Bear country pistol

I would never consider myself a pistolero, but one in the head from a SW500 or 454 Casull of right bullet would be lights out most likely. I sure would rather hit it with the one on the right.
View attachment 542953
Absolutely, there's no doubt. Hit being the operative word. I went through this argument in the other thread too, the issue is in order to have a high hit probability you have to practice, a lot. If you practice with that big bore a lot, then by all means, carry it.
I would venture a guess that 90-95% of people who buy a big bore revolver for bear defense do not practice with them remotely enough to hit a charging bear with a stopping shot
I once had the opportunity to fire a freedom arms model 83 in 454 casull and it was the most violently unpleasant gun I've ever shot. Thats not even mentioning the added mechanics of running wheelguns
I'll stick to a striker fired 10mm that I can practice with comfortably and draw-point-shoot relying on instinct and actually hit a bear if heaven forbid i did ever end up in the situation

search up the long running thread on this topic from a few years back. I made the same suggestion back then and got absolutely crucified lol
There's a lot of pistoleros on this forum that can easily lay 6 in the head of a bear with a 454 casull or 500 s&w in quick succession
Try to hit a basketball kicked away from you with your six shooter. Then report back on how many times you hit it. Remember, a bear can run as fast a a quarter horse for about fifty yards. You have about three seconds to clear leather then apply bullet holes. Good luck!

I can't tell you , Canada is gay and we're not allowed to defend ourselves and hand guns are bad.In Canada we like to just play dead
95CE612C-681B-44A9-B631-6E34F8870051.jpeg

Last edited:
Try to hit a basketball kicked away from you with your six shooter. Then report back on how many times you hit it. Remember, a bear can run as fast a a quarter horse for about fifty yards. You have about three seconds to clear leather then apply bullet holes. Good luck!
8C2FF86A-A062-4A92-9DC4-502EB94C9799.jpeg

Bears sure are fast. Just ask this guy from Alberta how fast grizzly's are.

Glock 40 MOS with hardcast lead. Or a double action 44 mag with hard cast as long as you can control it with heavy rounds and make quick accurate follow-up shots.

10mm may not be the biggest bear medicine, but if you can get 2-3 rounds down accurately compared to a 44, 45, 454, 480, etc. You are ahead of the game.

Used to carry a S&W 4" barrel .44 Mag. Now carry a Sig P320 10mm with 15+1. I practice with the Sig 10mm a lot and I also practice/qualify with similar striker fired pistols (P320 9mm and G17 9mm). I feel much more confident that I can put rounds on target quickly and more accurately with the 10mm than with the .44 Mag revolver. Hope to never find out, but I like my chances much better with the 10mm pistol loaded with Underwood ammo and Lehigh Defense bullets.

Absolutely, there's no doubt. Hit being the operative word. I went through this argument in the other thread too, the issue is in order to have a high hit probability you have to practice, a lot. If you practice with that big bore a lot, then by all means, carry it.
I would venture a guess that 90-95% of people who buy a big bore revolver for bear defense do not practice with them remotely enough to hit a charging bear with a stopping shot
I once had the opportunity to fire a freedom arms model 83 in 454 casull and it was the most violently unpleasant gun I've ever shot. Thats not even mentioning the added mechanics of running wheelguns
I'll stick to a striker fired 10mm that I can practice with comfortably and draw-point-shoot relying on instinct and actually hit a bear if heaven forbid i did ever end up in the situation
Bingo.

In my case with the Glock 19, practice is about as easy as it comes as I have an abundance of ammo…I mean a lot.

That's what has kept me from the 10mm. Not nearly as easy to find an abundance of brass to rip through thousands of rounds. Seems like it has been easier more recently though. I load my own.

I typically carry a Wilson Combat Hunter chambered in 460 Rowland. Underwood Xtreme Penetrator 460 Rowland ammo. Time to first shot is between 0.8 and 1 second from a Level 2 OWB retention holster, with split times of about 0.4 seconds for all A ring hits at 10 yards.

Is that good enough? I hope so, but I would love to not have to find out.

I typically carry a Wilson Combat Hunter chambered in 460 Rowland. Underwood Xtreme Penetrator 460 Rowland ammo. Time to first shot is between 0.8 and 1 second from a Level 2 OWB retention holster, with split times of about 0.4 seconds for all A ring hits at 10 yards.

Is that good enough? I hope so, but I would love to not have to find out.
Seems like it to me.