a ready to shoot system like Gunwerks as ShtrRdy suggested? They are custom and I guess it would just depend if they offer what you are all suggesting, which I would need to research.

I looked up the NF SHV, how do you like the scope and is there one you feel is better than that from NF?
I own most all the Nightforce offerings , my absolute favorite is the ATACR . I have the SHV on a tack driving HOWA bolt 223 5-20 x 56mm ill. and it has also served me well on other rifles . The triggers offered above might be fine but I also prefer the Arnold Jewell Trigger over any other . 5-512 are my barrel contours in #5 Mcmillan stocks, pillar and glass bedded . Just my personal choices , do the build if you can.

I own most all the Nightforce offerings , my absolute favorite is the ATACR . I have the SHV on a tack driving HOWA bolt 223 5-20 x 56mm ill. and it has also served me well on other rifles . The triggers offered above might be fine but I also prefer the Arnold Jewell Trigger over any other . 5-512 are my barrel contours in #5 Mcmillan stocks, pillar and glass bedded . Just my personal choices , do the build if you can.
5-5 1/2 Barrel contours

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.