Beginner gun fanatic

I am not a pro. I did get paid to be a part time precision shooter for a stint. First would be reading some quality books on shooting skills from proper hold, equal/repeated pressure, trigger pull, cheek weld, and overall basics on shooting accurately. Then try to get some hands on help from someone who can interpret and teach skills. Just because they are a good shot does not make them a good teacher. Look at a quality PCP air rifle ($4-600) and I would suggest a 22cal. A 22LR bolt gun is even less expensive for the gun just more per shot. My PCP is more accurate than any of my 22's (non target)
Brief intro: Start close 50' with single step fundamentals with no shots and eventually single shots....lots and lots of reps. IE: From a rested position, bench/prone eyes closed, mount the gun into a shooting position, pause then open eyes and check sight picture. Not where it is perfectly in the "bullseye" just the overall sight picture you get on an easy to see target. Does not matter where it is on the target it should be full, clear, and comfortable not fighting to get a good sight picture. Next, add in aiming in on a target after proper sight picture, and adjust body so you can close eyes completely relax, open and still be on target. This requires body alignment and proper and equal/repeatable grip and pressure with all fingers. (that is just proper mount and sight alignment steps) Then you have breathing, trigger control, follow through and have not fired one live round yet.
Those I have instructed get to shoot some no matter what just for the experience and enjoyment. The shooting is key and working on those skill steps in the shooting. Fun shooting is great just remember now is the time to instill the base stones and bad habits can be base stones almost impossible to move.

I am a 16 year old boy who is a gun fanatic trying to get some advice from some people who are also big gun fanatics. Whats some things that i could do as a beginner to get better at shooting.
I am really trying to get into long range precision shooting.
So any tips from the pros would help.
Thanks 🙏
Welcome.
I'm in east central Minnesota, whereabouts in the state are you located?

I'm sure it's been said but find a good mentor. Look, listen, and learn. Before you do that, learn the rules of gun handling and safety. Backward, forward, upside down and practice them religiously. Someone will be a whole lot more willing to work with you if you demonstrate good safety and handling skills. Be polite, thankful, and respectful. Folks will be a lot more likely to keep working with you. Start small. A 22 rifle or even a good pellet rifle can help you build your skills And cost a whole lot less for the trigger time.
Seriously, I have an acquaintance with a built .357 pellet gun that lives on John's Island SC which is pretty crowded. He shoots out to around 250 yards with this thing. He and I were easily knocking off shotshell hulls with it at over 100 yards. He has video of himself killing deer with it. It will give you a whole new perspective on reading the wind as you can actually see the pellet moving with the breeze when you shoot. He would not tell me what he paid for it, the scope, and the special compressor required to charge it. You'd get 15-20 firings on a charge. I suspect he has more tied up in it than I have in my truck. But he found a way to shoot daily in his tight surroundings at home which is pretty neat.

Last edited:
Or find yourself a few kegs of choice powder and 20,000 or so large rifle primers. Or just go big. Go to the local range and ride around for a little bit with the merchandise where people can see it and maybe suggest you'd let some of it go for some good pointers. You'll either make friends in a hurry or get mugged awful quick.

When I was in the army we'd dry fire in the unsupported prone position with a coin, usually a dime or penny, on the end of the barrel and make sure you could pull the trigger without knocking the coin off. Would help with trigger control/breathing/etc but my biggest lessons were obtained simply shooting at the range. Breathing, trigger control, getting into a comfortable and supported position to hold steady are staples for me. You may or may not have the convenience of getting to the range frequently but you can practice shooting fundamentals without firing live ammo. Get a snap cap for whatever caliber you've got and practice aiming/dry firing at a small target in your basement. YouTube is full of experts but the snipers hide guy has some good instructional videos

You have received a lot of good advice from a lot of members that know what they are talking about. Owning and being around firearms is taking on a lot of responsibility and should be taken seriously. Remember to keep it fun, be safe and enjoy. For me I have found that if I am enjoying what I'm doing I am more willing to work hard at it. Best wishes

Shoot w/ a 22LR Rifle as much as possible. Get Snap Caps for your centerfire, dry fire it daily.

This...best advice you'll get!

shoot offhand @ 25 yds and 50 yds at 1" orange target dots. I shoot one clip (10 rounds 77/22) off the right side then I go to the left and do the same. You can also do this off the bench and work up to sitting, leaning etc.

Good on you for reaching out

Practice not equipment make the shooter

Recent Posts