Best long range rangefinder for the common man

Another happy customer with the Sig 2000, Looking to get the 2400 for long range with ballistic capability.
Had a Leupold RX1000. It is and always has been pretty much junk. I was warned about it before I bought it and didn't listen.
I really need a rangefinder with a green display. I am really color blind, Sometimes I have to range something then point the range finder at the sky to read the display.

Those with the sig kilo 2000 or 2200, have you used them in cold snowy conditions?

I had a 2000 and now a 2200 and both work great during the summer but are terrible in cold snowy conditions. Last winter I could not get any range past 600 yards in very cold conditions.

Elk hunting this year my buddies Vortex 1800 consistently ranged further then the sig 2200. Plus it has a cross hair so you know what your ranging. the Sig has a giant circle, so your not sure if your hitting the elk or the giant tree 50 yards behind it....

If i was to get a new one for hunting I'd try the Nikon stabilized 3000. Looks like a promising unit. Or the vortex 1800 i thought was very impressive and you can't beat their warranty!

So ATH, what has been the problem with the Bushnell rangefinders?
I have Bushnell 10 x 42 1 Mile rangefinders that work very well and have decent glass.

Eric B.

P.S. My Bushnell ARC 1 Mile 10 x 42 binocular LRF ranges to 1.200 yards max but for normal hunting distances it is a very accurate LRF.
Great "Brush Mode", BTW.

Last edited:
Those with the sig kilo 2000 or 2200, have you used them in cold snowy conditions?

I had a 2000 and now a 2200 and both work great during the summer but are terrible in cold snowy conditions. Last winter I could not get any range past 600 yards in very cold conditions.

Elk hunting this year my buddies Vortex 1800 consistently ranged further then the sig 2200. Plus it has a cross hair so you know what your ranging. the Sig has a giant circle, so your not sure if your hitting the elk or the giant tree 50 yards behind it....

If i was to get a new one for hunting I'd try the Nikon stabilized 3000. Looks like a promising unit. Or the vortex 1800 i thought was very impressive and you can't beat their warranty!
The 3 we have in our family have been used a fair amount in both cold and snowy weather. So far they have all worked just fine. Don't remember ever having a problem with any of them ranging out to 1500 plus yards. Will admit that mine will consistently range trees, larger rocks out to over 2000 yards and one of my brothers will not range quite as far. Its limit seems to be in the 1800 to 1900 yards. He got a better buy on his and I tell him that's what he gets for being cheap.

I have two LRF.

Leica 1600-B & G7 BR2. I find myself grabbing the Leica most often for mainly size/weight & accuracy. The G7 BR2 is just as accurate, but the 1600B fits in a tiny pouch and is easy to manipulate. I do not use the Ballistic portion of it as others have stated. The BR2 is new to me, and I have yet to input my rifles/ballistics into it to use.

I currently have a Vortex 1500 that hasn't been working out well. I would really like to put the reticle on an object, hit the button, and receive a range.

What's everybody using?

Thanks.
Just got the Nikon 4kblack today holy crap
2118 yards on rocks in the rain and light overcast. Amazing Better than my sig 2000 and leica 2200 geovids
Havnt tried it in full sun yet. On sale at sportsman's wherehouse now for 339

I have a sig 2000 and a Leia 2000 from Europtic the Leica ranges farther and faster when trying them side by side over the last month out hunting

I have both the Leica 2700b and the Sig 2400 BDX. I put up a review on the 2700 on another board, but suffice it to say, it ranges very well and has outstanding glass, definitely best glass in it's class if that matters to you.

The 2400 BDX, which I am currently reviewing, also ranges very well, though on non-reflective targets, in my experience, the 2700 reaches just a bit further, but for both, we are talking over a mile on trees here. Likewise on glass, the 2700 is better.

However, when it comes to ballistic solutions, the 2400 offers the capability of connecting to a Kestrel with AB. Whereas the Leica (and all BDX RF's) are limited to 800 to 1k yards (depending on configuration) for their ballistic solution when used stand alone, when you pair the 2400 BDX to the Kestrel, you get a solution for as far as you can range. Of course, you can use the Leica manually with the Kestrel once you get past it's 1k solution limit, but the connection to a Kestrel is much faster and surer.

The BDX connection is, thus far, stable and excellent, and the RF itself is very fast.

When using them stand alone, both will allow you to load a custom curve (unlike pre 2700 Leicas), which really comes into it's own as the distances stretch. If you are looking for a top shelf solution for under 1k, you might have a look at these two.

However, if you are not interested in having a ballistic solution in your RF, then the Sig Kilos and the Leica 2400 would save you some coin, though I think the 2200 BDX is probably in that same price class, which would give you the ballistic option, though not the Kestrel connection.

HTH!

I also run a Sig 2000. Last week I was using it out to 1500 metres with no issues.
I once ranged a building out to 4000 metres. This rangefinder has become the goto for then guys I hunt with.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.