beginner turkey hunter questions

I like number 5 heavy shot. But if you're using lead number 4 is just perfect. You wanna use a full choke or even an extra full if you have one for your shotgun. That's all you really need as long as you get the Turkey within 4045 yd. And the face camouflage is mandatory you must have it. Don't move while the Turkey has a clear line of sight to you. Wait until he goes behind a tree to raise your gun. If you move while he has a clear line of sight to you your Turkey will be gone and you will not get a shot. But if you wait till he goes behind something raise your gun put the bead on the neck and between the the body and the Head. Boom, you got him! Turkey hunting since I was 13.

Just go have fun on your hunt and let us know about the experience. Like many have said, turkey hunting is addictive and very challenging. Their eyesight and hearing is unparalleled and as someone else mentioned, thank goodness they can't smell or you would never kill one!. When you are calling a turkey, if that bird can hear you he knows exactly where you are. I swear they can see you bat an eyelash 100 yards away. It may sound crazy but I get as excited calling in a big Tom as I do shooting a 160 class whitetail with my bow. I can't describe the sensation of a big Tom drumming and spitting just out of sight. It's like the vibration goes through your whole body..........I can't wait to go now!!!!

I have never turkey hunted before but this year I have the opportunity to try it. I have done lots of hunting for big game but where I live you have to draw a permit to hunt turkeys and this is the first year I have ever drawn a permit. I have a 12 gauge but it only 2 3/4 and the biggest shot I have for it is #3. Is this enough for a turkey? What kind of range should I shoot with this set up? I know these are horrible questions but this is a little out of my realm. When I found out I drew the permit I started looking for bigger shot but it seems impossible to find. Thanks for any advice.
I'm sending you a private message please read it.!

the choke tube will make a huge difference on the best shot size.
I'm a #5 lead, heavy shot blend, and the best is TSS. Nothing comes close to TSS in terms of performance or price (unfortunately). BUT you need the right tube for it. My #9 TSS shoots 350-360 in 10" @40 yards.
The winchester long beard is the preferred lead load.

Youtube and Oldgobbler.com should provide great tips.

The #3 shot should be fine but I like a mix of #4 and #6. Use a full or if possible, extra full choke and keep the shot distance to 40 yards or less. Good camouflage, practice on a call that you like and if possible, use a decoy. A crow call or owl call can be used as a locator. Good luck!

I have never turkey hunted before but this year I have the opportunity to try it. I have done lots of hunting for big game but where I live you have to draw a permit to hunt turkeys and this is the first year I have ever drawn a permit. I have a 12 gauge but it only 2 3/4 and the biggest shot I have for it is #3. Is this enough for a turkey? What kind of range should I shoot with this set up? I know these are horrible questions but this is a little out of my realm. When I found out I drew the permit I started looking for bigger shot but it seems impossible to find. Thanks for any advice.
Number 6 shot is is my favorite
Full choke is my take
If your gun takes chokes they make widow maker or turkey choke as well as turkey loads.
Decoys are good not too much calling, and don't worry about how you sound no turkey sounds the same , look for roosting in trees at dust and be near in am when they fly down

Turkey hunting is the most fun and frustrating thing you will hunt. I'm a big fan of the Winchester Long Beard XR loads. The #5 shot works the best with my gun/choke setup. If you know where the birds like to roost and their daily travel patterns, a pop-up blind gives you the advantage of hiding movement. The downside to them is that they really aren't mobile if you want to take the run & gun approach. Patience will be your friend when you are trying to call in toms. They will sneak in quietly and will catch you completely unprepared resulting in you not getting a shot. Ask me how I know....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts