Berger 108 on groundhogs

Seabeeken

Hit on a good load with Berger 108 Elite Hunter when testing bullets over the last couple weeks. Anyone have experience in using them on groundhogs and coyotes?
Its running 3238 fps, ES 13.2 out of a 244 Rem AI

Attachments

• 6ai berg 108 EH.jpeg
    6ai berg 108 EH.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 30
That rifle is shooting fantastic!
I don't have any experience with that 108 but I have shot the 105 hunting VLD some.
They shot good out of my 240 WBY with a 7.5 twist Krieger and resulted in deer dropping dead in their tracks. I also shot a real small mangey fox. He ran 50 yards showing no signs of being hit (thought I missed and stood there dumfounded). Found him with little damage, he was small, and the hit was less than perfect. I think because of the marginal hit and little resistance to the bullet, it resulted in no expansion. Only an example of one on a small animal. More testing is needed. ;)
I think you may get expansion on a large groundhog or a coyote. One way to find out,,,
Good shooting

With my 8 twist 6mm AI, I once shot a big chuck with a 105 Hornady AMax (red plastic tip-discontinued) at 300 yards using a case full of H1000. It killed the chuck instantly but passed thru with no apparent damage. I then went to a 10 twist 6mm AI using 87 Vmax bullets at just under 3,500 using a case full of VN165. I have shot a few chucks, one at 800 yards, using the 140 grain Sierra GK out of a 6.5-06 and it killed quickly.
My guess is that the 108 Berger should do just fine but without spectacular visual effects.

Last edited:
Hit on a good load with Berger 108 Elite Hunter when testing bullets over the last couple weeks. Anyone have experience in using them on groundhogs and coyotes?
Its running 3238 fps, ES 13.2 out of a 244 Rem AI
I would use it, try it on a few groundhogs to see how it works. I use the 80 gr. A-max in my 22x47 Lapua and it really is impressive on groundhogs, but I have had a gut shot groundhog get back in the hole. I have shot two coyotes with that bullet one was drt the other one ran about 75 yards and died they were hit approximately in the same place (go figure). With that kind of accuracy I would use that bullet and not worry about killing power as it will be just fine and for long range good accuracy is a plus.
Drags

Im shooting N-165 also. Rifle likes it with the heavies. N-160 with most anything else. That was my concern, lack of expansion. It seems to take at least 2” for expansion to begin from what i can find on the 108 tests but not likly to be explosive unless very close. This 8 twist shoots about .5 with the 70-87 gr bullets. 62 gr vg at 3750 had about 80% flying apart between 200 and 300 yds thanks!

Recent Posts