Best Camo Pattern

Ever hunt in a burn? Even an old burn you can't hardly find a bear! I have heard that about blue and the ultra violet reflection off of man made materials, but if the elk see it move they will be alerted and most likely gone!
Bow hunting is way different then rifle hunting. I think camo is important while bow hunting so I wear Carhartt pants then.

The only burn I hunted was 20+ years old when I went through it, so all of the black was mostly gone. You got me - that's the one black that you may see, but not all that common and I'd suspect you can tell a burned tree from a hunter wearing a black jacket. :D

Im a camo nut,where it almost everyday,it helps.But im also stealthy hunter and called bulls in under 20 yrd with friend wearing red flannel.I have shot alot of bulls archery, T-shirt and nothing on face because I get to hot dogging them.

Attachments

• SP 320 A.jpg
    SP 320 A.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 100
I wear camo when I hunt too, but more for the hunting specific performance than the colors. I do think it can help when you're still and the elk are close. But a plaid flannel shirt is probably going to break up your pattern pretty good too.

I was set up on a good vantage point this past rifle season, the hot weather caught me off guard and my lightest shirt was a solid black base layer. Yes, I had an orange vest on (colorado law during rifle season), but my arms really stood out being all black. I think a camo pattern would have helped had an elk been looking my direction while I was moving... reaching for gear, taking a drink, etc. movement from far off with a camo pattern would be very tough to see, while a solid color would not. And just think how awkward it would have been if somebody had taken my picture :D But seriously, although I agree with everybody else that being still is king, I think camo can really help in certain situations.

The only burn I hunted was 20+ years old when I went through it, so all of the black was mostly gone. You got me - that's the one black that you may see, but not all that common and I'd suspect you can tell a burned tree from a hunter wearing a black jacket. :D

An area that i primarily hunt is a burn from 2001, it is amazing how a person wearing orange can blend in to that **** burn! Until they move! I am sure elk and deer eyes are different. I have thought on more then one occasion that I was going crazy trying to see someone that I know is right there! The black and gray lines of the burn are verticle which matches human out lines so well. In a burn bow hunting tan predator camo is top notch in my opinion.
I also like the light green Predator camo in the fir trees during early fall.
Elk to me stick out like a sore thumb in a burn, no matter how far away, but typically the only way I see mule deer is when my horse sees them, the gray buggers!
I also see people hunting in camo in light brown fall grass area or in snow that wear camo that is too dark and stand out like a sore thumb. In my area most people wear way too dark of camo.
I swear by my elk colored Carhartt coat or snow camo for rifle elk hunting.
Wolf hunting this time of year if you are not blending in wearing white or very light natural colors you might as well go home.

Anything earth tone. I used to think I needed camo clothing, I shoot most animals so far away it usually doesn't matter, lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts