Best Camo Pattern

skinnyjk

Planning my first hunting trip and am wondering what the best choice for camo pattern would be. Will be hunting unit 28 west of Salmon, ID. Late in rifle season. Will i need snow patterns? How cold would it typically be the last wk of Oct and first wk of Nov. Thanks!

I like and use ASAT. Works very well.

I used to hunt elk horseback in unit 27 a lot. Have seen foot and a half of snow in late Sept and somewhere between 0 and 20 in mid Nov. That late expect snow and cold but this year was very mild. You can always take it off if it's warm.

Doesn't matter. Elk see movement and use their noses. Camo is a fashion statement only.

Doesn't matter. Elk see movement and use their noses. Camo is a fashion statement only.

KYHILLJACK is right on almost. Camo only works when you are still. everyone who spends time in the mountains knows this. Movement is the biggest give away no matter what you are wearing to both animals and other hunters. Your scent is second as you can control where it goes with the line you hike (kinda). So good camo is a little more than a fashion statement.

Well if it's rifle season you should be wearing a blaze orange vest at minimum and usually a full blaze orange coat. So The only camo would be your pants with a blaze orange coat. And probably a blaze orange hat is required. Before all these camo patterns came out I did just fine in blue jeans or brown duck coveralls , plaid shirts, brown gloves, tick mittens and brown leather boots. I've always found that silhouetting and movement gives you away. Hey, don't get me wrong, I wear camo every day to work and outdoors no matter what I'm doing. I just don't spend any extra money on anything that's suppose to be the 'new thing'. Think Cabela's after season bargain basement.

Hard to beat an ol Carhartt coat and wool pants! Maybe a set of chinks on a cold or wet day!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 110
Well if it's rifle season you should be wearing a blaze orange vest at minimum and usually a full blaze orange coat. So The only camo would be your pants with a blaze orange coat. And probably a blaze orange hat is required. Before all these camo patterns came out I did just fine in blue jeans or brown duck coveralls , plaid shirts, brown gloves, tick mittens and brown leather boots. I've always found that silhouetting and movement gives you away. Hey, don't get me wrong, I wear camo every day to work and outdoors no matter what I'm doing. I just don't spend any extra money on anything that's suppose to be the 'new thing'. Think Cabela's after season bargain basement.

The state of Idaho does not require any kind of blaze orange apparel or hats during any of the big game seasons unless it is a new rule for the coming 2015 season and the OP was asking about unit 28 in Idaho. I have over my life time taken more deer wearing Levis and a shirt. Of course in those days the opportunities were better and I covered a lot more ground. Can't say the same for elk though with the cow lookout. Have learned over the years a good camo helps when hunting elk and deer and have personally concluded the ASAT pattern and color works the best in the terrain that I hunt here in Idaho.

Yep. Camo is for people to spend money on. Do I do it? Yep. I have shot more vid and had more close encounters with Elk standing in the burn areas with no mask then you would believe. Also, I shot a wolf this year with my bow with no mask and I was in the open, as well.

I like camo clothing because it tends to be built with hunter comfort in mind and helps you blend into the environment. However, even the best camo in the world, including ghillie suits, which I have, will not work if you move at the wrong time.

Several studies, including one released this past summer, suggest that deer (and likely therefore elk) see blue:

Video: New Study Sheds Light on What Deer See | Outdoor Life

Because of this I have not worn blue when big game hunting in many years. Yes, I know that plenty here will say that they've gotten game when wearing jeans but I don't take a chance.

Also, note that black is generally not a natural color. I'm talking about the same black that we wear on large items such as hats, jackets, etc, and not about small amounts of it as trim. Nature gives us dark grays, charcoal, dark brown, etc but rarely black. Take note next time you're in the woods or field how much black clothing sticks out when in the field. I would suggest that the next time you see a blob of black when hunting it's either manmade or a black bear. So, I also never wear a black item - unless I'm going to be inside a blind where it can help you blend in with black inner walls.

A study - by Gore - showed that their Optifade camo was the "best" for concealment with regard to animal vision. I'd be interested to see a nonbiased study of camo and animal vision but I don't think it will happen. In the meantime choose the one you like best.

Many of my buddies refuse to wear camo because "it doesn't make any difference". They seem to kill just as much game as I do and I'm camoed from my hat to my boots.
I look at it this way - we all take our share of game animals but I look much better in all of my trophy photos! :D

Many of my buddies refuse to wear camo because "it doesn't make any difference". They seem to kill just as much game as I do and I'm camoed from my hat to my boots.
I look at it this way - we all take our share of game animals but I look much better in all of my trophy photos! :D

I like that thought for sure. Ha Ha

Thanks for all your input and advice, quite entertaining. I've decided on AS AT camo, I've lost 75 lbs of weight and need new clothes anyway. I definitely like the thought of looking better in the photos!

Several studies, including one released this past summer, suggest that deer (and likely therefore elk) see blue:

Video: New Study Sheds Light on What Deer See | Outdoor Life

Because of this I have not worn blue when big game hunting in many years. Yes, I know that plenty here will say that they've gotten game when wearing jeans but I don't take a chance.

Also, note that black is generally not a natural color. I'm talking about the same black that we wear on large items such as hats, jackets, etc, and not about small amounts of it as trim. Nature gives us dark grays, charcoal, dark brown, etc but rarely black. Take note next time you're in the woods or field how much black clothing sticks out when in the field. I would suggest that the next time you see a blob of black when hunting it's either manmade or a black bear. So, I also never wear a black item - unless I'm going to be inside a blind where it can help you blend in with black inner walls.

A study - by Gore - showed that their Optifade camo was the "best" for concealment with regard to animal vision. I'd be interested to see a nonbiased study of camo and animal vision but I don't think it will happen. In the meantime choose the one you like best.

Ever hunt in a burn? Even an old burn you can't hardly find a bear! I have heard that about blue and the ultra violet reflection off of man made materials, but if the elk see it move they will be alerted and most likely gone!
Bow hunting is way different then rifle hunting. I think camo is important while bow hunting so I wear Carhartt pants then.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts