Love for my "old" Benelli M1

Litehiker

I have a Benelli M1 that I bought almost 25 years ago. I got it for duck, goose, upland game and turkey hunting.

For waterfowl and upland game it has a standard stock, short magazine and long barrel.

For turkey (and any "turkey" stupid enough to invade my home) I switch it over to pistol grip stock, long magazine and short barrel.

This shotgun is ugly, tough and utterly reliable. I love it and take good care of it after the hunt. During the hunt it gets "tough love" i.e. no pampering. And it is the only shotgun I own. Don't need anything else.

Yeah, I own a few non-Benelli chokes, one extra-full for turkey (& "turkeys") and one rifled for zombies but the rest are Benelli chokes.

Eric B.

Many say that the M1 and SBE I were the finest Benelli
ever produced....almost impossible to shoot them out

Agreed, bought mine cause I didn't even have a shotgun and thought
I should at least have one. Seems like I had one or two failure to eject on the first box but it has never missed a beat since.
Weird how some things I own are sooooo old now.:cool:

Mine is an m2 but I feel the same way. It has been used as a rudder while sliding down a mountain after a slip, more than once, it's broken ice, I've used it to help get out of a hole in the marsh, caught run away decoys, led the way through willows and it still has gone bang every time. Could probably use a new hydro dip but that's just not it's style. It's not neglected, it's a tool and gets used as one.

My 11-87 was babied out of necessity. If it got mud, willows, sagebrush, bug dust, really anything around the action or down the mag tube, it would not feed. If it got very dirty it would not eject. It sits in the dark corner at the back of the safe now.

Last edited:
There is nothing like the Benelli family. I have a few and I still grab my M1 or SBE to roll out most of the time. Great handling, no recoil and easy to clean

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.