Best Caliber Rifle Elk

Hi everyone, so I am new Elk and deer hunter. I grew up hunting mostly upland game. I am going on a guided Elk hunt in October in Idaho and I looking to purchase a larger caliber rifle than my 6.5 creedmoor. I've ready many articles debating this topic. I am a big guy 6-3 230. Not afraid of a little sore shoulder or kick. For a new hunter would you go 30-06, .300 MAG or even 300 WSM. I hunter mule deer there last year and the terrain is steep so and rugged so obviously weight is an issue. I was looking into the Tikka superior WSM or lite 300. Would appreciate any guidance! Thank you.

Welcome to the forum

What if any centerfire do you presently own and use?

300. Win. Mag great old cartridge! Recoil not objectionable in a standard weight Rifle ! Great choice of bullets .Once ,like all ammo was was, it was Easy to find !! I would personally look for one in a. Model 70 Super Grade ! I have s 300. Weatherby Mag. In a MarkV , which is Just a bit hotter than the 300. Win ! I hand load for it so I can dial it back to. Win mag velocities for Fun at Range the when I want to . 180 Grn and 200 Grn partitions good for Elk ! For. Me,the range limit for Elk , in either caliber is 400 yards ! That's just me ,I'm sure a Dozen shooters here have taken Elk way past that range with those calibers ! Best of luck in your selection!!

I agree with Feenix and would ask if hand loading or factory ammo.

If factory I'd go 300 winny, 7 rm then 30-06 in that order.

If hand loading then the skies the limit.

Top it with a quality scope in the 18-24 ounce range in quality rings and you'll be set. Don't skimp on the rings as a light weight magnum is hard on scopes.

Lastly FWIW, don't think you need to sacrifice rifle performance for weight. For comparison I'm 5'11 and was 212 when I hit the rugged nm mountains last year for my first public land hunt at 51 years of age. My 30 nosler weighs 9.5 lbs loaded to hunt with sling, bipod and ammo. A pound or two lighter wouldn't have mattered much. In reality I had plans of hitting the mountain at 205 but a Sept marriage and all that goes with life got in the way. I also did all my distance hiking with my rifle attached to my pack. Much easier on the shoulder and nothing flopping around leaving hands free for trekking poles. We did 4-6 miles per day at 85-9800 feet.

View attachment 346791View attachment 346792
I agree on 300 am 7rm then 3006. I love 06 but 300 and 7 mag absolutely a step up when its needed.

Hi everyone, so I am new Elk and deer hunter. I grew up hunting mostly upland game. I am going on a guided Elk hunt in October in Idaho and I looking to purchase a larger caliber rifle than my 6.5 creedmoor. I've ready many articles debating this topic. I am a big guy 6-3 230. Not afraid of a little sore shoulder or kick. For a new hunter would you go 30-06, .300 MAG or even 300 WSM. I hunter mule deer there last year and the terrain is steep so and rugged so obviously weight is an issue. I was looking into the Tikka superior WSM or lite 300. Would appreciate any guidance! Thank you.
Take a good look at 338 Norma, especially if you are going to handload for yourself.

I would enjoy hearing from guides or others that year after year have experienced many elk kills. My guess is they may be just as diverserd as then last few pages. Their are many outfitters that offer shooting classes out of frustration. They want to know if there client can execute and at what level.

You eventually reach a point of diminished returns as the cartridges get bigger. If you have to have more power, then you must have a heavier rifle to shoot it well. So you end up balancing Killing Power against recoil and how heavy a rifle you can carry.

A younger, stronger man full of endurance may choose a different weapon/cartridge than the same man will choose when he is in his 60's or 70's.

I want a cartridge/rifle that is more than a match for the game even if shot placement isn't perfect. But I also want it to be not too light, so that recoil won't take a toll on my marksmanship.

It is probably better to get into the best physical shape of your life first before agonizing too much about how much of a cannon you can tote and shoot well. Then no matter what you choose, you can carry it and shoot it better than you can when you are out of shape.

I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 300 WM. With 168 grain pills, it bucks a little off the bench, but is OK off the shoulder. Accuracy is good/excellent.

Im going to be 59 in couple months.I carry more rifle, that is lighter,bipod, 2x the optics,3x the range finder.Of when I was younger. Im probably slower on a fast timber shot, but better at LR. I packed a 340 wby for over 35 years,shot a few bulls and first as my son too with 243. Been shooting bulls across canyons for 30+. For my type of hunting a 338 rules. I did 14 hard mountain miles on one hunt last fall muley hunting.Still want it just as bad as I did when I was 20. But cant handle as much tough terrain.Last 12 years been running 338 NM, we get several animals a year in the 5-600 range. Have several friends running same, ones rifle has taken close to 40 elk, many pushing 1000 yrd. Shot a few bulls in ID and MT with my 325 wsm,son too in the 500 y range 200 NAB.I packed that lil 325 for years because so light,but always felt under gunned for the area I ran.

Attachments

• IMG_E3274.JPG
    IMG_E3274.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 54
300wm all day long. Shot a lot of big game in ID and have had a nice buck take off on my double lung with a 300wm 150gr. I shoot 180's and never had a problem if you make the right shot all the way out to 500(further if you are capable and pratice). Any gun will do the trick with a enough shooting and shot placement if you are with in range. 300wm tikka is what i shoot love my 6.5 tikka as well but the 300 is my elk gun every time. Also taken elk with 338wm. 300wm is a solid choice taken tons of western game with it never had to track very far at all.