Best shooting rest?

CPerkins

I am looking to get a new rest and would like some suggestions . I like the Caldwell Rock BR so if anyone has one let me know what you think. I definitly want a two piece set up but if you know of another one let me know.

here is the new rest approved for the UK military...

I don't quite know the weight or cost and I would worry about the stability under baked bean conditions or after Taco Tuesday....

479197.jpg
[/url]

LOL.... just had to throw that on in for a laugh or two....WHOLE NEW MEANING TO THE TERM "SHOOTING BUDDY"

I think a two piece is the way to go too. I don't like the lead sled type of rests. I always try to shoot as close as I can to what the conditions will be in the field. I personally like my harris bipod in front and a good rear bag. I find that way, I have the same results in the field as at the range... just my .02

CAN'T GET PICS TO POST TOday

HAHA !!! GOT IT TO GO !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Joe Cowan makes a nice solid rest (well,actually his students in his machine class makes them) and is hard to beat price wise.Last I knew (last fall anyway) the price was $210 and included shipping,but that may have gone up some since then.
MVC-012S.JPG

MVC-013S.JPG

Joe can be reached at [email protected]

SM,
I would call it the "Hugel Butt Pod." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
A number of years ago Steve and I helped a newbie antelope hunter in Eastern Colorado get a doe. We met him earlier in the day and his daughter and mine were about the same age. We helped him make a stalk but he had nothing for a field rest. I kept talking to him to keep him calm and Steve assumed the position (not as intimate as the one pictured though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) and the man was able to down his doe with the first shot.

Three letters: S E B! Best dang thing I ever bought to improve bench techniques. Lightnig fast, zero backlash, rock solid, fully functional.

Non-coaxial: Sinclair's rest with windage top makes a good buy but Hart's might be better.

Dang GG,Seb must have got that to you pretty fast! Out of curiousity how much adjustment does the coax handle give you up and down? Ive never handled a coaxial before,and dont know how they're made inside,what exactly keeps the weight of the gun from making the rest creep down? Is there a friction adjustment on it or something?

Well, once it was shipped, it got here from Indonesia in 3 days but it took awhile to get it ordered because of wierd email glitches and bad communications. All in all, it was about a 3 month wait.

The coaxial part of the rest will adjust about 6" above an official 100 yard br target box and go down below the sighter box about 5". Then there is the regular coarse adjustment under the coaxial unit that goes a long way. Just how far I haven't taken a real measurement but I was using it for 1000 yard testing the other day and it was set up for another gun and when I plopped down a different gun it was pointing way up in the sky over the target. Plus you have a little up/down movement on where you have the rear bag positioned.

The coaxil unit itself is sealed inside the main post and is not accessible but it does have four adjustment screws for friction. Last week, Uncle b shot off it with his 20+ pound 6br improved and it did need a little more friction than my 10.5 lb 6ppc but after I tweaked the two upper screws, it worked like a dream for him. I think he liked it by the grin on his face!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.