Benelli supernova anyone?

I would second the Franchi as a good option and the Winchester SX4 as a very good option. I have run an SX4 for the past 3 years shooting 1 1/8 grouse loads, 3" and some 3.5" waterfowl and turkey loads from nice fall days in the 60s to my gun froze to the bottom of the boat and I have yet to have a malfunction. It is very fast, has a great oversized buttons for safe and bolt release, easy to tear down and clean, and has great finish options. The 3.5" is still in your budget too. Pretty easy to find them in most finishes for hi 8s low 9s$$
And your sx4 cycles the lighter 2.75 shells without issue as well? Dang it, I'll have to look more into those as well, I had just always heard that pumps were the last word on reliability in any conditions with any ammunition.

And your sx4 cycles the lighter 2.75 shells without issue as well? Dang it, I'll have to look more into those as well, I had just always heard that pumps were the last word on reliability in any conditions with any ammunition.
Yep, it has cycled everything. I am a pump guy at heart, but the proven pumps seem to have cheapened up with softer materials and stamped parts. The BPS and 870 are not what they once were, at least from what I have seen and the auto loaders just keep getting better and better. The Super Nova and nova never really fit me all that well and the rattle is more than I can handle, but they do seem to run well.

I have a winchester SX3 and at first it didn't work on really light loads but after the first duck season it will run everything, sometimes they need to be shot some to break them in

Yep, it has cycled everything. I am a pump guy at heart, but the proven pumps seem to have cheapened up with softer materials and stamped parts. The BPS and 870 are not what they once were, at least from what I have seen and the auto loaders just keep getting better and better. The Super Nova and nova never really fit me all that well and the rattle is more than I can handle, but they do seem to run well.
That "rattle" you mention is the single notable detractor from the overall appeal of this shotgun for me. Man it's rattly!!!! Probably doesn't matter but it's just annoying.

I've never had like a serious modern waterfowl shotgun and am in the market for something not too pricey (under 1000) but not the absolute cheapest junk possible (those Turkish made guns that go by about half a dozen brands, the mossberg mavericks, etc).

I've been handling a few different ones at my work and actually have been coming to think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the 3.5 inch chamber benelli supernova. It seems to have a lot going for it and feels comfortable and natural to shoulder and cycle for me. I appreciate the extra large trigger guard as well.

Any reason I shouldn't?
I have 2 SBE and a Supernova. Love them all and they take all the nasty weather that will come your way when waterfowl hunting. The Supernova does have a little more kick to it but when you are hunting waterfowl you will most likely have a coat and gloves on. I've never noticed the recoil as the excitement of the hunt unfolds and you focus on the birds. Excellent gun. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

First gun I bought was a $200 Benelli Nova from a pawn shop. Thing was well worn when I got it. But my experience duck hunting by that point was a lot of getting rained on and wading in waist deep water to get to a spot. I had carried my brother's Belgian A5 on a couple of hunts and was tired of babying it around water. Never looked back, I love my Nova. It would fall in the water, get mud all over it from laying in boats with decoys and still keep on going. Ater 10 years of that abuse I had to replace the hammer spring. Works like a champ to this day.

When I got my first job out of college I bought a brand spanking new supernova and it's been awesome. Just want a rifled slug barrel to shoot deer with it.

Shooting 3.5s doesn't bother me, but then again some guys are going to 20s anyway because they don't like the kick of a 12.

They're like 870's built like tanks, plenty of aftermarket chokes, and other accessories. My duck hunting buddy has been running one for 7 years or so. He's not gentle on equipment, rarely cleans it, slings 3.5" black cloud shells and flat kills with it. When he drags it from its case it sounds like everything on/in it is loose it rattles like a tackle box but he's had zero issues. I've seen him unload and use it as a boat paddle, seen it frozen solid thawed out in front of a buddy heater and shot after. It's been dropped in the mud rinsed out in the lake hit with rem oil and kept trucking. I think he's insane for slinging 3.5's, but if it'll hold up to his shenanigans it'll hold up to anything.
I grew up with Remingtons and now run a Benelli sbe3 if running high volume I like the reduced recoil of the semi.

They're like 870's built like tanks, plenty of aftermarket chokes, and other accessories. My duck hunting buddy has been running one for 7 years or so. He's not gentle on equipment, rarely cleans it, slings 3.5" black cloud shells and flat kills with it. When he drags it from its case it sounds like everything on/in it is loose it rattles like a tackle box but he's had zero issues. I've seen him unload and use it as a boat paddle, seen it frozen solid thawed out in front of a buddy heater and shot after. It's been dropped in the mud rinsed out in the lake hit with rem oil and kept trucking. I think he's insane for slinging 3.5's, but if it'll hold up to his shenanigans it'll hold up to anything.
I could swear you were talking about my brother-in-law.

I've never had like a serious modern waterfowl shotgun and am in the market for something not too pricey (under 1000) but not the absolute cheapest junk possible (those Turkish made guns that go by about half a dozen brands, the mossberg mavericks, etc).

I've been handling a few different ones at my work and actually have been coming to think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the 3.5 inch chamber benelli supernova. It seems to have a lot going for it and feels comfortable and natural to shoulder and cycle for me. I appreciate the extra large trigger guard as well.

Any reason I shouldn't?
My go to shotgun for everything is a 12ga Benelli for many years. Years ago, for waterfowl hunting I switched to 3" shells and no longer shoot the 3-1/2" and my shooting / kill ratio greatly improved. Sold my 3-1/2" waterfowl shotshells to the youngsters that I hunt with.