Berger 6.5mm 156 gr. bullets. . .where are they???

In all honesty, I am building a rifle as we speak in 6.5SS that is built to shoot these bullets. Should have my barreled action from Axisworks in two weeks or so. Just waiting on Manners to build my stock that I ordered in January.

I just hope they come out soon. It was a toss up between the 156 Berger or the 150 Matrix. And we all know the 150 Matrix is now off the table. I do shoot the 150 SMK in my other 6.5SS w. 1:8" twist @ 3117fps. So might have to stick with those for now.

I just ran numbers on a 140 Berger with .307 B.C at 3220 vrs 156 .370 B.C at 3100 FPS 2" difference at 1,000
14" at 1100 yards.
I know the velocity difference drop would be close in my 6.5WSM based on other cartridges that I've shot with similar bullet weights

Lancetkenyon; The animal can move quite a ways before the bullet even gets 3300ft./ 1100yds. People that always shoot at targets know that targets don't move. You must realize that animals do move, unless they are sleeping or already dead. Do you understand my message doesn't have anything thing to do with what you posted ? Thank you, and please quit trying to baffle People with B.S. as your contrary ego gets in the way of being a responsible hunter and Sportsman ?

Lancetkenyon; The animal can move quite a ways before the bullet even gets 3300ft./ 1100yds. People that always shoot at targets know that targets don't move. You must realize that animals do move, unless they are sleeping or already dead. Do you understand my message doesn't have anything thing to do with what you posted ? Thank you, and please quit trying to baffle People with B.S. as your contrary ego gets in the way of being a responsible hunter and Sportsman ?
If you think ANY part of that lengthy post of mine that quoted you was serious or factual, you need serious help. Or did you just read the first part of my tongue in cheek response as a jab at you, get offended and not read the rest? Or possibly just not pick up on the dripping sarcasm?

And....."stationary" targets DO MOVE after a bullet has left the bore. Coriolis effect. Up/down or left/right.

If you think ANY part of that lengthy post of mine that quoted you was serious or factual, you need serious help. Or did you just read the first part of my tongue in cheek response as a jab at you, get offended and not read the rest? Or possibly just not pick up on the dripping sarcasm?

And....."stationary" targets DO MOVE after a bullet has left the bore. Coriolis effect. Up/down or left/right.
Pretty sure he read the first couple lines then just saw red ha ha. I was a little taken aback at first as well, then began to giggle.....

Sir, I wasn't offended; as my original statement was made about Sportsmanship of Hunters. Coriolis effect only matters in some directions of the projectile's travel, so I don't go to the "n'th°" of your mile target Bible or on spin drift either. Bullet dynamics matter more when you are shooting extra long range at targets, than if you're shooting a half-mile at game. I wasn't trying to be offensive, and certainly shouldn't be chided for prize game animal concerns. Even Kirby Allen has time-of-flight limits on his powerful ultra-magnums as they truly can kill from a long, long distance
away. Advise doesn't always mean discernment, sometimes it is a lower fraction of guarded caution

Sir, I wasn't offended; as my original statement was made about Sportsmanship of Hunters. Coriolis effect only matters in some directions of the projectile's travel, so I don't go to the "n'th°" of your mile target Bible or on spin drift either. Bullet dynamics matter more when you are shooting extra long range at targets, than if you're shooting a half-mile at game. I wasn't trying to be offensive, and certainly shouldn't be chided for prize game animal concerns. Even Kirby Allen has time-of-flight limits on his powerful ultra-magnums as they truly can kill from a long, long distance
away. Advise doesn't always mean discernment, sometimes it is a lower fraction of guarded caution
Gotcha. And I agree with not taking ultra long range shots on big game animals.

Even though I regularly shoot at targets well over a mile, I have yet to personally take big game at even half that distance. 662 yards is my longest shot on a bull elk standing broadside with 0 wind. I have shot coyotes over 1300 on a few occasions. And even a squirrel at 1201 yards. No joke.

Coriolis does effect target movement at any direction you choose to shoot, but it takes a long distance to see it's effect enough to make a difference. And TOF makes a difference in the effect as well.

So does spin drift. And that doesn't take near the distance to see the effect.

But those are discussions for another thread. Because we all know the 156 Berger will defeat the Coriolis and spin drift effects.

Especially in a 6.5 Creed
I hope they start chambering the 25 SST Sherman with the 131 gr. ACE Blackjack bullet. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor, but I certainly get tired of hearing about it. The 25 Creedmoor is a better well balanced cartridge than anything in it's case capacity in 6 or 6.5 mm. We had to wait a long time for technology to catch up in the .257" realm, that is all.

I've shot and seen enough game shot with 140 Bergers vs 150 and 160 gr Matrix to know there is a difference when you punch game, there is a noticeable difference on touch down especially when you start pushing out over 800 and on elk, still the 140 gets it done but just looking at numbers don't really tell the whole reason for wanting the 150+ gr class 6.5!!

Your exactly right Rian, but expecting to see a really big difference in a hunting situation is in my opinion gonna be disappointing. If it doesnt fly straight B.C. doesn't mean anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts