Beginner gun fanatic

When I was in the army we'd dry fire in the unsupported prone position with a coin, usually a dime or penny, on the end of the barrel and make sure you could pull the trigger without knocking the coin off. Would help with trigger control/breathing/etc but my biggest lessons were obtained simply shooting at the range. Breathing, trigger control, getting into a comfortable and supported position to hold steady are staples for me. You may or may not have the convenience of getting to the range frequently but you can practice shooting fundamentals without firing live ammo. Get a snap cap for whatever caliber you've got and practice aiming/dry firing at a small target in your basement. YouTube is full of experts but the snipers hide guy has some good instructional videos
Ive never heard of this on but ill definitely need to try this

Thanks
Stay safe

When I was in the army we'd dry fire in the unsupported prone position with a coin, usually a dime or penny, on the end of the barrel and make sure you could pull the trigger without knocking the coin off. Would help with trigger control/breathing/etc but my biggest lessons were obtained simply shooting at the range. Breathing, trigger control, getting into a comfortable and supported position to hold steady are staples for me. You may or may not have the convenience of getting to the range frequently but you can practice shooting fundamentals without firing live ammo. Get a snap cap for whatever caliber you've got and practice aiming/dry firing at a small target in your basement. YouTube is full of experts but the snipers hide guy has some good instructional videos
Just a little off the subject. When I was in the Marines if a shooter pulled or jerked the trigger the instructor would take a "Paper Staple" and put a Staple in the trigger finger so the shooter would then gently "Squeeze" the trigger.

Glad to see that you are interested in shooting and especially Long Range. You can get a lot of information from a Forum like LRH.

Be careful with what words you use to describe yourself.
A " Gun Fanatic" might not be the proper word. Synonyms: Zealot, Extremists, Militant, Radical.
Maybe "Enthusiastic" a better word.

Young man, try to find a mentor and above all learn the Safety Rules. Awful lot of people are shot with empty firearms and by accidental discharge.
Best wishes and glad to see you taking up this sport. If we can help you out please contact us.
Merry Christmas!

Len & Jill

Welcome to the forum from Central Florida. You have gotten a lot of great advice. Trigger control, squeeze don't snatch or jerk. Squeezing it will be smoother and keep you on target. Breathing control. A don't jump into big calibers unnecessarily, a 22 LR or something with minimal recoil will give you something to get the fundamentals down and not allow you to develop a flinch when you pull the trigger. If you decide to the military can teach a lot of you enlist.

Just a little off the subject. When I was in the Marines if a shooter pulled or jerked the trigger the instructor would take a "Paper Staple" and put a Staple in the trigger finger so the shooter would then gently "Squeeze" the trigger.

Glad to see that you are interested in shooting and especially Long Range. You can get a lot of information from a Forum like LRH.

Be careful with what words you use to describe yourself.
A " Gun Fanatic" might not be the proper word. Synonyms: Zealot, Extremists, Militant, Radical.
Maybe "Enthusiastic" a better word.

Young man, try to find a mentor and above all learn the Safety Rules. Awful lot of people are shot with empty firearms and by accidental discharge.
Best wishes and glad to see you taking up this sport. If we can help you out please contact us.
Merry Christmas!

Len & Jill
I thought the same thing when I saw the word fanatic. It doesn't bother me a bit but there are people out there that absolutely hate us because we own guns. Their favorite description of us is "gun nuts". You can't change these folks mind. They despise us. They want our guns. Don't give them any ammunition so to speak.

Lots of great advice! Welcome, young man, and you`ve already exhibited the trait that will get you many leagues down the track to being an excellent marksman. THE WILLINGNESS TO LISTEN, READ, AND LEARN ! Just remember, SAFETY TRUMPS EVERYTHING!

For learning marksmanship skills, starting with aiir rifles and 22LR was good advice. You can get a lot of practice without going broke. A good shooter can surprise you with a 22LR. The main thing you'll learn with slower calibers is follow through - which is basically maintaining position until the bullet hits target. So, so important. You'd be surprised how easy it is to move/react before the bullet leaves the barrel in slower calibers. Some of the best all around shooters I know learned on slower calibers.

Ill add tthat if you can shoot a quality spring piston air rifle well, you can shoot anything else great. I used to shoot springers competitively, and when I started focusing more on regular firearms, honestly, it was easy. To transfer over to powder burners, theres different equipment, additional techniques, and learning reloading, but the basic skills transfer. Spring pistons can be very hold sensitive, and you'll learn to become completely "silent" with you body. You dont have to have springer to learn this, but it can sure speed up the process.