Best Rifle Out Of The Box Part two

Not a Mark V, but it's a 300 Weatherby mag Vanguard I put together, in a Boyds ProVarmint stock reworked the trigger down to 2.5# and added a Witt machine brake. It was shooting 4 MOA at 100 in a factory configuration. The steel plate is my 800 yard plate. (It's 8" or a 1 MOA plate)... The four big splashes is the Weatherby, the little splashes is my 6.5 Creedmoor...

For some reason both photos didn't load..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 57
Not a Mark V, but it's a 300 Weatherby mag Vanguard I put together, in a Boyds ProVarmint stock reworked the trigger down to 2.5# and added a Witt machine brake. It was shooting 4 MOA at 100 in a factory configuration. The steel plate is my 800 yard plate. (It's 8" or a 1 MOA plate)... The four big splashes is the Weatherby, the little splashes is my 6.5 Creedmoor...

For some reason both photos didn't load..

Nice gohring3006! If I may ask, how much did it cost you to put that one together and how much does it weigh? Are you using factory cartridges or do you load your own?

These are rough estimates....
$600.00 for the rifle
$100.00 for the Brake
$129.00 for the Boyds. (more like $160.00 counting the pillar bedding kit.)
$50.00 for the 20 MOA mount
And got the scope on sale for $250.00 on Midway.. gun)
$1160.00 as it sits.... It's a lot of fun, but drinks the powder..:D
I can load two 6.5 Creedmoor cases for one of the 300 Weatherbys, but the ballistics are hard to ignore....

These are rough estimates....
$600.00 for the rifle
$100.00 for the Brake
$129.00 for the Boyds. (more like $160.00 counting the pillar bedding kit.)
$50.00 for the 20 MOA mount
And got the scope on sale for $250.00 on Midway.. gun)
$1160.00 as it sits.... It's a lot of fun, but drinks the powder..:D
I can load two 6.5 Creedmoor cases for one of the 300 Weatherbys, but the ballistics are hard to ignore....

How much does it weigh and did you buy the Weatherby action?

Here are a couple of better pictures of Suzie Q lol, Total weight with Huskemaw 9 lbs.

aU9lLRWl.jpg

0JyLXeol.jpg

I'll weigh it and get back with ya.... The Weatherby Vanguard was, and still is a factory barreled action... I believe my whole problem with it shooting bad, was harmonics.
After freefloating and adding the brake, the harmonics tamed down and it became quite the shooter... The extra weight on the end of the barrel made all the difference...

When we glass bedded and free floated mine it was shooting 7"groups @ 200 yards, after replacing the Weatherby/factory 2 contour barrel with the Wilson Match Grade 3 contour barrel I am now getting 5" groups at 800 yards. :)

Thinking of changing the trigger next!

Thinking of changing the trigger next!

my mark-v 300wby came with a creeper or a trigger. i got most of it out by polishing but i never like taking much off, so i stopped short of creating a hazard. it's really not that bad now but every time i shoot that gun after shooting one of my tikkas, i get a bit sad.

my mark-v 300wby came with a creeper or a trigger. i got most of it out by polishing but i never like taking much off, so i stopped short of creating a hazard. it's really not that bad now but every time i shoot that gun after shooting one of my tikkas, i get a bit sad.

I hear you! I much preferred the trigger on my Browning Mountain Ti 300 WSM.

Who is your gunsmith. I have a Weatherby Mark V about 20 years old, 300 WBY Mag. I thought it was accurate, until I put it on paper at 300 YDS. With a 3 shot group it was about 5". That's after putting a Bell and Carson stock on it. If you let it cool between shots at 100 yds bullets touch. The barrel is too thin. I would be interested in talking to someone about a different barrel?

Who is your gunsmith. I have a Weatherby Mark V about 20 years old, 300 WBY Mag. I thought it was accurate, until I put it on paper at 300 YDS. With a 3 shot group it was about 5". That's after putting a Bell and Carson stock on it. If you let it cool between shots at 100 yds bullets touch. The barrel is too thin. I would be interested in talking to someone about a different barrel?

JQH, I am from Canada. you would have an impossible time getting your gun into Canada. After what I went through, I would recommend doing what I did. I replaced their barrel with a Wilson Match Grade 3 Contour barrel glass bedded and now free floating.

If you call Wilson, I am sure they would be happy to give you the name that works with their barrels in your state. Good Luck!

Man.... it was tough reading this post. When you spend good money... you hope for something that performs and typically... with increased cost... you hope for increased performance, not the other way around.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. I have been really lucky except with one Savage Hog Hunter.... just couldn't shoot anything under 1.9moa, which is crazy because I bought it due to the fact that the other Hog Hunter we bought shot .3x all day long.

It definitely happens sometimes. My son and I traded a Glock for a Ruger American Predator 6.5cm and it shoots lights out. 3.4" groups at 500 is respectable for a gun as inexpensive as the RA. We all really like it when it happens the other way around.... spend a little and get a lot.

Hope others don't get bitten...

Man.... it was tough reading this post. When you spend good money... you hope for something that performs and typically... with increased cost... you hope for increased performance, not the other way around.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. I have been really lucky except with one Savage Hog Hunter.... just couldn't shoot anything under 1.9moa, which is crazy because I bought it due to the fact that the other Hog Hunter we bought shot .3x all day long.

It definitely happens sometimes. My son and I traded a Glock for a Ruger American Predator 6.5cm and it shoots lights out. 3.4" groups at 500 is respectable for a gun as inexpensive as the RA. We all really like it when it happens the other way around.... spend a little and get a lot.

Hope others don't get bitten...

Thank you for your sympathies Unofficial Gun Addict. You would think that when purchasing a famous brand name like Weatherby, you would be getting an excellent shooting rifle "Out Of The Box", and not a mediocre shooting one that certainly would never cut it as a long range rifle. Unfortunately not the case though. I have decided to swap out the trigger as well, because the Weatherby trigger sucks the big one too! I am pleased with the Weather action and stock though, so it was not a total loss!

Bet you $1,000.00 than even though Weatherby bullets are double the price than most, they suck as well!

Lesson learned! :) gun)

Last edited:
After reading all these responses I've concluded that anyone who buys any off the shelf rifle is nuts..and the more you spend the crazier you are !! If you have a 700 action your far far better off to rebarrel, retrigger, restock it than spending $1000's for an off the shelf anything...as far as off the shelfers dollar for dollar for hunting big game, cheaper is better in the long run.. A $300.00 bolt in .300 win mag will kill just as good as a $1500.00 any big game..even if it shoots two inch groups at 100 yards your better off and keep you money.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts